National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
The first thing after buying isn鈥檛 voting. Anyone should be able to buy a gun, but no-one should be able to carry legally without training. Not tactical training, Not even range training.... marksmanship is only one thing. I don鈥檛 care if you hit the bull or the 7 ring. I鈥檓 talking 鈥淪pacial awareness training鈥. Just knowing to check your backstop, keep your booger hook off the trigger, pointing in a safe direction when around others, and recognize threats before they become active. Accident prevention.

Keep calm & return fire!
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The premise and intent of the video is "the first thing you should STOP doing after buying your first gun" NOT "the first thing you should do after buying your first gun"
While I agree with you that training should be strongly encouraged, I disagree that we need anymore government intrusion or requirements to exercise our second amendment rights.

Registered
The first thing after buying isn鈥檛 voting. Anyone should be able to buy a gun, but no-one should be able to carry legally without training. Not tactical training, Not even range training.... marksmanship is only one thing. I don鈥檛 care if you hit the bull or the 7 ring. I鈥檓 talking 鈥淪pacial awareness training鈥. Just knowing to check your backstop, keep your booger hook off the trigger, pointing in a safe direction when around others, and recognize threats before they become active. Accident prevention.
And who made you training God? Sorry, there is no special training for buying a chainsaw, or a kitchen knife............nor should there be for a gun. SHOULD a reasonable person get some sembalnce of instruction? Sure....should it mandatory to satisfy your viewpoint? Not at all

Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
Na, you're right. .... holding a chainsaw wrong three rooms away down a hall might kill me accidentally if they let go of that brake! You're showing the dense side of critical thinking.

Premium Member
I can only handle so much of this kind of crap. Yes, get some safety training. Yes, stop voting for the people and party that want to take away your rights and or make it much too difficult to exercise your rights and freedoms.
Speed made a very good post. So many of these new guys are whiny little bitches. Life is too short. Ugh! Im not looking to argue or belittle anyone鈥檚 opinion but relax. See the trees hiding in the Forrest. You鈥檒l be the safest guy on the firing line if you can鈥檛 buy a gun.

Sorry, sometimes I get in a mood.

Registered
Na, you're right. .... holding a chainsaw wrong three rooms away down a hall might kill me accidentally if they let go of that brake! You're showing the dense side of critical thinking.
You have more chance of falling and getting killed in your bathtub or shower than by a negligent or accidental discharge.
The same could be said about your thinking.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Registered
I think it's a great idea for training and testing before buying a gun. There are way too many idiots out there, even well meaning idiots with guns. That lady in front of her house comes to mind. The one with her finger on the trigger pointing her handgun at people.

The problem is you can make an end run around the 2nd amendment and make the requirements so strict that you can infringe on peoples rights to keep and bear arms. You can control gun ownership with unreasonable training requirements or stringent testing.

I talk to people about guns all the time. I take new people to the range for training. The main requirement is learning, being able to explain and following safety rules before we ever step foot in the range. That's my requirement to keep them and others around them safe. They can still buy a gun and know nothing but I like to think I influence them to want to know basic gun safety and pass it on to others.

Reactions: Stamps6

Registered
And that includes voting and passing a test - oh wait; they ruled that was unconstitutional.........................if you aren't smart enough to handle a gun, or smart enough to know you can't and should get some advice/training, that is on you; BUT NO right should have anything MANDATORY required in order to exercise it because then it just became a privilege, not a right.

Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
Who said mandatory before purchase? You can own a gun, just don鈥檛 be an a$$h0Ie and carry it in a crowd of people before someone shows you HOW TO USE IT.

The first thing after buying isn鈥檛 voting. Anyone should be able to buy a gun, but no-one should be able to carry legally without training.
i mean i know it鈥檚 there in black and white, but I鈥檒l quote it again........

Premium Member
I believe the point is that any requirement that is accepted as a good idea, can be changed in to a common sense law which then can then be used a a requirement and the next thing you know, it鈥檚 a stumbling block and deterrent.
They make getting a handgun so difficult in NJ that people just say, 鈥 forget it鈥. Same idea.

Registered
There's always going to be somebody who handles firearms badly. IMO, Colin is right, there's folks out there who aren't connecting the dots, on issues like their own inaction, or apathy toward GC.

I'll be interested to see if there is an upsurge in NRA membership, after this recent increase in new gun ownership.

Registered
Who said mandatory before purchase? You can own a gun, just don鈥檛 be an a$$h0Ie and carry it in a crowd of people before someone shows you HOW TO USE IT.

i mean i know it鈥檚 there in black and white, but I鈥檒l quote it again........
So you are OK with a right becoming a privilege? WOW

Registered
Why do people conflate "training" with "safety, proficiency and good judgement?" Are they fooled because training courses have those things on the syllabus? They shouldn't be. I have had a lot of training, but I was safe and proficient with DA revolvers at 12 years old, before there was any training outside of the military and LE. My Dad taught me, but I didn't get any certificate.

Years later, when I did get some serious training, I saw a lot of safety violations and some questionable proficiency and judgement among supposedly advanced shooters. In addition, have a relative who has been a USCG boarding team member, a small town chief of police and a big city deputy sheriff. I won't go to the range with him he is so sloppy and stupid. Training is not the point. Safety, proficiency and judgement are the point. And apparently training courses don't guarantee those things.

The signers of the BOR never went through a training class and they didn't write a requirement for it in 2A. They assumed people had common sense. People don't always have common sense nowadays, but they can't learn it in a class. "Stupid is as stupid does."

Super Moderator
A right is never conditional upon any other factor or circumstance or event. It's just a right. The 2A gives us the right to have a gun.

The responsibilities that go with it, however, can't be eliminated, regardless. Whatever consequences apply to gun actions cannot be extinguished.

--Wag--

Reactions: m5215

Registered
WOW They got the nerve to tell me to "STOP" or get a vacation this should have had the legs cut off it after the 3rd post. "Rights" and "Privilege" what my 50 years above ground taught me with enough $$$ or the right _a_l washing the privileged grant one "Rights" all others have to unite and fight and over throw. King James/French Revolution/American Revolution those that were tired of being down trodden Fought. If voting is so powerful why the electoral college? Buy a gun learn how to use carry and present. and pick a side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.