National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does FNEB ammunition do? I've tried looking for some information on it and am having a hard time finding it. Also, if at all possible, I'd like to see a video of it hitting ballistic gel or a milk gallon, so I have an idea of how different it is in comparison to hollow points and ball ammunition. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
OK, I'll bite...What is FNEB? Are you talking about a "total metal jacket" like this?

I'm not familiar with any projectiles with that name.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Federal loads what they call EFMJ.

"An ideal choice for agencies that don't permit hollow point ammunition, this revolutionary barrier-penetrating design combines a scored full metal nose over an internal rubber tip that collapses on impact. It never fills with barrier material and assures expansion on every shot. A lead core at the base maintains weight retention. Also an ideal personal defense option."

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistic ... llet_id=26

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I looked it up on the web.

Apparently, it's for reduced-lead range shooting.

This is from Remington's site:

-Reliable lead-free primer duplicates the sensitivity and ballistics of standard lead-base primers.
-Upon firing, the new flat nose enclosed base bullet prevents the hot expanding propellant gases from vaporizing lead from the bullet’s base, eliminating exposure to lead at the shooter’s position.
-Cleaner shooting in all range situations.
-Standard bullet weights, coupled with identical ballistics, provides the shooter with ammunition that duplicates the performance of conventional loads.

I never heard of it before.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend and I were going to go shoot my 1911, and he showed up at my place with two boxes of it. I had no idea what it was cause I'd never seen it before, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks guys!

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Cake said:
My friend and I were going to go shoot my 1911, and he showed up at my place with two boxes of it. I had no idea what it was cause I'd never seen it before, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks guys!
Remington says "provides the shooter with ammunition that duplicates the performance of conventional loads."

Did you get to try it?

Notice any difference?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He actually wasn't allowed to shoot it at the range and ended having to buy regular ol' fmjs.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Cake said:
He actually wasn't allowed to shoot it at the range and ended having to buy regular ol' fmjs.
????????

The only use for the stuff is range shooting.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't make the range rules, I just follow them.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
This stuff is also called "Fully Encapsulated" ammo. It's only reason for existence is for indoor range lead contamination. Personally, I think it's all much to do about nothing. Most all indoor ranges today either have had, or have installed, excellent ventilation systems. The indoor range by me has such an efficient system when your in the booth shooting, you can actually feel a strong breeze at your back. Anything you fire in the way of particulate contamination will be carried downrange in very short order. About all this stuff is accomplishing is to drive up the cost of shooting even further. I strongly doubt that anyone could shoot enough lead bullets out of a gun to cause health issues. I grew up shooting .22's at indoor ranges, and have cast and shot lead bullets most of my life, and have never had any issues involving lead. My blood is checked about every 3 months. Bill T.

W

·
0 Posts
Some range rules are made up by people who don't have a clue.

Dat's why I shoot my pistole in me back yard. Lucky I live out of city limits. :i:

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
whompuss said:
Some range rules are made up by people who don't have a clue.

Dat's why I shoot my pistole in me back yard. Lucky I live out of city limits. :i:
I'm jelous.

My ideal home would be where I could sit on the back porch in the morning, drink some coffee, and get some practise in before work.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paradise.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cake said:
Paradise.

I do think its very important to keep that safety vest on when in the hot tub. Someone might take a "whale" shot. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Cake -- is it one of those ranges where you can only shoot ammo purchased from the range? I've heard of that elsewhere. What a RIPOFF! Some ranges won't even let a guy check out his own reloads. What' the use in that?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I went shooting this morning I talked to the gentlemen there and explained that the only reason these rounds exist is to shoot at an indoor range. So they let me shoot them and now everyone is a happy camper. :)

PS -- They allow ammo bought from other places.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Huh.

Wonder what is issue was in the first place?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just like us, I don't think they knew what it was.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Cake said:
Just like us, I don't think they knew what it was.
Kind of sounds like a word game. "flat nose enclosed base" was a new term to me -- likely a trade name or "service mark". Heck, fully encapusulated bullets and several other lead-dust-limiting projectiles have been around more than 10 yrs. Then there are the non-lead, pressure-formed metallic powder projectiles (Fuzion and a few other trade names) which are also allowed in many indoor ranges. The "Fuzion" bullet is especially good indoors because there is zero chance of ricochet. The projectile turns to dust upon striking the backstop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts