National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,668 Posts
Daniel Hill had never bought a gun before. But last week he was in Larry Hyatt’s gun store in North Carolina, picking out two of them: a 9 mm Taurus handgun and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

His motivation: the coronavirus.

Hill, a 29-year-old kitchen manager in Charlotte, said he fears that the virus could lead to a breakdown of public order, with looting and robberies and “everything shutting down, like in a zombie movie” where society “just won’t have any sense of lawfulness anymore.”

Gun and ammunition dealers said they’ve seen an influx of customers with similar concerns in recent weeks, creating a spike in sales as coronavirus anxiety spreads. Reports of firearms and survival gear flying off the shelves have been widespread, including in California, New York, Washington state, Alabama and Ohio. Photos on Twitter over the weekend showed lines around the block at one Los Angeles gun shop.

Some dealers said an unusually high proportion of sales have been to first-time gun buyers.

“We attribute it mainly to the virus scare,” said Hyatt, whose gun store has seen sales increase 30% to 40% percent since late February.

The presidential election and stock market fluctuations have also been driving business, he said, and the store is now selling more than 300 firearms a week.

“People have a little lack of confidence that if something big and bad happens, that 9-1-1 might not work. We saw it with Katrina,” Hyatt said, referring to the breakdown in emergency response after the 2005 hurricane on the Gulf Coast. “People haven’t forgotten that a disaster happened, and the government didn’t come.”

Some major law enforcement agencies said they had not seen any sharp rise in firearms sales in recent weeks. Data from the FBI show a sizable increase in background checks for gun purchases since the start of the year, although other factors, such as the national political campaign and gun control efforts by some state legislatures, including Virginia, could also be driving them.

Checks through the FBI system leapt 36% in February compared to the same month last year, to a total of 2.8 million nationally — the largest year-over-year percentage increase in any month since July 2016 (another presidential election year). The agency processed more background checks in February than it had done in all but two other months since it started performing the queries in the late 1990s.

January, when most confirmed cases of the virus were still mostly overseas, also saw a sizable increase in background checks, up 25% from the same month last year.

The background check numbers for March — when confirmed cases of the virus began to dramatically spike in the United States and public measures to slow it took hold — won’t be available for a few weeks.

Licensed firearms dealers like Hyatt are required to run those queries with the FBI to ensure that would-be purchasers aren’t convicted felons or otherwise barred from gun possession. Private sales, including through gun shows, online marketplaces or social media, are exempt from federal background checks, so any change there would be difficult to spot.

Even before virus concerns escalated or the stock market plunged in recent weeks, national politics were likely playing a role in rising sales.

Chuck Lowder, who picked up a rifle at Hyatt Guns last week, cited a testy confrontation between a construction worker in Detroit and former Vice President Joe Biden, who is now leading in the polls for the Democratic presidential nomination, about the candidate wanting to “take away our guns.”

Biden used a vulgarity to tell the worker that he was wrong. While the former vice president supports universal background checks and banning the sale of military-style semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines, he also supports many types of gun ownership and owns guns himself.

Still, those moments can spur devotees to their favorite gun store, said Lowder, a retired brewery worker and truck driver who had come from Lenoir, North Carolina, to buy an AR-15.

“When you’re told you can’t have something, the first thing you want to do is get it,” he said.

Even so, Lowder also said that the “unreal” number of customers he saw in Hyatt’s store last week was likely more about the fear of what could happen with the pandemic.

“When you’re told that the coronavirus is going to get you, and the TV and everything is just swamped with it, people start believing it, and they get scared,” he said, adding that he also bought 300 rounds of ammunition, triple what he normally would buy.

Some ammunition suppliers said they also have seen a sharp jump in sales. Alex Horsman, the marketing manager at Ammo.com, said the past few weeks have marked the largest spike in orders in the five years he has been with the online company.

The company said it recorded two-thirds more transactions in the 11 days after Feb. 22 — when Google Trend indicates that search interest for “coronavirus” began a new surge — than in the 11 days prior. Buyers in North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Texas led the increase in sales.

As customers have been flooding into gun stores, demand appears to be outstripping supply among some wholesalers, said Andy Raymond, the owner of Engage Armament in Rockville, Maryland. “We’re getting stuff from distributors who are saying, ‘Hey, due to high volume, we’re delayed in shipping.’”

Hill, the first-time buyer in Charlotte, said he thinks society is a long way from the full breakdown that he fears might be coming because of the virus.

“But you can tell it’s already taking a toll on everybody,” he said. “If it were to keep going the way it is going, how bad could it get?”

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

© 2020 The New York Times Company

https://www.yahoo.com/news/buyers-virus-fears-priority-isnt-184327709.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just hope people don’t think that because they have a gun, that it is now the Wild Wild West.

My buddy bought a 9 mm but he can’t find ammunition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Live Free
2,897 Posts
While there are legitimate concerns over the effects of the virus and the effects of the response to the virus, too many are motivated by Hollywood depictions that are intentionally graphic and frightening. If we think everything will play out according to Hollywood depictions in movies, then our mindset will become twisted and paranoid. We have heard a little of that here in NGF. If we all take a step back and consider how we can do right by our families and our friends and neighbors, we might keep ourselves busy doing some good instead of worrying about gruesome Hollywood foolishness.

In saying this, I would still urge all to think what situational awareness is, and practice it, because a few folks are even excited about Hollywood theatrics being lived out, and some are scared to death of the same. When your reality is on the screen, you have no reality; when your reality is on the screen you will act foolishly out of raw emotion without sound wisdom.

We can do right and care for others while still wisely protecting.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I just hope people don’t think that because they have a gun, that it is now the Wild Wild West.

My buddy bought a 9 mm but he can’t find ammunition.

Most of these first time buyers, with no handling experience, just bought a gun for the predators. Those buyers believe the fire arm is a magic wand. Wave it in the air and chant incantations like "Freeze", "Get on the ground", 'Don't move" and other equally stupid chants. I mean it works on the movies, doesn't it?

I know I am preaching to the choir. I have no desire to deprive these first time buyers of their Constitutional Rights. I am only pointing out the fact that the world just got more dangerous where these people live. The danger is not from the predators.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most of these first time buyers, with no handling experience, just bought a gun for the predators. Those buyers believe the fire arm is a magic wand. Wave it in the air and chant incantations like "Freeze", "Get on the ground", 'Don't move" and other equally stupid chants. I mean it works on the movies, doesn't it?

I know I am preaching to the choir. I have no desire to deprive these first time buyers of their Constitutional Rights. I am only pointing out the fact that the world just got more dangerous where these people live. The danger is not from the predators.
You’re right.

I just ordered another case of 9 mm, just in case it becomes scarce like the 22 LR did a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,978 Posts
I just checked Ammo seek and it looks like ammo is up about $.10 a round for the more popular ammo if it’s even in stock. I’m set and I even placed an order for a few calibers to round out the stores.

·
Aim true !
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My LGS that didn't close right away, Finally did close for the Govt restriction. He's taking advantage of the time off. To do things around his shop and to restock his shop. So far walmart has not increased ammo prices. And was well stocked at both the stores near me. The one that sells reloading supplies is out of powder though. Plenty of primers and bullets in stock.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
i wonder if the liberal left new gun owners are still snowflake enough in their principles to insist on neutered mags and lead-free ammo to protect the environment.....

or are they seeking the highest capacity mags and meanest hollow points they can find.......:cornut:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
from this article.......it would appear that gun sales have doubled in some areas......

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gun-sales-rise-coronavirus-concerns-spread-090040698--abc-news-topstories.html

XXXXXXXXXXXX

At gun stores from California to New York, the American people are stocking up in enormous numbers, almost as if the end was near.

"Trying to buy ammunition because of everything that's going on with the virus and stuff, it's horrible and I don't want to take any chances," Angel Colon told ABC News affiliate WPVI in Spanish.
People are arming themselves. They are lining up outside gun stores. Or going online. In February, the internet retailer ammo.com reported a 309% increase in revenue and a 222% surge in transactions. The group is calling the sales “unprecedented.”\

The increased gun sales come as police departments are being forced to pare down operations due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. Some police Departments are responding to only calls that involve emergencies – calls like fender benders and lost items are being handled over the phone or people are required to go and give a statement at the police station.

National figures on gun sales that are monitored by the FBI will not be available until early April. But the anecdotal evidence is hard to miss.
In Virginia, where the State Police track background check numbers, there was an 86% increase in requests in January compared to January of 2019. Authorities attribute some of that uptick to Virginia’s lobby day – when gun enthusiasts descended on Richmond in opposition to proposed new restrictions. But the trend continued in February, when over 64,000 buyers underwent checks, compared to 39,300 the previous February. And in March, Virginia saw 35,383 background checks conducted, which is just 10,000 background checks than the entire month of March 2019.\

In Colorado, more than 14,000 background checks for firearms transfers have been received in the last week, compared to about 7,000 checks conducted in the same timeframe last year, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation said in a statement on Tuesday.

In Pennsylvania, police said this week that a surge in requests to the state's background check system for firearm purchases twice resulted in the system shutting down for hours-long periods. On one day alone, March 17, the Pennsylvania Instant Check System completed 4,342 transactions. That day in 2019, they only ran 1,359 checks, according to Major Gary Dance, director of the Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Records and Identification.

"The Pennsylvania State Police is working with its vendor to increase processing power to avoid future backlogs and will adjust staffing as needed to meet demand," Dance said.
Across the Northeast, lines have snaked out the doors of local gun shops.
Kimber Zerweck told ABC News station WPVI in Philadelphia that lines have been out the door since Thursday.
"In five years I've owned this place, I've never had lines out the door," said Zerweck, who owns Delia’s Gunshop in Mayfair, Pennsylvania. "It's a mixture of people who know what they wanna buy and other people who wanna buy because they're afraid of what's going on with the criminal element.”

There was a similar scene in upstate New York where Peter O’Malley was on his way to his campus when he saw the crowd outside Hempstead Guns and Ammo.
“When I first saw it looked like it was just like, you know, a line of probably 10, 15 people,” O’Malley said in an interview. “And then it was probably a line of 20, 25, 30 and it wrapped all the way around the back part of the parking lot.”
Kyle Harrison, an employee at Top Gun in Houston, told ABC affiliate KTRK that customers are buying “literally everything.”
“They're buying firearms and ammunition and accessories,” Harrison said.
ABC News' Alexander Mallin and Eli Finkelson contributed to this report.
Gun sales on the rise as coronavirus concerns spread originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Part of the reason for having a gun is to keep your toilet paper and anything else that you have that someone else may want.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
I talked to one of the owners of my LGS last night via test just to see how they were doing. There is nothing i really need so i avoided going there being they are older. She said they have been crazy busy! They were going to open today in hopes the NICS crash would be fixed because they have a bunch of guns waiting in limbo. After today they will be closed due to the mandate.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Found this PSA on one of my photography sites,

I made this very point last night with my family, while we unloaded $600 dollars worth of groceries. Mainly staples and canned goods. Austin is supposed to begin the lock down today. Ironically the only firearm we have in THIS house is a pump shot gun with lots of ammo. My guns are about 200 miles south of me locked in my vault.:crazy: Great timing Roy.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,368 Posts
This virus is pretty much killing the left's anti-gun platform.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
369 Posts
A couple shops have started rationing the more popular rounds. One shop in particular, 200rds of 9mm and/or 2 boxes of 5.56/.223 per customer. Still Allowing up to 1,000rd of 10mm per customer. He's trying to keep prices down as much as he can, and at this point, it's either set limits, or jack prices up.

I suspect things will die down in the next month or so. Until then, I'll stick to .357/.38sp for plinking and such, since those are virtually untouched. Still got plenty of Hornady 9mm for home defense and carry.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 20 of 20 Posts