National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new (it's "used", but looks like NIB, probably from a collector) FN HP. I'm beginning to really like that pistol. It's a little too small for my hands, but I'm getting used to it . It shoots fine and even though I prefer modern polymer guns, I like the classic look of the P35.

One problem for me though is the smallish safety lever. I'll attach a picture to show you what I mean. Most HPs I've seen so far had bigger and longer levers that you can easily reach with your thumb, but this one's uncomfortable. Now my question is whether I can mount an aftermarket safety lever or if that won't fit my HP? And can I do that myself (I'm not technically talented at all) or should a gun smith do it?

The other problem are the small sights. Same question, how easy is it to mount different (bigger) sights? And which ones would you recommend? I want something durable, they must not be adjustable, just simple combat sights.

I don't know exactly what model it is, but like mentioned above I'll attach a picture.

All help would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I can not tell from the picture, but does your pistol have an internal extractor? Claw like thingy that is inserted in the slide parallel to the firing pin? Or is it external, you can see it just to the rear of the ejection port? If you have a internal extractor, it is a classic P35 model. The internal extractors came out with the MkII series, if I am not mistaken. I am also betting that it is a Belgium HP, Fabrique National. The best ones IMHO. Inglis, Canadians are a close second.

The sights are classic military HP factory sights. Yes the are nasty. Once you get use to them, the work well. I use to make a couple of bucks at the range betting that I could make a head shot off hand at 100 yards with my HP. I can do it with a 1911 also, but people were't as impressed. :D

If you do not know your way around the gun, do not muck with the thumb safety yourself. It is fairly easy to replace with an extended release, but there is still some filing that is needed. Cylinder&Slide makes a nice extended safety. I use them on my HP's. You can get them from Midwayusa.com and Brownells and they run about $60.

The sight issue is up to you. They are drifted into their dovetails. SO you just knock them out right to left. There are replacement sights that are supposed to be direct fits, I always had to fit them. The super slick sights require changingthe dovetail angles which means some machining of the slide.

If you want, PM me the info stamped on the slide, both sides and I'll see what I can come up with on the petigree.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a shot of the other side.

Yes, it's made by FN Herstal in Belgium.

The markings say:

Right: Made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale Herstal

Left: Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah, Montreal P.Q.

Serial #: 245PM56929

There are also some tiny markings in the trigger guard, but that's probably from the "Beschussamt", my Glock has those, too. That's an institution that test fires every firearms before they can be sold or something like that. I don't think you have that in the U.S.

Is this the safety you're speaking of? Looks like it's just the thing I want :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=413867

I wonder if they'll ship to Europe :?

G

·
Based on the SN your HP was made in 1980.

Extended safety installation will take a 3/32 inch pin punch, a quality screw driver, a light hammer and a wood block with a 3/16 inch hole drilled in it, a fine cut flat needle file and about 45 minutes if this is the first time you have done it. After a while you can do it in about 10 minutes. If any of this makes you nervous, it is best to take it to a smith.

I have also included the url for a good site with a lot of information.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Ahhhh Heretic, you stole my chance to be the GREAT GUN GURU! :D

You may also need to dress the shoulder that sits behind the shoulder.

[attachment=0:8d191]hpsafety.jpg[/attachment:8d191]

The arrow at the top is pointing to the tab that needs to be dressed to lock out the sear. The lower arrow is the shoulder that may require some fitting. Like Heretic and I said, if this is scary for you, take it to a gunsmith. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.