National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a shotgun after Christmas and I know I want a tactical Mossberg 500 persuader 12 gauge. I'm just not sure which I am set on; the 6 or 8 shot. I guess it's just boiling down to looks which I know I shouldn't purchase a gun based on this. It will be used for home defense and to carry in my car occasionally. I am really looking at 2 things. Debating whether the 8 shot is necessary given the length of time a typical firefight could last vs having 2 extra shots and the customization of each gun. Does one have a greater area for customization? I know like in most cases these will boil down to personal preferences but any advice would be great. Also, does anyone know if the 6 shot breacher model can have a heat shield attached? Thanks guys and see my new member post.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have had my 500 for a long time and I have had no regrets ... mine is the 8-shot ( why settle for six when you can have eight ) 20'' barrel... came with a pistol grip as well as the full stock .
As far as I know you can get a heat shield for just about any " Tactical " shotgun .

Good luck and good shooting .

Reactions: glewisme

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Mossberg 500s are very versatile, with a huge aftermarket.

Consider that you can reload quickly, on the run. The real

question is have you tried the 12 gauge with the pistol grip, yet?

If you are accustomed to it, it makes a great truck gun, a buddy

of mine has one he carries for poisonous snakes. But you need to

practice with a pistol grip. You can't hold it like a flower, or it will rip

your face off.

I've shot both, and I prefer the standard shoulder stock. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I have the 8-shot, too. Load that up with one-ounce slugs and go looking for deer, you'll have regrets after the first half-mile, it's heavy when loaded. But it's durable and reliable.

I'd say, get the 8-shot (8+1) for the extra capacity. You won't always need it (or want it, like for hunting). But if you need it and don't have it, you could become sad or even worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just like the look of the 6 shot and plus, there's always the drum kit that can be added for 10 shots but need to find out if the drum attachment is legal in TN first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts