National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spencer Carbine (.50-56) (M1865) - an awesome Civil War repeater (lever action) that could/can hold 7 rounds in a butt tube - and can be loaded and reloaded as fast as you can eject one tube and slide in another! It's deadly accurate out to 125+ yards - and leaves a huge (50cal.) hole, noticeably larger than .44's and .45's - and WAY bigger than a .30/.32/.35 caliber rifle rounds!

Most folks don't know about how popular the Spencer Carbine was in the post Civil War period 105,000 of the 200,000 Spencers manufactured by the Union were bought up by civilians after the Civil War. It was used as a very popular saddle carbine in the 'taming of the west,' and some even say it far surpassed the Winchesters in getting meat/providing protection for the pioneers. Ammo for the ..50-56 cartridge was only discontinued at the end of 1919!

If you EVER get a chance to shoot one - beware - they are extremely addictive. The ammo runs about $165 for a box of 50 ... soooo, we reload each and every round we shoot! Midway and a couple of other reloading component houses supply us with all the bullets and brass we need/use.
:---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely! I almost bought one that was thrashed BUT had a long and verified history - went along with Sherman and his march to the sea! ... only $5,000 because I'm a good customer! I passed on it.

This one is: SPENCER REPEATING CARBINE Mod. 1865 (Armi Arms Reproduction) .56-50
$1285 - http://www.thecavalry.net/browse.php?catalog=8
We've had about 5x the fun out of it in three years.
:-B-:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't suppose you would have any reloading data for it? I have a friend that has one of these and has brass but no data. He would prefer to reload his 50-56.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts