National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like @Philmo11 having to report issues with a new stainless 1911 :)

The gun shoots at point of aim at 30' and was a pleasure, a real pleasure to shoot... Great trigger, great ergos, even the black target sights were easy on my old eyes.

It's the one on top in the pic

But... No matter what magazine I used... No matter how many rounds I put in the magazine... The slide would not lock back after the last round. But... It does lock back if racked with an empty mag.

I was shooting 115gr FMJ (a few different brands). They were not reloads.

I used mags from Bul-Armory, Ed Brown, Brownells and Wilson Combat. The slide locks back manually on each of those empty mags.

What the heck Walter?

Anyone have an idea why that would happen?

White Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
29,862 Posts
I suggest getting some Wolff extra power magazine springs and replace springs in the magazine.

Reactions: IowaShooter

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try a few good 124gr rounds and see what happens. May not be getting enough blow back from your 115 rounds to lock that slide. A 124 +P just to see. Israeli ammo for those is usually 124 gr and hot. Also, more break in rounds could help a lot also.
I like that idea… will do. I have a boatload of 124gr and will give it a try

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Certainly worth a good try. Also if not at this time, load those magazines up and leave them loaded for a few days.
Some times helps. I would not worry until after I fired 200 or more rounds through that pistol.
Will do… just funny… never had do do this with the dozen or so other 1911s I‘ve had before

and odd that none of the mags… of all four types/brands would work (only two of the six I tried were new mags)… has to be the gun needing the heavier bullet to breakin and cycle slide all the way back

I’ve followed break in routines for lubing and cleaning… but never had functionality issues as part of the required breakin

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
May just be machined a hair tight. Springs may just be a hair too stiff. There’s some parts that just need a little smacking and sliding before it’s just right. Think about the cars made in the 60’s and earlier. If they went 100K miles they were worn out. Now look at todays cars. I have one with over 300K on it. Better machining, tighter tolerances and better materials. The same goes for almost every product and you pistol just has to be broken in or worn in to function properly. Personally I like that.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,594 Posts
Is it possible the slide just isn't returning far enough back for the slide lock to engage? If that's the case, recoil spring is probably just a bit stiff or drag on contact surfaces. Heavier load will probably do the trick until it breaks in, 147gr maybe, for a little while at least. I am not a +P fan. I haven't had this problem lately. If I did, it was just 1 or 2 mags to start. I'd be more concerned with locking back on a loaded mag than not locking back on an empty. So log as empties are ejecting, I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
And that S&B is loaded to European standards. Not as wimpy as so much US made ammo is now a days.
I suspect after the gun is used more, perhaps the 115 gr rounds will work also. Perhaps not on some of the cheaper brands though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts