National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

First post, I am in the market for an AR-15. I am really interested in the Colt Ar-15 LE6920, with a 1:7 twist. I want a rifle that is:

Very reliable
requires nominal maintenance
no frills
accurate
ideal for SHTF scenarios
<$1400.00

I would greatly appreciate any advice on a rifle that matches the above criteria, and/or if the Colt AR-15 6920 is a reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain rifle that meets the criteria above. Any personal experiences, good or bad, with the Colt AR-15 LE6920, or any Colt Ar-15, would also be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

EDIT: At present I own a Beretta 92a1, and a Glock 21, so I do have some familiarity with firearms. I shoot every so often, but as a dental student, it is hard to find time! :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Mind telling me how long you've had them and how many round(approximately) you've put through them?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The first I got used, about 4 years ago. Hard to say how much shooting was done with it

before i got it, but it came with the HBAR 5.56-1/7 barrel, and it was well taken care of.

The LE5920 I got new this year, I've put about 2000 rounds through each. I use them more for

hunting than just throwing rounds downrange.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
"The LE5920 I got new this year, I've put about 2000 rounds through each. I use them more for hunting than just throwing rounds downrange."

Huh........? You must not be too popular with the critters in your area, if there's any left, that is.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have the LE6920MPS the MagPul. The 6920 series are solid AR's made by a company that has a good rep and probably has made more AR's than anybody else.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
"The LE5920 I got new this year, I've put about 2000 rounds through each. I use them more for hunting than just throwing rounds downrange."

Huh........? You must not be too popular with the critters in your area, if there's any left, that is.
There's more "critters" here now, than when I got here. Between building wildlife habitat and beekeeping for pollination.

With the 5th rowing opening up the woods, all the "critters" can now get around.

As to shooting, I'm not in a race to see how much lead I can possibly pump downrange. But with changes in ammo,

you need to have range time for re-sighting. "this year" would be within the last 12 months, not since Jan 1.

How about you Steve? How do you like your Colt ARs? Because that's the title of the thread, not "let's nitpick

everybody else's posts"...

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
I don't need to own any AR's to wonder about someone stating they put over 2,000 rounds down two different AR's but it's mostly "hunting", not just range shooting. That's over 100 boxes per rifle. A lot of hunting then? Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I don't need to own any AR's to wonder about someone stating they put over 2,000 rounds down two different AR's but it's mostly "hunting", not just range shooting. That's over 100 boxes per rifle. A lot of hunting then? Nothing more than that.
Yeah, see the thread is about Colt ARs.

Not my personal habits. But I was out hunting 3 times today. I have my own range. I'm retired,
I live in the woods. Do what I want now. THAT's what you get to do after 50 years of doing what
everybody else wants. So I hunt, shoot, and fish a lot. On pretty much a daily basis, when I'm
not doing anything else. I certainly hope that's OK. OH CRAP! I broke the " only 5 boxes of ammo
per gun, per decade" law. Yanno, it was pretty much 65 boxes for one rifle, and 135 boxes for
the other. So I violated the "even ammo usage law", too! Better get the ammo police out here, right away!

OR, how about that TOPIC???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about one of these?
https://tbrci.com/

Pardon my ignorance Yosemeti Sam, I've never heard of this company. Based on a swift google search it seems to be a very new company?? ...I am a bit hesitant to spend near 1k on a rifle manufacturer whose rifles haven't been out long enough for anyone to comment on their long term reliability and durability...unless I am completely mistaken(very possible, I'm up studying for an exam!). Thanks!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Hi Everyone!

First post, I am in the market for an AR-15. I am really interested in the Colt Ar-15 LE6920, with a 1:7 twist. I want a rifle that is:

Very reliable
requires nominal maintenance
no frills
accurate
ideal for SHTF scenarios
<$1400.00

I would greatly appreciate any advice on a rifle that matches the above criteria, and/or if the Colt AR-15 6920 is a reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain rifle that meets the criteria above. Any personal experiences, good or bad, with the Colt AR-15 LE6920, or any Colt Ar-15, would also be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

EDIT: At present I own a Beretta 92a1, and a Glock 21, so I do have some familiarity with firearms. I shoot every so often, but as a dental student, it is hard to find time! :(
I can't speak too much about LE6920 as I have no experience with that model of AR, but I will say that your impulse for the 1:7 barrel is spot on. As you move out past the 100 yard line you can really see the difference between the 1;7 and the 1:9 Especially if you are using bullets heavier than the standard 55gr.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Pardon my ignorance Yosemeti Sam, I've never heard of this company. Based on a swift google search it seems to be a very new company?? ...I am a bit hesitant to spend near 1k on a rifle manufacturer whose rifles haven't been out long enough for anyone to comment on their long term reliability and durability...unless I am completely mistaken(very possible, I'm up studying for an exam!). Thanks!
That's why I suggested it! Someone has to be the test subject. I don't know anything about them. I recently just learned of them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This sounds like a Colt advertisement. You really can't go wrong getting the 6920, Colt's been making the AR style for 53 years. I think for the money the Colt 6920 is one of the best buys for an AR. I don't say this because I have one, I have one because I think they are the best buy for the money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This sounds like a Colt advertisement. You really can't go wrong getting the 6920, Colt's been making the AR style for 53 years. I think for the money the Colt 6920 is one of the best buys for an AR. I don't say this because I have one, I have one because I think they are the best buy for the money.
Glad to hear my research seems to be on the right track with many of your fine, better informed members affirming what I have read. Any ideas on where to get one at a reasonable price? I've looked at Buds, Tombstone Tactical, and some others For reference, I'm located in Philadelphia, near Center City. Also, any tips on what specs I should look for in it? I know a 1:7 twist, but what is meant by "mag-pul" and "flat top"? I want to be able to add sights to it, ideally a suppressor at some point as well...Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Mag-pul is a performance accessories company. Like "Pioneer" or "Blaupunkt" to car stereo.

They sell magazines, stocks, and the like. For instance, the Magpul ACS stock is good for

folks who need a longer length of pull.

A "flat-top' refers to an AR upper with a rail which will readily take a scope.

Be sure your barrel is marked for 5.56 caliber, then it will readily shoot 5.56 or .223

safely.

And consider that S&W has some ARs for under 700$. Probably not a bad place to start,

for your first AR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for that info, therewolf. Can the flat top also readily take a red-dot sight or laser?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts