National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned or even shot a gun before, just looking into getting something to go shoot with my buddy but that's good for home defense also. I've been looking at Mossberg 500s, Ruger 10/22, or some kind of Taurus pistol. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice that would be awesome, thanks

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
OK, You need to ask yourself some question:
Do you want it only for the range or carry also?
What caliber do you want? If you going to carry it then I would say get a .40 or .45
Do you want the gun to have a safety? Glock dosent really have safety. Taures Does!
What fits your hand the best?
How much do you wanna spend?

Im really into the Taures. I own a PT140PRO. Its a .40 but Its my carry weapon also.
If you buy a taures you get a life time warrenty and a year with the NRA for free.
Here are two guns I would suggest. (this is only MY opion.)--->>>>

This one is the one I carry ( Its a .40) and take to the range!!
http://www.taurususa.com/products/produ ... ory=Pistol

This one is a great range gun, but I would get it in a 9mm for the range--->>>
http://www.taurususa.com/products/produ ... ory=Pistol

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That definitely gives me somewhere to start, thank you. I'm looking for a carry weapon as well as for the range. The PT92s are more in my price range but I could probably afford the two that you recommended

·
Registered
213 Posts
I cant recommend one even though I have many and like the **** out of all of them but I can point you in what I think is a good direction. buy a priceguide to know approximate value and to see pictures. Go to gun shops, shows, gun range and rent guns to shoot, go to pawn shops and get a used one even, look in the classifieds. Make sure the gun fits you, grips, the action, styling, caliber, decide if you want to customize it, try the trigger (dry firing) to see if you like the trigger. Most gun shops/sellers ask you not to dry fire the gun because its possible but not likely to damage firing pin. I just say "Hey if Im buying a car I need to testdrive it." When you narrow down your choices after all your considerations like what you will use it for, do a little research or ask us at the forum if thats a reliable gun. In the end you get the gun that you want in the caliber and set up that you want and your happy with the money you just spent. Some people like their guns for a reason and some people hate those guns for the same reason..heavy, light, too much recoil, too weak, long trigger pull, blah blah list goes on etc. Just go find a gun that YOU like and you'll be happier with it. Shoot it up my friend -I :---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thread starts with a proposition that is almost impossible to answer.
Like going on a car forum and posting" I've just turned 16 and have a driver's license, what car should I buy?"

This person needs to sit down with one of the old pro's on the Forum for awhile. Everyone gave a good answer but.......it all depends.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
whompuss makes a good point, what it comes down to, does the gun in your hand fit you, are you secure holding it, and how secure do you feel firing it, every gun fits every shooter different. You need to look as much as you can,dont buy the first thing you see, cause sooner or later the gun you trully feel good with will find you, you will know when you have the right weapon for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts