National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my grandfather has a Kahr K9 that he recently got back from someone he sold it to, and it was returned in less than optimum condition. Seeing as he likes to keep them immaculate, having several small scratches on the finish of a firearm drives him crazy. What do y’all use to maintain or restore the finish on a black or blued firearm? There aren’t any major scratches that go straight to the metal, and I’ve been told that car wax should do the trick of making it look like new again. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
If your is the stainless slide model, then that can be polished with Flitz or similar products but make sure what ever you use on the stainless is a low abrasive.
The blued finish could probably be polished with some oil and a soft cloth.
Pictures would help to see how bad it is. GOOD PICTURES.

·
Aim true !
11,657 Posts
I usa mothers polish. I use Nufinish in my tumbling media for cleaning brass for reloads. Im going to try it on my stainless guns. Thanks for the tip. Your fathers Kahr if its parkerized A touch up paint pen helps some. Fill the scratch and wipe off the excess.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,072 Posts
Kahr uses two finishes on their K9 series slides.

Matte stainless steel
Oxide blackened stainless steel

A good non-invasive polish (not Fitz) like the ones mentioned in this thread can make the scratches you describe less visible if the slide is blackened stainless steel.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Flitz will remove material, it is NOT the best for your endeavor

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
I’ve used Flitz on Stainless Steel with good results but definitely not on blackened or blued steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts