National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to build an AR, but I've never done anything like this before. I know that some of you (leeindy) have done this a number of times and love it. I have no idea where to start though, so bring on the HELP! :---

some questions that I have: What kind of upper should I be looking at? Where should I get it? Should I get a complete kit that only needs a stripped lower, or should I go with an upper half that will need a few parts? Where can I afford to pinch pennies and where should I spare no expense (trying to get the most BANG for my buck)? Where can I get a lower, and which ones should I be looking at?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
whats your budget?

do you want a mil spec rifle?

i would find a lower first. essential arms isnt bad along with stag dpms thell all run about 120 bucks.

build your lower and buy an assembled upper.

dont skimp on the parts kit. the stocks not a big issue i use high standards brand.

parts kits i would go stag, dpms, RRA.

if you want a really good trigger get the RRA 2 stage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd really like to spend somewhere around $600.

forgive me, but I don't even know what a milspec would be...

There are somany different configurations of uppers that I don't know what I should get...

p.s. Do the parts kit and the lower reciever need to be from the same manufacturer?

Are there different kinds of lower recievers?

How difficult is it to assemble the lower?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeldarb said:
I'd really like to spend somewhere around $600.

forgive me, but I don't even know what a milspec would be...

There are somany different configurations of uppers that I don't know what I should get...

p.s. Do the parts kit and the lower reciever need to be from the same manufacturer?

Are there different kinds of lower recievers?

How difficult is it to assemble the lower?
1 milspec is a basic fit thing. if its made to military specification that just means that all milspec stuff should fit milspec

2 the upper depends on what kind of rifle you want. most of it is barrel length.

3 i use dpms parts kits and stag and essential arms lowers. they work great. its part of that milspec thing.
4 some colt lowers use weird pin sizes so they need a different parts kit. stick to milspec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leeindy said:
1 milspec is a basic fit thing. if its made to military specification that just means that all milspec stuff should fit milspec

2 the upper depends on what kind of rifle you want. most of it is barrel length.

3 i use dpms parts kits and stag and essential arms lowers. they work great. its part of that milspec thing.
4 some colt lowers use weird pin sizes so they need a different parts kit. stick to milspec
Cool! Thanks thats a huge help.

You mentioned the rock river 2 stage trigger... Do you refer the Rock River or would a dpms 2 stage be just as good?

also, this being the first time i've tried anything like this, what sort of tools will I need, and where would you recomemd getting them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leeindy said:
http://model1sales.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=01&Subcat=16-inch C.A.R.&storeid=1

if you get one of these kits it comes with everything.

but i can get you links to all the indvidual parts and a good lower if youd like
I think i've got a good start... ofcourse any direction is greatly appreciated!

Essential arms stripped lower receiver - $80+SH & FFL fees (essentialarms.com)
Rock River parts kit w/o 2 stage trigger - $63.89+SH (ar15web.com)
or
Rock River parts kit w/2 stage trigger - $144.22+SH (ar15web.com)
or
DPMS parts kit w/o 2 stage trigger - $56.99+SH (midwayusa.com)

Still need to find a buttstock which isn't a problem
and
Still need to find a complete upper. I have some time for that one though. I've got plenty to do to get the lower half done! Again any direction on any of this esp. the complete upper, would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
341 Posts
You may want to save yourself the hassle and just buy a built lower. If you call around locally you should be able to find a complete lower for right around $200. Buying locally will save you $30-50 in shipping and FFL fees. Here is an Ameetec complete lower for $200. The 6 position stocks that Ameetec uses are the best stocks out there IMO.

As for the upper; you may want to consider spending just a little more on a better upper such as DPMS, Stag($400-450) or a step up from that to Bushmaster or Rock River ($450-500).

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there are lots of good uppers. the model 1s are not the best but they work for a plinker. and they get you under your budget.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you guy's think of M&A Parts? Have you ever dealt with (or even heard of) them? I ask because the sell complete upper kits similar to what i could get from model1sales.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeldarb said:
leeindy said:
there about middle pack. there stuff is pretty good.
Would you recommend them over model1 or are they about equal?
equal.

but thell last you along time if your just a plinker. if youre honestly looking to build a no frilles battle rifle then i would go with a better name.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well folks...I did it...I bought an AR lower yesterday, a bushmaster, and have ordered all the lower parts to complete the lower, I am building a 16 inch carbine with a collapsable stock...It might take my a while, cause I cant afford to buy all the parts at once..I figure it will take 3 or 4 months. I have been reading about it on the net and have the AGI video, it really does look totally do-able. I could have saved a little money going with a different reciever and different stock, but I'm not really trying to build the cheapest AR I can, Bushys are quaility, and I am after the satisfaction of 'doing it myself'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is great! I built this one from a Double Star lower and a Del-Ton kit. You should have not too many problems putting it together. It took me about 30 minutes. Of course the upper was already done, just had to put the lower together.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Got upper parts on the way. Just need a barrel, forearm, and sights. I doubt I get to buy anything next month. Peice by peice...Im thinking of going with an EGW compensator, the one that looks like the regular flash hider. Any one have experience with this one? I read a good review on it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Parts began to trickle in today. Got my forearm delivered, another package to arrive tomorrow. The barrel is on backorder, I ordered a 16 inch, dissapator barrel from bushmaster. The fellow on the phone said this election season has been making things very busy for them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts