National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have another question and I hope this is the right platform to ask it. I just received an ar 10, lr 308 dpms u-build it kit I purchased. The barrel is coming separate. While waiting on the barrel I thought I'd begin putting together the upper receiver. I got the ejector port on the upper and then I began working on the forward assist. After a little research, I noticed that the ridges on the BCG once in place inside the upper receiver, are actually set lower then the tooth on the forward assist. I can't see it's necessisity in this position. So my questions will be; is this normal for the ar 308, is it just there for looks? And if not, what may be the problem? On my ar 15s, the forward assists are all lined up perfectly with the ridges on the BCG. I read in a forum that the 308 really doesn't need a forward assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Is your Bolt carrier DPMS? .308 AR's tend to have wide variances between manufactures. My Armalite AR10B has no forward assist and in my 40 yrs of using the AR platform I've never needed to use one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello SGB. Thank you for the responce. Yes, it is dpms. But I'm believing that like you said, it may not be necessary. I read where it's probably just for show these days.

·
Genius in Training
490 Posts
I don't have any experiences with AR10s so I can't help you there but on AR15s I have used the forward assist multiple times. Usually few and far between but when things get dirty or your mags suck they can be of benefit.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
I have the S&W M&P AR15 first generation and it does not have a forward assist. I’ve never needed one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey RZR6-4. Thanks for chiming in on this one.I'm told AR-10s for the most part, don't need them. I'm hoping that's the case. I did find an upper dpms with the lower angled forward assist portal and will be using that upper just in case. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts