National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. as stated in a previous post, im a european looking for advice. I´ll be moving to austria soon, which has a lot more lax firearm laws than germany, and i´m putting together a "loadout" of sorts, just to see what it the cost would amount to. Austrias license system works like this: 2 semi-automatic firearms, be they rifles, shotguns or handguns. (rifles/shotguns get 10 round mags maximum, handguns 20). This can be expanded, but it´s difficult. Repeating Rifles, as well as break-action shotguns, are "category c", and thus do not apply to the license. they still need to be registered, but you can technically own an infinite amount of them. (apologies, this massive textwall will be important for the sidenote.)
Now, the main point of this post. I have been looking at a few rifles in particular.
1: Unique Alpine UPG-1 Overview - Unique Alpine These are made in germany. The version most stores have costs 2.6k euro, and has a folding stock, ar-compatible pistol grip, and AICS magwell. (this is important because anything but magpul mags is stupidly expensive here. think 100 dollars for a Howa 1500 mag expensive).
2: Unique Alpine JPR-1 Highland Overview - Unique Alpine This one´s only simmilarities to the UPG are that it´s also .308, and also takes AICS magazines. this one is 600 euro cheaper than that aswell, but it cannot mount bipods, as far as i can tell.
There are also some other options, such as tikka and howa, but these would all require mdification to take aics mags, and would thus propably be more expensive than those two.
Can anyone who who is experienced in the long-range field tell me if these are good options?

Now, the sidenote. Once the "loadout" is bought, i wanted to set aside some bolt-actions for the friends and family that come running, should something happen. You know, the "yes, i was wrong, now please tell me you have spares" situation. i was considering surplus mosin-nagant 91-31 for this, plus 10 full stripper clips per rifle, a cheap aftermarket buttpad and a sling. This together is either ~700 or ~800 euro per rifle (hexagonal system ones cost 100 euro more than round system). This is still a lot cheaper than fresh rifles. Is this a good idea, or should i look for something else?

I apologize for this massive textwall. If youve come this far, thank you for your time. Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Leon

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
.... or should i look for something else?....
Leon, before 11/2020, I would have suggested you buy a plane ticket and immigrate to the US. There are still some States where you would not have to be making the decisions you're making. However, our current President and his cheerleaders in the Congress and News Media are trying their dead level best to turn us into a State where our 2nd Amendment does not exist.

I know nothing about the rifles you have mentioned and that type of rifle just isn't my thing really. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

I hated seeing your post just sitting here with no responses. This was the best I could do...

Alan

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,270 Posts
I don’t know this manufacturer either but from what I can see, your first rifle, UPG-1 is a precision modular chassis rifle with a match grade bull barrel. That’s what the extra money is going towards. I would expect it to be quite a bit better for real long range than the JPR-1 which is more of a hunting style rifle. From best I can tell, there is a sling stud on the JPR-1 that a bipod can be attached to, just get one that attaches to the sling stud, not a pic rail mounted bipod.

As for the Mosin, that’s about $850-950 USD. Sounds pricey for a surplus rifle but I have no idea what your market is like there. There are several on here who own and shoot them, I am not one of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leon, before 11/2020, I would have suggested you buy a plane ticket and immigrate to the US. There are still some States where you would not have to be making the decisions you're making. However, our current President and his cheerleaders in the Congress and News Media are trying their dead level best to turn us into a State where our 2nd Amendment does not exist.

I know nothing about the rifles you have mentioned and that type of rifle just isn't my thing really. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

I hated seeing your post just sitting here with no responses. This was the best I could do...

Alan

Alan
That's quite kind of you, sir. Moving to the states was the original idea. But legal migration is... more than a little bullshit. You need to go through what's called the "diversity visa program" or something like that. It means 50k green cards are "given"(you still need to apply for them properly) worldwide, through a lottery. To apply i would have to have a higher school degree or 2 years in a job i did 2 years of aprenticeship (not sure if that's the correct word) for, and even then, it's still a lottery. That was in place before 11.20, not sure since when exactly. In the EU it's simpler. Pick a country, find housing, find a job, do paperwork like insurances and such and your'e in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, all you need to do is go to Mexico, spend a couple days getting a tan, buy yourself a sombrero and wade across the Rio Grand. When you get to the other side, tell them your name is Jose Sanchez
Fair enough, lol. But by now the austria idea is pretty much set, so a bit too late. (Move is in ~10 months)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t know this manufacturer either but from what I can see, your first rifle, UPG-1 is a precision modular chassis rifle with a match grade bull barrel. That’s what the extra money is going towards. I would expect it to be quite a bit better for real long range than the JPR-1 which is more of a hunting style rifle. From best I can tell, there is a sling stud on the JPR-1 that a bipod can be attached to, just get one that attaches to the sling stud, not a pic rail mounted bipod.

As for the Mosin, that’s about $850-950 USD. Sounds pricey for a surplus rifle but I have no idea what your market is like there. There are several on here who own and shoot them, I am not one of them.
Huh, didn't know you could mount bipods that way. I just figured it was a sling swivel. In terms of manufacturer, theyr'e pretty renonwned over here. Apparently one of their lead guys helped FN design the ballista, thats wjere the visual design largely stems from. The market here? Boy howdy. Anything with a decent name on it is going to cost you a kidney or 2. Steyr bold actions typically go for 5k plus without optics. Want a semi-auto 416? That 4.5k. Shooting is typically a rich man's sport here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or you could try blending in with the Haitian migrants that are flooding the southern border now… This was posted yesterday.

Yeah, iv'e seen that. Holy ****, those are a lot of people. Not to break up the conversation, but iv'e got to head to work, its early in the morning for me. Thank you for all your replies, and see you later, maybe.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,270 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a bit of looking around, ive found a new contender: the Sabatti STR in .300 Winchester Magnum. It would cost about the same as the UPG-1, but with the added power of .300 win. it also wheights a bit more from what i can tell, and has a semi-polygonal rifling. According to the maufacturer, this increases muzzle velocity by about 12 percent. Does anyone have experience with Sabatti guns?

·
Salmon Slayer
889 Posts
After a bit of looking around, ive found a new contender: the Sabatti STR in .300 Winchester Magnum. It would cost about the same as the UPG-1, but with the added power of .300 win. it also wheights a bit more from what i can tell, and has a semi-polygonal rifling. According to the maufacturer, this increases muzzle velocity by about 12 percent. Does anyone have experience with Sabatti guns?
Leon, I have no experience with a Sabatti rifle. Have you ever shot a 300WM? They have hellacious recoil, I’m not that recoil shy but man, I’ll tell you I will never own a rifle that caliber.
.308 would be my choice in a bolt action rifle. YMMV

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Leon, I have no experience with a Sabatti rifle. Have you ever shot a 300WM? They have hellacious recoil, I’m not that recoil shy but man, I’ll tell you I will never own a rifle that caliber.
.308 would be my choice in a bolt action rifle. YMMV

GOOD LUCK
Ive heard that complaint, yeah. Good chance to get a flinch habit. Also the trainers in the area dont offer training in .300 win, and its stupidly expensive. Just threw that on here in case it was some hidden gem of a rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you go that big, get a heavy rifle and a hell of a big muzzle brake and it’s fine. I have a 16lb Ruger precision 300 PRC that would be the big brother to the 300 win mag. It’s not bad at all. That’s is on my shoulder. It’s a beast.

View attachment 129255

One hand shooting is possible
View attachment 129258
They actually have the same rifle around here, in anything from .308 to .338. Heard its an amazing rifle for the money.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,270 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.