1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Can anyone identify these old bullets

IMG-20140427-WA0002 - Copy.jpg IMG-20140427-WA0001 - Copy.jpg

I tried to google them but didn't found the exact match.

Markings:
SMI

Really like to know :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I am certainly not an expert but I did a little looking on the net and came up with the following which you should NOT consider to be 100% accurate.

SMI refers to the bullets maker Società Metallurgica Italiana, Campo Tizzoro, Italy. The number 20 on the second pic indicates this cartridge was made in 1920.

When I searched SMI 929 I kept getting references to a 7.35x51mm Carcano, possibly a military version called a model 38. This is strange because this was a WW2 Italian rifle and was not made till 1938 or so. This does not jibe with the number 20 on the second pic unless I was wrong about that being a date.

That's all I got on this. Maybe someone else can help more.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Based on the plug in the pic, and a little googling, this looks kind of like a 20mm cannon round. The general shape look like a 20 x 105B, or 2cm Solothurn, which was a WW2 Swiss / German round.

That would make the 1/929 likely the date stamp, rather than the 20, which would be the caliber. The dimensions of the primer compared to the base of the round really look like a 20mm round as well.

Similar headstamp at Google Image Result for http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5251/dsc01270da1.jpg which turns out to go to a dead link. But look at the fingers in the pic for scale.

as does Google Image Result for http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8813/dsc01271ps4.jpg

The dimensions of this would really help. If that case is as wide as a 12 gauge shell... But you are getting into old european stuff, which is more of a, well, Europe thing. Armarin may be your best bet, he probably runs across stuff like this on occasion.

If this is really a 20mm (or 2cm if you are picky) round, you might want to be real careful with it, depending on the projectile under all that rust.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If the 1/929 is a date stamp, these are earlier than the Solothurn 18/100, which is what they really look like. Still digging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi!

Thanks for your time and effort and fast replys!

Just got the measurements from my friend and it's about 9-10inch long and almost 1 inch diameter.
So it must be for some kind of anti-aircraft gun or something like that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That appears to be a live round. Now your buddy needs to stop and consider that the projectile on the pointy end of that may not just be a chunk of lead and copper, but may very well be a high explosive round. That has been in the dirt for a long time. Is not safe. Act accordingly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sure looks like 20x138B ammo for the Solothurn, made in Italy.

Here is a link to some more pictures: Italian 20mm AT Round

They DID make a High Explosive Tracer round in that caliber---you might be a little careful until you
figure out exactly what you have.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Its a japanese round

Look if this round has Japanese marking on the projectile, nothing on the brass.

The SMI marked shell is an Italian made 20x138RB (same as the German Flak 2cm) which they used in Breda 20mm AA Guns and also in AT rifles (Solothurn S1800)

The projectile is a 20mm japanese AP round for the the model 98 antiaircraft or antitank gun.I cant tell if it has a geen band next to the white,If it dose it is an AP tracer round. Selling one now on the trader a while back for $75 with the carboard box .I would say $40 with out the always missing box.

00._Japanese_20-mm_Type_98_AA_Machine_Cannon_CWM.JPG

Type / action full automatic, gas operated
Caliber 20x125
Weight unloaded 50 kg
Length 2100 mm
Barrel length 1250 mm
Magazine capacity 7 rounds
Armor penetration (Range / Angle / Penetration) 250 m / 90o / 30 mm

WTW-Japanese-Type-97-ATR.jpg

The Type 97 anti-tank rifle was adopted by Imperial Japanese army in 1937 (2597th year by contemporary Japanese calendar), as a dedicated anti-tank weapon. While not sufficiently effective against medium and heavy American tanks, it was good enough to deal with light tanks, landing crafts, small surface vessels and improvised pill-boxes, used by US and allied forces in Pacific theatre during WW2. It was one of the heaviest weapons in its class, especially when fitted with low-profile armor shield and dual carrying handles, which raised the weight of the system to some 68 kg (150 lbs).
The Type 97 anti-tank rifle is gas operated, full automatic only weapon (rate of fire - unknown). It used two gas pistons located below the barrel. The bolt locking is achieved by vertically sliding locking block, which is installed at the top of the bolt. When in battery, this locking block is forced up by cam surface in the bolt carrier to engage the slot cut in the receiver. After discharge, rearward movement of the gas piston and bolt carrier forces the locking block to fall down and unblock the bolt; after that, bolt is free to recoil along with bolt carrier. Firing is from open bolt position, in full automatic mode only. To reduce peak recoil forces, the receiver with barrel and action are allowed to recoil agains the cradle, compressing massive spring buffer. Barrel is equipped with muzzle brake to further decrease the recoil. Feed is from top-mounted detachable box magazines. Standard iron sights are graduated up to 1000 meters in range. To provide necessary stability when aiming and firing the gun, it is equipped with folding bipod and an adjustable monopod under the butt. Additional accesories include detachable armored shield which is installed in front of the magazine, and pair of detachable U-shaped carrying handles, so the gun can be carried over the batlefield by three of four men.

(Lend from Janes Infantry weapons 1979)

Have a good cigar and regards
As-salāmu ʿalaykum
ARMARIN

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Hi!
Thanks for your time and effort and fast replys!
Just got the measurements from my friend and it's about 9-10inch long and almost 1 inch diameter.
So it must be for some kind of anti-aircraft gun or something like that.
Cheers!
I completely missed how big these were. No that I go back and look at the other stuff in the pic I see how far off was. Oh well, like I said I am no expert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts