National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am moving from my gun-less SO-Cal home to Nebraska. I have never own a gun before but I think having one or a few in Nebraska would be fun for hunting a recreational purposes. I would want 1 handgun and 1 rifle. For the handgun I was looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Full size. I have no idea what I want in a rifle. What kind of rifle and handgun should a new gun owner get for basic hunting and recreational purposes?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The M&P is a good choice. I have never owned one or shot one but I have heard they are quite nice.

For a fun rifle to start with I would consider a Ruger 10/22 in 22 caliber. Lots of fun, and inexpensive to buy and shoot. Later maybe a larger caliber if you get into hunting deer.

A better choice might be a shotgun for that area of the country since there are many birds and other small game to hunt.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Welcome Almighty-Mango,

SoCal to Nebraska huh? That should be culture shock....but in a good way.

I love 1911's, but am partial to Colt and Springfield Armory and in .45 If you have to have a 9mm, then think about an XD-9 from Springfield Armory.

If you are new to shooting, then I also recommend a Ruger 10/22 to start out with. You can get a hunting rifle later when you find out what you are going to be hunting.

Here is the rule though: All new gun enthusiasts must buy at least 1 each: Rifle, shotgun and handgun (prefereably 2 handguns - 1 pistol and 1 revolver)
Sorry, its just 'the rules'
Good luck w/everything

1 - 3 of 3 Posts