National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Guns Gear & Freedom
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my first shots from my Remington 700 ADL chambered in .308 Winchester. The Remington 700 is an iconic bolt action rifle that is a legend for accuracy and dependability in the field. The U.S. military even uses the Remington 700 action in their custom sniper rifle applications.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
BILLINGS — A Montana man who sued Remington Arms Co. said the manufacturer should be commended for recalling the model rifle he claims was responsible for the death of his 9-year-old son.
Remington issued a nationwide recall in April of its Model 700 and Model Seven rifles equipped with the X-Mark Pro trigger that were manufactured between May 2006 and April 9, 2014.
Richard Barber filed a lawsuit in the death of his son Gus, who was shot when a Model 700 bolt-action rifle discharged as the boy’s mother was unloading it in 2000. His lawsuit led the company to recall 2.5 million rifles in 2002 to modify a safety on bolt-action rifles made before 1982.
Barber, from Manhattan, Montana, told the Billings Gazette in a story published Thursday the new recall is important because it signifies that Remington may be coming around.
“I support them in this. They shouldn’t be persecuted. They should be commended,” he said.
I remember this incident as I was still living in the northwest at that time and this story made the news all over the northwest. My questions then and now are....

Why was the mother pointing the rifle at her son while attempting to clear the magazine?

I had suspected that the rifle involved was an ADL with a blind magazine, requiring her to cycle the ammo through the action during the process, none of the news stories specified which model 700 variant was involved.

Secondly: Why is a tragedy such as this somehow the fault of the manufacturer when it was the result of irresponsible and unsafe firearms handling practices.

The primary rules of firearms safety were ignored by the gun owner. While I sympathize with their tragic loss I still cannot see where this incident was the manufacturers fault.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I agree with you Mike.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I agree with you Mike.
Me also.
Then you read.
A 2010 CNBC report found that more than 75 lawsuits had been filed against the company alleging the trigger was prone to fire without being touched. The documentary prompted additional lawsuits claiming problems with the trigger assembly.
Were they all negligence also?

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Ken just a couple things that I noticed that will help improve your groups.

1.Set your rifle up where you can see 7-800 yards plus,,Set your AO to infinity..then dial your focus ring/eye piece in till the reticle is clear and sharp.Then lock the focus ring down or mark it,,,never touch it again.

2.The graduations/calibrations on the AO of a scope are approximations ONLY... they are to get you close. If shooting is critical, then check for parallax by moving your eye and adjusting until there is NO movement of the crosshair/target images.Just because the image appears clear doesn't mean your parallax is adjusted correctly.

3.Rings,,,as you found out they are important,,no sense in going cheap there,,,that's the only thing connecting your scope to your rifle.IMO for the money Burris Signature Series with the inserts are worth it.No they aren't tacticool but they hold and will not leave ring marks on your scope.Unless your a gorilla with a wrench.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
A 2010 CNBC report found that more than 75 lawsuits had been filed against the company alleging the trigger was prone to fire without being touched.
CNBC is an American basic cable and satellite business news television channel that is owned by the NBCUniversal News Group.

Yup. They're unbiased, without agenda, an expert in firearms and totally honest.

"The gun went off all by itself!"

Everyone with a scintilla of knowledge knows that is a lie.

Reactions: bushrat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts