National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fired my first 1911, and now I must have one. I just want a simple, reliable basic 1911. So far people have suggested the Colt 1991A1. I would like some imput from the people in this forum. I won't be using the gun for CCW. It will be primarily a target and home defense gun.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Take your time, research your options, and pick one from a trusted company. 1911's can be a dream to shoot or a nightmare. Colt, Springfield, Kimber, on and on....you have many choices..I realy like the looks of the new Sig Saur 1911"s. For target activities your gonna want one with a 5 inch barrell and adjustable sights.....Oh and Welcome to the Brotherhood

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cheapest one on the market are the Rock Island standard GI issue 1911 A1. I have the A1 tactical and love it so I would go hop all over it if you find a good deal. It runs about $388 new in box

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
red-rider said:
Take your time, research your options, and pick one from a trusted company. 1911's can be a dream to shoot or a nightmare. Colt, Springfield, Kimber, on and on....you have many choices..I realy like the looks of the new Sig Saur 1911"s. For target activities your gonna want one with a 5 inch barrell and adjustable sights.....Oh and Welcome to the Brotherhood
+1 Do your research. I have my service M1911 A1 so I can recommend Colt but I would rent and test fire any that you are interested in and see which fit your hand best and you are the most comfortable with firing. I am looking at Kimber, Springfield and Rock Island for a basic model 1911. I have tested both a Kimber and Springfield. Both were good shooters.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Springfield Armory make several good 1911's. If cost is a concern, check out Rock Island Armory (RIA),High Standard & the Taurus PT1911. I have heard good things about STI's Trogan 1911, but haven't seen or fired one yet. Remember after you get your first 1911, the second one is close behind! :-B-:

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for the Colt M1991A1. I have one and it has proven to be a very reliable pistol. It will shoot some pretty nasty out of spec rounds without a problem. I also recommend Springfield or Kimber; they are both great brands but might be a little more finicky with ammo.

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the colts, but you will pay out the ass for one nowadays, for a beginner you want something inexpensive so if they scratch it up it is not a big deal. I know when I was learning to take apart, clean and reassemble my first 1911 I dinged it up quite abit.
and Rock Island fits that profile perfectly :)

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
kyle93 said:
I recently fired my first 1911, and now I must have one. I just want a simple, reliable basic 1911. So far people have suggested the Colt 1991A1. I would like some imput from the people in this forum. I won't be using the gun for CCW. It will be primarily a target and home defense gun.
When ever a fellow ask me about a 1911 I recommend the Springfield Mil-Spec. They are a good gun out of the box that you don't have to sell one of your kids to own. They are a good base gun for a build and you can add all the bells and whistles when you get ready. You said your going to use it for a range gun and it may surprise you when you are hitting the target as good as the guy next to you with his $2500 custom. I know a lot of guys that are happy with theirs. Good luck. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kyle93 said:

sti spartan is the best deal out there.

read about mine here. lots of videos. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45606

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would have to reccomend even the GI model springfield. they are great out of the box and less then 500 bucks at the right shop. They can be modified to almost any level and are a load of fun to shoot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes shoot many different mfg if you can.. my first 1911 was a kimber and i had some problems with it i had to send it back to kimber and was without my gun for like 6 weeks but i love it now. i hear good things about the colt--- how much are you wanting to spend? i would buy another kimber actually the new SIS model. what other guns do you like shooting now?

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
yes shoot many different mfg if you can.. my first 1911 was a kimber and i had some problems with it i had to send it back to kimber and was without my gun for like 6 weeks but i love it now. i hear good things about the colt--- how much are you wanting to spend? i would buy another kimber actually the new SIS model. what other guns do you like shooting now?

DUDE! You're sure dredging up some old threads....... This one is almost 2 years old and I'm sure he's made up his mind already! :wink:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unless he was hanging on in quiet desperation for suggestions. It's hard to say. I'm looking into a 1911 too, and I'm not sure which one I want. If you guys don't help it will be another 2 years before I can buy one!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm serious! S9, just tell me to get the Kimber so I can quit ripping my hair out!

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Go get the Kimber!

Seriously, which one are you looking at?!?! No matter though, they're all FINE handguns and I'd have any of them. I love my Pro TLE II and it's set me on that path to 1911 obsession.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Since it would be the first 1911, and I still consider myself new to this I'm weighing options. One thought is to get a basic one to start and work on building it up with the beaver tail, hammer, and trigger over time. If I go that way I am looking at a Springfield, but their basic models only come in the 5" barrel and I think I may prefer a 3" or 4".

The other is to do the whole instant gratification and get something like the Kimber. I'm leaning toward a pro size, probably the pro carry II, but their website seems to be designed to make me drool. Every time I look, I think "just save a little longer, get the CDP"

Guess I just need to make up my mind. *shrug*

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Yup! That Kimber site can really suck you in...........

Another one I have my beady little eye on, is the Springfield TRP. Might get that one next, but then I also like the other Kimbers. I get what you're saying - choices, choices! :biggrin:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yup, yup. I won't really know until I shoot one. I think the local range has a couple Kimbers for rent, so we'll see what happens Sunday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts