1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Traveling with Special Items
Firearms & Ammunition

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can’t contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
You can’t use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
You can’t bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Its sounds so much easy just to drive,. I cant use my .40 if I need it when its packed up in a bag.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have flown a few times with my pistol and it is pretty easy. I keep it locked in a metal travel case that is secured to my luggage. Just allow yourself a few extra minutes during check in.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I flew twice with pistols. Once from Toronto to Edmonton for an IPSC Canada championship. Once from Detroit to Tucson and back. On the return trip Phoenix was fogged in. (yes, for the better part of 3 days). I was delayed leaving Tucson, was told to go to a certain gate and board a bus (yes, a bus). On arriving at that gate I found a plane. I can tell the difference, being college edumakated and all. So, quick hop to Phoenix. They lost all of my luggage. I found it after several hours. Gun case just sitting in the open, no security. I gave the airline baggage people hell at max volume. Then made a mad dash to the other terminal. Anyone who has been to Sky Harbor knows what a cluster flop it is. I am hearing a last call announcement for my flights as I run down the jetway. I arrive breathless at the gate to be told my flight is delayed, 5 hours.

I wander Sky Harbor for 5 hours, imbibing in several adult beverages. Finally I am told my flight will leave in 30 minutes. I call home to update pickup arrangements. IE do not head for the airport until I call from Chicago.

There are so few people on the plane they ask several to move to first class for balance!. I keep my coach seat and enjoy using all 3 seats.
In Chicago they make us all get off the plane. Those going to baltimore are getting a free hotel. Baltimore is snowed in. We are told to get back on the plane in 15 minutes. I call home and say pick me up.
When I come out of the wash room there is no one in sight, My flight has boarded. I run up the jetway just as they are about to close the door.
Land in Detroit, have to walk 1 mile in the icy cold because the internal doors are closed and the only way is to go through check points that guns cannot go through. Last time I flew. Normal flight time from Tucson to Detoit, 5 1/2 hrs. That day, 16 hrs. I won't fly with guns unless it means crossing an ocean.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Right after I got drafted into the Army I carried concealed on many planes.
When the day came that we could not longer carry (without getting caught anyway) was the day I quit flying.
I have only made a couple of urgent short flights since.
If I can't carry in most cases I am not going with minor exceptions of course.
I was one of the first to apply for Air Marshal or Sky Marshal (whatever they called it) duty when they came out with it while I was in the Army. They interviewed many but selected none from our fort that I am aware of. Most of us were told that we were "shooters", whatever that meant to them.
What did they expect? We were Army and serving in time of war and most had already been to RVN.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very good advice.
I would add that all TSA people don't know the rules and make up their own.
You have NO recourse at the time.
Ask the lady who was arrested for declaring an unloaded handgun in Albany, NY.
None the less, hunters fly their guns all the time, so it's not like you will be the first to declare a firearm.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I flew twice with pistols. Once from Toronto to Edmonton for an IPSC Canada championship. Once from Detroit to Tucson and back. On the return trip Phoenix was fogged in. (yes, for the better part of 3 days). I was delayed leaving Tucson, was told to go to a certain gate and board a bus (yes, a bus). On arriving at that gate I found a plane. I can tell the difference, being college edumakated and all. So, quick hop to Phoenix. They lost all of my luggage. I found it after several hours. Gun case just sitting in the open, no security. I gave the airline baggage people hell at max volume. Then made a mad dash to the other terminal. Anyone who has been to Sky Harbor knows what a cluster flop it is. I am hearing a last call announcement for my flights as I run down the jetway. I arrive breathless at the gate to be told my flight is delayed, 5 hours.

I wander Sky Harbor for 5 hours, imbibing in several adult beverages. Finally I am told my flight will leave in 30 minutes. I call home to update pickup arrangements. IE do not head for the airport until I call from Chicago.

There are so few people on the plane they ask several to move to first class for balance!. I keep my coach seat and enjoy using all 3 seats.
In Chicago they make us all get off the plane. Those going to baltimore are getting a free hotel. Baltimore is snowed in. We are told to get back on the plane in 15 minutes. I call home and say pick me up.
When I come out of the wash room there is no one in sight, My flight has boarded. I run up the jetway just as they are about to close the door.
Land in Detroit, have to walk 1 mile in the icy cold because the internal doors are closed and the only way is to go through check points that guns cannot go through. Last time I flew. Normal flight time from Tucson to Detoit, 5 1/2 hrs. That day, 16 hrs. I won't fly with guns unless it means crossing an ocean.

I guess if you fly now the best way is to UPS your guns of choice to your location to yourself at the depot?
I never thought of that and then it would be there waiting.
And you are right, Sky Harbor is pretty bad. The last time I flew out of there on an emergency I got to my gate only to be informed it had changed. Funny it was not up in lights either. What a mess.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Flying today is such a hassle that I will not deal with the gun issue. Buy pepper spray at your end location and give it away when you return home.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Just got back from hunting in Florida. Had both my XD Service and my Rem .30-06 with me on the trip. Went through O'Hare and West Palm Beach airports without any problems or hassels. If you are prepared, flying with firearms is very easy to do. I usually do this 2 or 3 times a year.

·
Banned
174 Posts
sheesh i can remember long ago going thru san diego airport, in my greens, with a big speargun in plain sight, no body said a word. i even carried on a parachute on a flight from japan to san fran. they didnt even really pay any attention to it either. i flew to vegas last summer, first flight in 20 years or so, wow, what a change. next time i go im gonna drive, even if it's to Hawaii.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts