National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this sight and I have a good feeling you guys can help.

My birthday is just a couple of weeks away and with the money I get I plan on buying my first shotgun. I plan on using the gun for the up coming turkey season as well as some skeet shooting every now and then. What gun do you guys recommend for these two?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only gun I've actually bought, was a mossberg 500 (maverick 88)
I like it cause it has the 28" field barrel that I can put a choke on and use for hunting or skeet, and it also has the 18.5" security barrel which I put a laser site on and use a pistol grip for home security.

It's a great all-around shotgun

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the above mentioned Mossburg 500 or a Remington 870 would be just fine for your intended purposes. Two of the most rugged, reliable shotguns ever made!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a strong Benelli fan, but shop wisely. A good 12ga. Nova won't set ya back to bad, and it's recoil is much less than a 870 or 500. good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 with gunman and spec ops.cant go wrong w/ mossberg and add on barrels for a first shotgun.versitility is key w/the first one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome bwood71- glad to have you! I'm an over de hill old dude, I started with a Rem 11-48, first new one was a Browning Sweet 16, course that was in 1963.
They've come a long way since then, but I've still got the 16. Listen to the young bucks for advice. :---

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mr. bwood71 -- good advice already given. If you want to learn more, just do a search for either the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. We've talked about them a lot.

Glad you joined us,

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Anything that you can put shot on birds with is GTG. Get out there and make some friends, test out their shotguns.

I have never been into turkey hunting. But neither the 870, nor the Benelli SBE has let me down when putting down any game. But I do not know how the SBE does with turkey.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are excellent first choices BUT take a look at the Mossberg Model 835 for an ungrade on the 500 - especially in Turkey Magnum configuration - or - if you want to go semi-auto - take a look at the Mossbery 935.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Remington 870 Express. I love that gun. And it is beautiful with the wood finish.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Maverick 88... dirt cheap and reliable as anything

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Magnum

As everyone else has said... you cannot go wrong with either! :mrgreen:

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
My first was an 870. Still have it. Still working like a champ, regardless of the abuse I put it through.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
spec_ops57 said:
The only gun I've actually bought, was a mossberg 500 (maverick 88)
I like it cause it has the 28" field barrel that I can put a choke on and use for hunting or skeet, and it also has the 18.5" security barrel which I put a laser site on and use a pistol grip for home security.

It's a great all-around shotgun

HELL YEAH!!! nice to see somebody with a Maverick that actually states that its a Maverick! yeah i got the security model with the 20" barrel, came a custom assault pistol grip AND the full stock, and yes it is rugged as anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can't go wrong with a mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, they are the most dependable, long-lasting, proven actions in shotguns, copies are ok if you want it cheap, but even the real deal can go for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well if you want skeet primarily, id suggest a semiaut benelli...but seeing that your want a reliable cheap first shotgun, you cant beat the tried and trusted 870.

·
Registered
215 Posts
my personal fav. is my mossberg 590 mariner

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are excellent first choices BUT take a look at the Mossberg Model 835 for an ungrade on the 500 - especially in Turkey Magnum configuration - or - if you want to go semi-auto - take a look at the Mossbery 935.
32 Magnum has a very good idea. I have the Mossy 835 Turkey Magnum and it is one sweet shotgun.

In addition, I have the Benelli Super Nova pump 12 gauge with pistol grip. Very nice shotgun and tracks extremely well in trap games.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts