National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased this rifle which says wells 510 on the barrel. this gun is a monster and im trying to find some info as well as some ammo for it. its not like the other wells 510's ive seen and it weighs 15 lbs. any help would be greatly appreciated. i believe this to be a custom fred wells but have no paper work. this gun is something ive never seen before and had to have it. thanks for all your help in advance!!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Pictures would help.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
nice cannon Mikey 16420 , love the stock !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check into that company as well. I'm still thinking it's a Fred wells Custom. He was known for these type of bIg game rifles. And with the unique barrel and him having that custom barrel factory next to him on Prescott I'm still leaning that way. Thanks for input though. Also I am on the hunt for ammo for this monster of anyone knows of a seller.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
US Model of 1917 receiver (didn't Mr. Wells use mostly Weatherby receivers?). Fred Wells barrel(?). Weatherby scope. Buehler bases and split rings. A very nice piece of Walnut (didn't Mr. Wells prefer Maple?).

Its definitely a custom rifle, that much we can be sure of. Who made the rifle is another question. The scope and rings may have been installed later but they are from the very late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

·
Super Moderator
14,527 Posts
That is one fine stock. 17 Enfield action to be sure, and not a Wby to be sure. I can't get past the wood. Looks like some wavy spalting in the fore end too.

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might try calling Wells Sport Shop in Prescott. Rachel is usually ther during the day, and Fred's son Ruben most often on weekends. Nice people and I'm sure will try to be helpful. Fred used various actions building rifles, but he really focused on model 98 Mauser designs - Enfields, Brevexs, and ultimately his own handmade magnum Mausers. I understand the Wells action may still be purchased in a slightly upgraded iteration. Their phone is 928-445-3655.
I am not an agent, just a fan who owns several of his rifles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mamafrog

Hey I believe you are right Mike, that looks very much like one of Fred's rifles. I know that most of the ammo for that beast was hand loaded by Fred's sons or grandson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts