National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
the more mainstream, the more options.....especially holsters.
sig sp2202......heck of a gun, has a hammer, and a bit lighter on the hip for all night carry.....and from my experience, a true value.

if you just want to go off the beaten path....cz75pcr....now that is sweet. fits me, very accurate weapon....for its size it beats everything in its class.......
Yes, that Sig 2022 is a sweet little gun.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,253 Posts
Why do you prefer hammer fired as opposed to striker? if you don’t mind me asking
I'm the opposite. I own hammer guns, I like them but for self defense my preference is striker fired guns.
Since pie in the sky "what ifs" often get thrown around in these conversations..... If there is a physical altercation or scuffle, the rear of a hammer fired gun could be grabbed and it could instantly render the gun useless as long as that hand/clothing etc is in the way. A striker fired gun is still going to fire in that situation as there's no hammer to block.

I like Smith and Wesson M&P and H&K striker fired pistols.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I stayed out of this but no more so here we go. I'm a Ruger man so my answer to everything is a Ruger. A Ruger American or a Security-9. Ruger has always been to me an affordable well built dependable firearm with outstanding customer service and warranty.

Reactions: Trev1337

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, that Sig 2022 is a sweet little gun.
I would think in your job, reliability would be job one, but to each his own.

I owned a Browning High Power once. It was such a pain in the ass to strip I sold it !!! Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
For what its worth.

I now own approximately 400 firearms. I own three (3) 'modern' handguns chambered in 9x19mm.
SIG-Sauer P.226
CZ 75b
Browning Hi-Power
That's way too many. I give you $500 for your Citori if I remember correctly you make an easy $100

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
That's way too many. I give you $500 for your Citori if I remember correctly you make an easy $100
You remember correctly. No thanks.

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm the opposite. I own hammer guns, I like them but for self defense my preference is striker fired guns.
Since pie in the sky "what ifs" often get thrown around in these conversations..... If there is a physical altercation or scuffle, the rear of a hammer fired gun could be grabbed and it could instantly render the gun useless as long as that hand/clothing etc is in the way. A striker fired gun is still going to fire in that situation as there's no hammer to block.

This makes sense and I can agree with it as well, thanks for sharing!

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I stayed out of this but no more so here we go. I'm a Ruger man so my answer to everything is a Ruger. A Ruger American or a Security-9. Ruger has always been to me an affordable well built dependable firearm with outstanding customer service and warranty.
I will check this out, thank you!

·
Registered
14,765 Posts

If you are in the situation where you can grab the gun then you can render any pistol inoperable by grabbing the slide and pushing it back just a 1/8 inch. Even if you can't move the slide if the gun is fired with you holding on to it the slide will jam and there won't be a second shot. I'm sure it will hurt like hell but not as bad as getting shot multiple times. Isn't there some old saying,charge a gun and run from a knife? Of course if you're a liberal you can use your gun and shoot the other gun out of the guys hand and then shoot him in the pinky toe to render them helpless and not take a life......

·
Registered
14,765 Posts
It sounds funny but i lost track of the times i have seen people comment on shootings(especially police involved) where people would say why didn't they shoot the gun out of the persons hand or why didnt they shoot them in the leg instead of killing them. I believe even dopey joe made a comment like that not long ago. They must think Hollywood movies are real life adventures..

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
You can "What if" the thing to death.

1. There is NO gun that will be the perfect firearm in ALL situations.
2. Get one you like and learn to handle it and learn to handle it well. That means..........
3. Practice, practice, practice, drill, drill, drill until you've got it. Then do it all again.

The training you receive while learning to use it as a duty weapon is the only part of the equation that matters at all.

I carried a Beretta 92FS on duty. Never had to use it in an altercation. Damn glad I knew how to use it in a lot of different possible scenarios but it was always clear in the forefront of my mind that my training didn't include those situations we didn't think of in OS courses.

Overcome your fear. Develop a fighting mindset which keeps you in your training and keeps you clear headed in a fast-moving dangerous situation. Know what your weapon is for and use it accordingly. Or not, as the case may be.

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Oh, and practice with various different types of firearms just in case.

--Wag--

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You can "What if" the thing to death.

1. There is NO gun that will be the perfect firearm in ALL situations.
2. Get one you like and learn to handle it and learn to handle it well. That means..........
3. Practice, practice, practice, drill, drill, drill until you've got it. Then do it all again.

The training you receive while learning to use it as a duty weapon is the only part of the equation that matters at all.

I carried a Beretta 92FS on duty. Never had to use it in an altercation. Damn glad I knew how to use it in a lot of different possible scenarios but it was always clear in the forefront of my mind that my training didn't include those situations we didn't think of in OS courses.

Overcome your fear. Develop a fighting mindset which keeps you in your training and keeps you clear headed in a fast-moving dangerous situation. Know what your weapon is for and use it accordingly. Or not, as the case may be.

--Wag--
Great advice thanks a ton!

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If I was duty carrying, it would be a Springfield. I’ve had 13 Springfields, still have 11. I plan to replace the 2 I sold with the same models.
Thanks man I do like Springfield

·
Registered
31 Posts
Full size hammer fired suggestions:
-CZ P09 (polymer)
-CZ 75B or BD, SP-01/SP-01 tactical (all metal)

Full size striker fired suggestion:
-CZ p10f optics ready

·
Registered
2 Posts
My favorite 9 mm is the SPHINX SDP.

Absolutely reliable and super accurate. Also not Heavy for all day carry; carries concealed AIWB in a JM Custom holster.

I Agree with the Sig 226, also. But I prefer the Sig 220 in .45 and carried it on duty.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Eh I know I am kind of old school Ruger P anything in 9mm (I prefer the 89) it is a tank, weather resistant not proof still has to be cleaned after rainy/snowy days. Like I said I am old school.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts