National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just getting started and I knew I wanted to build my first rifle myself so I could learn as much as possible so I figured an AR-15 was the way to start. I wanted to make sure it was something I would be keeping long term so after 80-100 hours of reading and video research I picked out my parts.

So far I've ordered:

PSA 18" CHF Rifle-Length .223 Wylde 1:8 15" Geissele MK14 M-Lok Upper - No BCG or CH
PSA Custom 5.56 BCG DLC Coated- Gray
Radian Weapons Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle
Velocity MPC Triggers (mpc-triggers-Straight with Finger Stop-3lb-Serrated Flat Face-nickel)
AR-STONER Modular Single Point Bungee Sling Black Nylon
Troy Industries OEM M4 Receiver End Plate Sling Mount Adapter 2 Position Ambidextrous with Quick Detach Sling Swivel
BCMGUNFIGHTER Stock Assembly-Mod 0-SOPMOD-Black
JP Enterprises Silent Captured Recoil Buffer Spring Assembly Gen 2 AR-15
Ergo Buffer Tube
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip
2x ETS AR15 Mags
CAM Universal Loader

Plan to use a Aero Precision M4E1 lower. So far I can only find the flat dark earth locally and wanna go with anodized black. Will be going out looking this weekend and if I can't find it will try and order or FFL one. Have no idea on optics right now. This will be more of a hunting rifle and somewhat longer range target practice so any suggestions welcome.

Can anyone recommend what all I might be missing and need especially for tools and for cleaning and maintenance. Still need a good rifle bag or case.

Also plan on ordering and starting paperwork on a Q El Camino suppressor and getting a HK416 22LR as my plinker\truck weapon this weekend. I think it will be a good option for turning some friends on to shooting.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
For tools you'll need,
A armors wrench that will fit your barrel nut(they are not all the same type), buffer tube and muzzle device if the upper doesn't come put together. Also a torque wrench and a vise block to hold the upper, again if it doesn't come put together. If you don't need to get all that then you just need a spanner wrench for the buffer tube. it can be done without one but you chance marring it up. A quality box wrench or crows foot can be used for the muzzle device.
For the lower a mag well vice block is handy to hold it while putting it together. Roll pin punches i would say are a must to avoid damage. Roll pin starters are real helpful. Front take down assembly tool looks handy but i use a razor blade trick which you have probably seen if you watched that many videos. Fair warning, if the detent flies out they manage to end up in another universe and you have a better chance of rosy o'donnell moving to Canada than finding it. You should cover the side of the receiver so you don't scratch it while doing the bolt catch roll pin, simple masking tape works fine. You also need something to support the tabs when installing the trigger guard roll pin. A small piece of wood can be used. The tabs are small and can break easily. Lastly you need patience. They mostly go together pretty easy but a couple of parts can be frustrating if you've never done one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Square Target2.

The upper is complete. Eventually want to be able to install my own barrels and gas blocks but its more than I want to take on this time. Also one of the reasons I went with the Aero lower is the built in trigger guard so don't have to worry about breaking anything and it uses a threaded pin for the bolt release so no worry about damage trying to hammer that pin in. Thanks for mentioning the front take down pin, will get a clevis pin which will make it super easy to install.

Will have to look for a good wrench for the buffer install. Ordered a brass hammer and punch set.

Ordered a few more parts.
Radian Talon Ambidextrous 45/90 Safety Selector 2-Lever Set AR-15 Aluminum
Strike Industries Extended Bolt Catch
Strike Industries AMBI Magazine Release - Black
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Pivot & Takedown Pin Set - Titanium

1 - 3 of 3 Posts