National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into my regular gun shop today just to get some small rifle primers and he had 10 cans of SR7625 powder for $5.00 a can! I had never used this stuff, so I asked him what it could be used in and he said everything. Well, that was not exactly true, but it will work in about any magnum handgun load. So I bought every dang can of it. Now this stuff comes in 8 oz to a can instead of a pound, but that is still $10 for a pound of powder, and how long has it been since I have bought any kind of powder that cheap??? Crap, you can't even buy Pyrodex that cheap anymore. He had it marked down because the powder is in the metal cans, and since Hodgen bought IMR, the powder now comes in plastic cans. Like I really care what can the stuff is in. Anyway, I should be good to go on handgun powder for years, as I have 5 pounds of Unique, a couple of Bullseye, and a couple of 2400 laying around too!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, it's good stuff. Behaves much like AA#5 or Power Pistol. I picked some up at a gun show for about what you paid and have been pleased with it.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
You can get some real deals on powder here: http://www.gibrass.com and http://www.patsreloading.com Both are good to deal with. I use WC-872 in my overbore magnums with great success. If you buy 6, 8 pound jugs from Jeff Bartlett, he pays the Haz-Mat fee. Pretty hard to beat. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Agreed -- Jeff is really good to work with. I've bought many jugs of powder and a few thousand pounds of brass from him, and he's a straight-up guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Billt, what cartridges are you using 872? I tried it in a 300 Win Mag with 180 HPBTs and even at max loads with Mag primers all I could get from it was a dirty barrel. Not that it really matters anymore as I traded it away but I've always wondered just how magnum a load has to be for this powder to be useful.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
It's all I use in my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum. Most .300's aren't overbore enough for WC-872. Use Federal 215 Magnum Primers with everything with this powder. It's not a powder for everyone, or everything. but with the big overbore Mags, it holds no equal. Bill T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts