National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went fishing with my friends. Well, if you can call it that. We had been planning to go for a week now, and I was very stoked.

Now, I've only been fishing once before and my experience is pretty much nill.

Anyhow, we get there and I am given a $5 pink fishing pole from Target. My friend threads the pole and attaches bait. What was the bait? Corn. CORN. Of all things, she put corn on the hook. Yes, it was bait corn, but come on!

I try my hand at casting buy fail miserably, multiple times. Yes, you can attribute it to lack of skills, but I think it was partially the $5 fishing pole. The reel just didn't work properly with the momentum, it was very finicky. Of course the line got tangled and I had to cut it and start over.

There were several times the reel wouldn't pull the string in when I turned the lever.

Add to this, we left at 4 in the afternoon, and around this time of year, the sun sets at five!! What kind of horrible planning is that? Not only this, but the "creek" we fish at is more like a sewage exhaust system. The water is mucky as hell, and probably not very deep. I would be surprised if there is anything alive under that water. Furthermore, the creek is inlined with nothing but heavy brush and thick foilage, so she had me stand in the middle of the creek, on a concrete dam about 3 or so feet in width...

She basically sets up my fishing pole and leaves to another spot with her boyfriend.

I had never felt so unprepared and ill-equipped in my life. What a horrible experience and a waste of $13 for a day's fishing license.

I am a big believer in either doing something right or not bothering at all. What needed to happen today was the following: we needed actual fishing equipment that works, proper bait and the right strength fishing line, we needed people with experience and teaching ability, and an actual place where fish live. Not to mention a comfortable location in which to fish, instead of a concrete balance beam.

God, these people are my dear friends whom I dearly love, but I am NEVER doing anything out-of-doors with them ever again without the presence of some people who know what the hell they are doing.

I absolutely love and adore the beauty and tranquility of the outdoors, but have extremely limited experience. I want all that to change, however. I would like the skillsets of an outdoors adventurer, and this is why today was such a major disappointment and failure.

I would like to hear thoughts please. And some advice about fishing and fishing equipment. I want something of high quality without breaking the bank.

Thanks a lot, guys.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Corn is an old and effective fish bait.

·
5,082 Posts
Hello U u m ....I have read your post and you seem sincere about this, and I shall reply as same.

Congratulations on your desire for such, and do not let this or any other trip spoil a good idea of getting out alone or with friends to enjoy the fishing , all aspects and rewards included.

I am just a "country" boy type, and first thought would remind that "fishing" is a wonderful memory for most as me, being taught by dad and relatives/friends while growing up.

If this is not as you had, is understood many reasons as to why not, only mentioning it as to show you I/we indeed understand your desire to do the same, and to readily remind you that, young or old, is NEVER too late to be a fisherman or have an enjoying outing....:biggrin5:

I'll give advice as simple as I can, but strongly suggest you check and ask as many "local" people you can these same questions. At the sporting shops...and especially "bait" shops,if you have them, if you are sincere and show your desire to learn...I assure you , you will find no shortage of folks wanting to show how they do it....just be advised, just take in all the data, and use what seems to be similiar to all...etc...

In my area, TX, a leading brand of equipment for you to look for and at least start with, would be "Zebco" reels and rods..or "Shakespeer"...etc..
and you will find these or similiar economically at Walmart or such.

Having only recently got out to fish after my recent disability, and raising my two grandgirls...I too..have been seen sitting with a "pink" Barbie rod and reel...and proud to do so I might say....:lol:

First thing would be to find out reliably a good place in your area or where you would travel to fish and get out.... What kind of fish to fish for and etc...

One of my favorite outings has always been to "catfish"..a scavenger bottom dweller, where you simply put a weighted / baited line out in deep water on the bottom, leave line barely pulled taught, and sit, relax and wait for tip of rod to jerk..sign of catfish biting...you will know or learn when he gets on...etc.then reel em in...

The condition of the water...etc..will determine if you catch and throw back , for sport, as most do now, or keep and clean and eat.

The art of spin cast...throwing out an dusing a "lure" to attract the strike instincyt of a sport fish will have to be taugh to you by an individual or while you cloesly observe...etc.

Besides catfishing, most other common method to try is simple "float" fishing...use a little plastic floater attached to line...allowing line to hang below at depth you decide...and floater will bounce in water and submerge out of sight when taken...etc..

This method ( here) good for crappie-bass-perch-drum (fun to catch,too bony for eat ) -carp...and similair freah water sport fish...

After talking with a coupe clerks at sporting etc...make a little tackle box and fill with assorted weights, that easily crimp on, several packages of hooks of various sizes,that have the "leaders" or lines already attached...look fora brand "eagle", you should see..

Several sizes of bright "floaters", a little inexpensive multi tool, with pliers/knife...etc..a small but good flashlight...some plastic worms if advised locally and any other items you learn from others that make sense...

When I catfish, I stop at a supermarket, and in frozen food section, there is always at one end, little packages of frozen shrimp,labeled as for fishing and not human consumption...etc...a small baited peice of shrimp is really good here for nearly every fishing type of fish that will bite a standing baited line...you will hear of and learn what is said to be best "where" your gonna go...etc..

-----

Half Blood Knot - This is a high strength multi purpose knot. It's main use is to attach swivels, hooks and lures to the main line.
Assist the formation by pulling down on the roll towards the base.

Swivel to Double - Attaches a swivel to a double with the double remaining intact.

Just keep asking and learning and find a "safe" place to go...watch for snakes around bushy shores...we fish a LOT here after dark by lantern to attract fish to boat or shore, but attract snakes also...

If will be shore fishing, store folding chair with you...etc..keep wet washrags folded in tin foil for later hand washing to eat / wounds..etc. ( learned from mama...yes ...LOL )

Main thing..even if no fish bite or they get away...trip should and will be remembered as a good time if no accidents and all else done right...

Ask any particulars if I can help and sure others will have opinions also..

best regards, and happy fishing...

1shot1k
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/ArticleGraphics/Knots/SwivelToDoubleLine.gif

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
The only way to learn to fish is to go where there are fishermen, and learn from them. Casting is the least of it, and with any spinning reel anyone can do it, but someone must show you the ropes. Use whatever bait the guys who are catching fish are using, and in the same water. You can run 75 miles offshore, and you will find 25 boats fishing on one spot. They have good reason.

But there are plenty of fish that love yucky sewer water. In NY as a kid I used to catch Striped Bass in the sewer outflow from a ten foot diameter sewer pipe where it emptied into the Huidson River, and sold the fish to restaurants. The best place to cast was right where the brown yuck plume met the river water. BTW, the "Coney Island Whitefish" stick to your line!

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello U u m ....I have read your post and you seem sincere about this, and I shall reply as same.

Congratulations on your desire for such, and do not let this or any other trip spoil a good idea of getting out alone or with friends to enjoy the fishing , all aspects and rewards included.

I am just a "country" boy type, and first thought would remind that "fishing" is a wonderful memory for most as me, being taught by dad and relatives/friends while growing up.

If this is not as you had, is understood many reasons as to why not, only mentioning it as to show you I/we indeed understand your desire to do the same, and to readily remind you that, young or old, is NEVER too late to be a fisherman or have an enjoying outing....:biggrin5:

I'll give advice as simple as I can, but strongly suggest you check and ask as many "local" people you can these same questions. At the sporting shops...and especially "bait" shops,if you have them, if you are sincere and show your desire to learn...I assure you , you will find no shortage of folks wanting to show how they do it....just be advised, just take in all the data, and use what seems to be similiar to all...etc...

In my area, TX, a leading brand of equipment for you to look for and at least start with, would be "Zebco" reels and rods..or "Shakespeer"...etc..
and you will find these or similiar economically at Walmart or such.

Having only recently got out to fish after my recent disability, and raising my two grandgirls...I too..have been seen sitting with a "pink" Barbie rod and reel...and proud to do so I might say....:lol:

First thing would be to find out reliably a good place in your area or where you would travel to fish and get out.... What kind of fish to fish for and etc...

One of my favorite outings has always been to "catfish"..a scavenger bottom dweller, where you simply put a weighted / baited line out in deep water on the bottom, leave line barely pulled taught, and sit, relax and wait for tip of rod to jerk..sign of catfish biting...you will know or learn when he gets on...etc.then reel em in...

The condition of the water...etc..will determine if you catch and throw back , for sport, as most do now, or keep and clean and eat.

The art of spin cast...throwing out an dusing a "lure" to attract the strike instincyt of a sport fish will have to be taugh to you by an individual or while you cloesly observe...etc.

Besides catfishing, most other common method to try is simple "float" fishing...use a little plastic floater attached to line...allowing line to hang below at depth you decide...and floater will bounce in water and submerge out of sight when taken...etc..

This method ( here) good for crappie-bass-perch-drum (fun to catch,too bony for eat ) -carp...and similair freah water sport fish...

After talking with a coupe clerks at sporting etc...make a little tackle box and fill with assorted weights, that easily crimp on, several packages of hooks of various sizes,that have the "leaders" or lines already attached...look fora brand "eagle", you should see..

Several sizes of bright "floaters", a little inexpensive multi tool, with pliers/knife...etc..a small but good flashlight...some plastic worms if advised locally and any other items you learn from others that make sense...

When I catfish, I stop at a supermarket, and in frozen food section, there is always at one end, little packages of frozen shrimp,labeled as for fishing and not human consumption...etc...a small baited peice of shrimp is really good here for nearly every fishing type of fish that will bite a standing baited line...you will hear of and learn what is said to be best "where" your gonna go...etc..

-----

Half Blood Knot - This is a high strength multi purpose knot. It's main use is to attach swivels, hooks and lures to the main line.
Assist the formation by pulling down on the roll towards the base.

Swivel to Double - Attaches a swivel to a double with the double remaining intact.

Just keep asking and learning and find a "safe" place to go...watch for snakes around bushy shores...we fish a LOT here after dark by lantern to attract fish to boat or shore, but attract snakes also...

If will be shore fishing, store folding chair with you...etc..keep wet washrags folded in tin foil for later hand washing to eat / wounds..etc. ( learned from mama...yes ...LOL )

Main thing..even if no fish bite or they get away...trip should and will be remembered as a good time if no accidents and all else done right...

Ask any particulars if I can help and sure others will have opinions also..

best regards, and happy fishing...

1shot1k
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/images/stories/ArticleGraphics/Knots/SwivelToDoubleLine.gif
Hello and thank you very much, 1shot1k. I have been a city dweller all of my life without the fortune of having outdoorsy family members or friends, so I have not experienced anything to do with the outdoors. A crying shame.

I would like to express my gratitude to you for responding to my post in a manner characteristic of respect, encouragement, and kindness. Your post was also very, very educational. I will try to find some locals who do this stuff on a regular basis and go out with them, and try to learn as much as I can. I will keep those brands and techniques you had mentioned in mind.

Thank you very much, good sir. :thumbsup:

·
5,082 Posts
No problem pardner...and as Popeye and Brewster agreed, do as the locals do...etc...you will have a good trip....thats what counts..

By the way...when you do catch one or enjoy the next outing...put up a pic of you or yall on trip....next good weather I m gonna put one up of my
grandgirls fishin at the park.....:biggrin5:

1shot

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem pardner...and as Popeye and Brewster agreed, do as the locals do...etc...you will have a good trip....thats what counts..

By the way...when you do catch one or enjoy the next outing...put up a pic of you or yall on trip....next good weather I m gonna put one up of my
grandgirls fishin at the park.....:biggrin5:

1shot
Will do sir! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
We use corn for carp, catfish, and bullheads.

It is unfortunate that you think that you might have been given a bad start with fishing. I do agree that you need a rod and reel that works for you. Never think that fish don't live in other than clean water though. I was fortunate that I came from a family that liked to drown worms. I found that patience was the best way to fish. I would also go to ponds and lakes where a lot of people would be fishing. You would be surprised how many fisherman would talk to you, tell some stories, and give you some advise. Especially if you let them know you are just learning the basics. You will soon find out why they call them "Fish stories". Fishermen love to brag about the perfect lure, the perfect rod and reel, and the perfect weather for catching a certain fish. I learned to bass fish by being lucky moving in next door to a paraplegic that did nothing but hunt and fish. It worked out because he couldn't do it himself, and I was willing to spend countless hours on the water learning how to catch the largest fish of the day. Unfortunately he died of cancer a few years back, but everything I learned from him I have retained. I have happily taken that knowledge and passed it on to others.

Fishing is like this, a bad day fishing is better than a good day working. I love it, just don't get much time for it any more.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Regarding casting, I used to set up a target in the yard (coffee can, old tire) and practiced casting at it.

The need to be able to cast well depends upon the kind of fishing you're doing.

If you're bass fishing at the edge of lakes or ponds from a boat, you need to be a little more accurate that you need to be if fishing in the middle of a lake or river.

You don't have to spend a lot to get reasonable tackle.

Just avoid those blister-packed units.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts