National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for suggestions for a full-sized 9mm for duty carry.

I have been suggested a Canik.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Holsters, accessories, etc. for the Canik TP9SA?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
Sig Sauer P226

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Those are two very good suggestions. Is this for private duty, municipal or personal?

·
Live Free
3,462 Posts
I have heard good things about Canik, but no first hand experience. I am not a big fan of striker guns, so I am inclined toward hammer fired pistols. The Sig P226 is a quality pistol by any standard, I would also note the FNX-9 is a great service pistol as well.

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
I have 3 Caniks. The are nice fire arms. They come with a retention holster. And different size grips. For your job. I think they fit the bill.

Reactions: Trev1337

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 3 Caniks. The are nice fire arms. They come with a retention holster. And different size grips. For your job. I think they fit the bill.
thanks so much for your input, I checked a few out at my company’s shop today and really liked the feel

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard good things about Canik, but no first hand experience. I am not a big fan of striker guns, so I am inclined toward hammer fired pistols. The Sig P226 is a quality pistol by any standard, I would also note the FNX-9 is a great service pistol as well.
Why do you prefer hammer fired as opposed to striker? if you don’t mind me asking

·
Live Free
3,462 Posts
Why do you prefer hammer fired as opposed to striker? if you don’t mind me asking
My experience is that a striker fired gun will on occasion give a light strike for seemingly no reason whatever. I am referring to that one in a thousand that has no apparent cause, and if the cartridge is fed through again the same gun fires it just fine. And, yes I do know how to properly clean and lube my firearms ( just in case you were wondering). Hammer fired guns don’t do that. In addition most hammer fired da/sa triggers are superior to striker gun triggers.
Don’t get me wrong, I carry a striker gun as my edc because it is compact and light, but for a duty gun I will go for a hammer fired gun. There are plenty to choose from. Beretta and CZ also have some good options to consider.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
For what its worth.

I now own approximately 400 firearms. I own three (3) 'modern' handguns chambered in 9x19mm.
SIG-Sauer P.226
CZ 75b
Browning Hi-Power

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My experience is that a striker fired gun will on occasion give a light strike for seemingly no reason whatever. I am referring to that one in a thousand that has no apparent cause, and if the cartridge is fed through again the same gun fires it just fine. And, yes I do know how to properly clean and lube my firearms ( just in case you were wondering). Hammer fired guns don’t do that. In addition most hammer fired da/sa triggers are superior to striker gun triggers.
Don’t get me wrong, I carry a striker gun as my edc because it is compact and light, but for a duty gun I will go for a hammer fired gun. There are plenty to choose from. Beretta and CZ also have some good options to consider.
Thanks for sharing your insight!

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
My 1st Canik is a hammer fired. It's under the Tri-star brand C-100. My other 2 are striker fired. TP9SF and the other is the SFX competition gun. Great triggers for being striker fired.

Reactions: Trev1337

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
One good reason is the hammer is visible.
Now, these torture tests which you see, on youtube, where they grind firearms into the mud, then try to fire them,
in the real world, who really does that? In 9999 of 10,000 cases, if you merely drop your firearm, and it touches loose dirt, for a short moment, the entire pistol gets a field strip, a thorough cleaning, and an oiling.

But I'll tell you what I actually do, in the real world, every day, is load and holster a sidearm. I DECOCK the SA trigger, and lower the hammer. I can tell the safety status of the pistol by the position of the hammer.

With a striker fired pistol, you need to completely unload the pistol, to decock the gun. So with a striker fired gun, what you are carrying around is a loaded, cocked pistol, and by virtue of the fact that the striker is internal, and you can't see it, that magically makes it safe.(?) But that striker fired pistol is loaded and cocked. Now, would you run around with a loaded and fully cocked revolver ? Oh, you blanche at the thought, and reflexively say "NO way!".
But that loaded, cocked, striker (which you can't uncock) which is sight unseen, is A-OK. Which is why people have glocks going off in their pants. In videos. On the internet. Highly trained professionals, like police chiefs, and DEA agents.

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 1st Canik is a hammer fired. It's under the Tri-star brand C-100. My other 2 are striker fired. TP9SF and the other is the SFX competition gun. Great triggers for being striker fired.
The SFx Elite is at our shop and I’m digging it

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One good reason is the hammer is visible.
Now, these torture tests which you see, on youtube, where they grind firearms into the mud, then try to fire them,
in the real world, who really does that? In 9999 of 10,000 cases, if you merely drop your firearm, and it touches loose dirt, for a short moment, the entire pistol gets a field strip, a thorough cleaning, and an oiling.

But I'll tell you what I actually do, in the real world, every day, is load and holster a sidearm. I DECOCK the SA trigger, and lower the hammer. I can tell the safety status of the pistol by the position of the hammer.

With a striker fired pistol, you need to completely unload the pistol, to decock the gun. So with a striker fired gun, what you are carrying around is a loaded, cocked pistol, and by virtue of the fact that the striker is internal, and you can't see it, that magically makes it safe.(?) But that striker fired pistol is loaded and cocked. Now, would you run around with a loaded and fully cocked revolver ? Oh, you blanche at the thought, and reflexively say "NO way!".
But that loaded, cocked, striker (which you can't uncock) which is sight unseen, is A-OK. Which is why people have glocks going off in their pants. In videos. On the internet. Highly trained professionals, like police chiefs, and DEA agents.
Thanks so much for that, it helped me get a better picture of your explanation and totally makes sense

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
the more mainstream, the more options.....especially holsters.
sig sp2202......heck of a gun, has a hammer, and a bit lighter on the hip for all night carry.....and from my experience, a true value.

if you just want to go off the beaten path....cz75pcr....now that is sweet. fits me, very accurate weapon....for its size it beats everything in its class.......

Reactions: Russ D and Trev1337

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the more mainstream, the more options.....especially holsters.
sig sp2202......heck of a gun, has a hammer, and a bit lighter on the hip for all night carry.....and from my experience, a true value.

if you just want to go off the beaten path....cz75pcr....now that is sweet. fits me, very accurate weapon....for its size it beats everything in its class.......
Thanks for the recommendations! I do like the Sig, my grandfather carries one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking for suggestions for a full-sized 9mm for duty carry.

I have been suggested a Canik.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Holsters, accessories, etc. for the Canik TP9SA?

Thank you all in advance.
If your life depends on it, why would you use such a cheap gun to do the job ??? The GLOCK 19 has a HUGE following, and it's not just because it has "GLOCK" stamped on it.

JoeM

1 - 20 of 48 Posts