National Gun Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
The bolt collar give it away. It is not a 98 Mauser. All the 98's has a much larger collar containing the cocking piece (sear) and the safety lever on the end of the bolt.
Maybe an 93 or 95 check the bolt face. The 93 has a flt bottom the 95 is round.
The front sight wings are curved like the 1929 Oviedo Spanish Mauser.
Ovedio 1929 mauser.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
This rifle, is a spanish mauser of 1916... There are 3 possible gauges for it: 7,92 mauser if it is an early production, 7,62 CETME if it is an late '50 production or 7,62 NATO the last.
Is there any mark between the bolt and the numbered uplift?
If the rifle belonged to the Spanish "Guardia Civil", there should be a mark with a dagger crossed to the fascist "fascio littorio".

·
Registered
7 Posts
1916 Spanish Mauser
1893 Pattern
Originally chambered for 7mm x 57mm Mauser
Rebored and rechambered to 308 for import.

Questionable metallurgy for the increased pressure of the 308 conversion.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Spanish Mauser 1918 7 x 57 was original if ya have that ya got something, not exactly gold mine not the poke in the eye either. Most were perverted to .308 Win/Nato

·
Registered
283 Posts
It looks possibly like a 98 Gewehr converted to a K98? I saw one like that at a gun show, though not as rusty and it was a 1918 Gewehr that was converted to a K98 after the treaty pf Versailles.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
What you have is a Pre-World War II German K98 Standard-Modell Commercial Contract Bolt Action Rifle
View attachment 103700

View attachment 103702
This is an excellent example of a pre-World War II K98 Mauser banner Standard-Model K98 type bolt action rifle. These were some of the first new style K98 Mauser rifle made after WWI and prior to WWII. These became the standard configuration for the later wartime K98 military rifles. The top of the receiver ring is stamped with the "MAUSER" banner logo, and the left side of the receiver is marked with the "Crown/B, G, U and N" commercial proofmarks over the commercial serial number "B66499". The receiver side wall is correctly stamped "STANDARD-MODELL". The left rear end of the barrel is marked with the matching serial number. It is fitted with the correct early style straight bolt handle with the same "crown/B and U" commercial proofmarks with the matching last four digits "6499" of the serial number. This rifle is equipped with the original inverted "V" front sight and military style tangent rear sight graduated "1-20" (100-2000 meters) and is fitted with the early style all milled trigger guard and floor plate (both correctly matching), the early wide middle barrel band, and early style "H" pattern milled front barrel band. It is fitted with an early bright polished cleaning rod with a slotted head. It is fitted with the early correct pattern Standard-Modell style stock with finger grooves on the sides and a blue flat steel buttplate.

Regards
ARMARIN
Amarin, look closely at the back end of the bolt. That collar is only on the '91/'93/or '95 Mauser. The ALL of the 98 pattern Mauser rifles have the same bolt sleeve with very minor variations. Those sleeves are not interchangeable with the earlier versions of the Mauser rifle.
This is a custom made Mauser built on a military '98 K. You might have to zoom the bolt to get a good look at the sleeve.
GUNS 6X63 MAUSER WITH K 10 WEAVER SCOPE.jpg

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Good to see you back North.(y)
I am still having difficulty finding my way around this new format. But where there is a will there is a way. Had a bit of problem getting settled after move.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Nope, after building a couple of hundred '98 sport conversions. I sorta got familiar with all the parts in Ole Willie and Hiram's rifles.

·
Aim true !
11,376 Posts
I didn't like the new format at 1st. Now that im used to it. I like a lot. The Ruger forum changed a little after this one did. I was used to it before they changed.

Reactions: Northtidesix
21 - 35 of 35 Posts