National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to get back in the groove after my Texas move, and Chinese Creeping Crud Quarantine.

I made this travel case for my High Standard "A" and Colt ( Pre Woodsman) pistols. Lots of history in these two John M. Browning babies.

The padding is cut from 1" thick pure wool blocks. The liner is 1 oz. OIL tanned garment grade pig skin. I use the wool, and OIL tanned skins because they do not sweat or cause rust on my guns. The Black Walnut is my favorite wood for These jobs.
This is the third hard wood case I've done to avoid going nuts with no shop, and tools. Everything is still stored in the barn after the move. Now I know how Mike feels out in Nevada.
Roy
Air gun Trigger Wood Bag Revolver
Blue Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,496 Posts
Very well done!

BTW, you probably already know this, but Black Walnut is toxic, thus you should wear a respirator and goggles whenever cutting and/or sanding the stuff.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Nice work, love those little barrel hinges.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very well done!

BTW, you probably already know this, but Black Walnut is toxic, thus you should wear a respirator and goggles whenever cutting and/or sanding the stuff.
Yup, my mentor told me after I had been cutting, sanding, and polishing the stuff for about 25 yrs. What the heck better to find out late than never.🤠
Roy

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work, love those little barrel hinges.
I have discovered the hard way, as I normally do, the barrel hinges are not strong enough to handle the weight of the guns. The tend to pull out of their sockets when the load is about 4 pounds of pistols. Visions of several HUNDERED $$$ worth of pistols skidding across the asphalt at the range parking lot. I ordered some 2" milled brass hinges to back them up. After I get them installed I will post an update.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very nice. I too would like to see the exterior corners
The hinges and locks are going to require a bit of reinforcing, but that's OK I've got lots of time. I Hope !

Attachments

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Nice looking dove tails!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts