National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys change recoil springs for various pistols, what about the firing pin spring?

I dont keep a record of how many rounds/spring, but this is how I do it: When I have the gun apart for cleaning, I'll lay the spring next to a new one and if the old is more than two coils shorter, it gets changed. I usually buy several springs at once, and buy one firing pin spring for every three recoils.

Most of my guns are 1911's, I've also got a SIG and XD that have never had a spring change.

Without getting into a heated debate, What your favorite brand of springs, do you use the stock poundage?

G

·
Contact the gun manufacturer most of the time they will be able to tell you alot of what you are asking. At least Springfield was able to do that for me for my 1911. good luck

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
You are going to think I am crazy but I have never had to change out a spring on any of my guns except for a Taurus PT-22 that I broke the firing pin on and the factory changed the springs.

All my guns function just fine. Some of them I have had since 1962, and many since 1970's.

G

·
I was starting to have some failure to feed problems (slide cycles and does not feed round all the way into seating the round in the barrel) I contacted springfield and they asked me a few questions and said they would send me out a new recoil spring and if that didn't fix it to call them back and they would give me info to send the gun in for them to check out and repair for free. They sent the recoil spring out free of charge and that fixed it, no more failure to feeds and back to :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The springs on the compact and smaller 45s and other pistols are more prone to failure, according to my gunsmith friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts