National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've asked some folks I know, and took this to a gun shop. I've been unable to get any positive identification does anyone happen to know what type of gun this is? Thanks in advance.

2019-07-09 (2).jpg 2019-07-09 (1).jpg 2019-07-09.jpg

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts
A gun shop could not ID it? Im no expert. But i think its an M1 Garand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir they couldn't. He threw out a couple of ideas, I didn't write them down though and the bolt design was a little bit different than what he had shown. I will try to post up some better pictures if that will help.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Can you take some close up pics of the receiver and bolt especially any markings. Almost looks like a Springfield but the pics are too small for me to really see much.

Reactions: Popeye and Win94ae

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts
LOL no i was going by the stock shape and the front. I i didn't know Garands did not have a bolt.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Garands were, according to Gen G Patton,
“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
That Mauser should have proof marks and a maker's name. You may have to rub some areas with white chalk to make them stand out. There WILL be proof marks indicating maker, etc.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Garand? Garand? Have you started drinking in the morning again?
Remember, "Beer, it's not just for breakfast any more"!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
What you have is a Pre-World War II German K98 Standard-Modell Commercial Contract Bolt Action Rifle
download.png

download (1).png
This is an excellent example of a pre-World War II K98 Mauser banner Standard-Model K98 type bolt action rifle. These were some of the first new style K98 Mauser rifle made after WWI and prior to WWII. These became the standard configuration for the later wartime K98 military rifles. The top of the receiver ring is stamped with the "MAUSER" banner logo, and the left side of the receiver is marked with the "Crown/B, G, U and N" commercial proofmarks over the commercial serial number "B66499". The receiver side wall is correctly stamped "STANDARD-MODELL". The left rear end of the barrel is marked with the matching serial number. It is fitted with the correct early style straight bolt handle with the same "crown/B and U" commercial proofmarks with the matching last four digits "6499" of the serial number. This rifle is equipped with the original inverted "V" front sight and military style tangent rear sight graduated "1-20" (100-2000 meters) and is fitted with the early style all milled trigger guard and floor plate (both correctly matching), the early wide middle barrel band, and early style "H" pattern milled front barrel band. It is fitted with an early bright polished cleaning rod with a slotted head. It is fitted with the early correct pattern Standard-Modell style stock with finger grooves on the sides and a blue flat steel buttplate.

Regards
ARMARIN

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
K-98 or another Mauser was going to be my second guess but i didn't see the bolt take down disk in the stock so i sort of dismissed the K-98......

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
What round is the rifle chambered for?

Alan

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,574 Posts
7.57mm (original) or converted to .308 Win

1 - 20 of 35 Posts