National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would like to state my use: I plan on hunting Coyote, Deer and eventually maybe bigger game (Elk, Moose).

Here is my situation, I do not own any guns but I have experience with rifles shotguns and handguns. I am not a great shot but I am not entirely new to guns. So my question is as follows, I have a budget of around 500$, I am wondering if I should: buy either a ruger American or Savage 110 30-06 and a 3x9x40 scope or maybe spend all of the money on the gun itself and use iron sights.

If you think I should get a different first gun i.e. 10/22 I am open to the idea.

Thanks

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
What I think is that for that kind of money you can buy a used M700 at a gun show and have some ching left over for ammo. For general use the 30-06 will take any game in North or South America and most other continents as well with the correct bullet and load. There's really nothing wrong with used guns, and a M700 is really tough to use up. I don't have a Ruger BA but I do have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I would choose a Rem M700.

Alan

Reactions: Steyr Man 146

· Registered
Navy Vet
2,882 Posts
I have only read good reviews for the Ruger American, price, quality etc. But Savage is a fine firearm also. If I were buying, I would probably go with the Ruger, but someone else here may give you a different opinion based on their experience. However, if you are hunting coyote and deer I should think that you would want a scope, especially for the coyote.

· Registered
23 Posts
I agree that a good 30-06 with a scope to reach out to 300 yds since it will give you a multitude of ammunition.. The 30 caliber is the most versatile ballistic made in the us and it can we reloaded with light or heavy grain bullets with many different velocities. Start with a good solid bolt action used is preferred.

· Registered
7,193 Posts
Savage is my choice------but whatever you buy please save some money and put some good glass on it.

· Registered
8,212 Posts
As you have seen we all have our private preferences. The universal agreement is .30/06 with good glass. There is an old saying in the gun world: "Beware of the man with only one rifle. He more than likely knows how to use it." Practice. Practice. Practice. And then Practice some more.

· Registered
7,253 Posts
The M700 is awesome...like Alan said a used one would be good also, it is a bad Idea to put cheap scopes on them as it will pay off in the long run to save for a really good scope.

Bottom line...don't buy your scope at walley world:blowaway:

· Registered
5 Posts
I agree with most on this subject isn't it great that it has become hard to buy a bad rifle. My suggestion is this go to a gun store first pick out 3 different models handle them a lot make decisions on which features in what positions you like best. Such as safety location adjustable or non adjustable triggers iron sights with drilled and tapped receiver or no iron sights at all finish options ("wood and blue is beautiful but not practical on a cold rainy day compared to weather shield type Rifles"). Bolt release location and ease of use etc. Take those 3 and search up reviews when reading reviews remember every one has there own opinion and sometimes people will dog something just because they just don't like it for whatever reason or they spent there money somewhere else and hate that you disagree with them. Instead of wasting your time reading that look for key phrases like if 5 people say I had this problem then maybe you should look into it and also track record and history mean everything (which is why your seeing a lot of M700. Remember your the one behind the trigger on this one and the more you are comfortable with your choices the better shooter you will be. I love my Rem 700 in 30.06 but I find my self carrying my savage more and more every year and it is way more gun for the money. (Just Saying)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.