National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I was doing research on firearms safety, difference in calibers, what recoil feels like, etc.

And then it hit me, why isn't there a page that beginners can visit and have most(if not all) of there questions answered. Because there is so many members, with so much firearms experience, I figured, why not start here. So feel free to share the following;

Anything that you think people with minimal experience with firearms will find useful

Good links to buy/sell websites, beginner's guide, anything that you deem helpfull(keep it PG).

Tips for buying, selling, shooting, shooting competition, products brands that you recommend, YouTube, etc.

Any good tips, guides, websites, etc are welcome. Give a helping hand to new shooters or more experienced shooters who are interested in this.

You guys have so much experience with shooting and I think we can all help them!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
They have been posted here many times before in many different ways but still I don't think any one will object if I post them again.

What I am about to post is the most important things and new shooter can learn and the most important things old shooters can do. Of all the expertise available on this site this is far in a way the most important.

1. All firearms are loaded all the time. There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Always treat every firearm like the loaded gun that it is.

2. Never point the muzzle of a fire arm at anything you do not want to shoot. Since all guns are loaded all the time a bullet can come out of the muzzle of any gun at anytime. Always be aware of where the muzzle is pointed and know where that bullet is going to go. When the hammer falls you can not call it back so be aware at all times what is going to be hit.

3. Until you are ready to fire your firearm keep your finger off the trigger. Do not put your finger on the trigger until you have a target and have pointed the muzzle at the target and are ready to discharge your fire arm.

4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond and around your target.

These are the Four Cardinal Rules of Gun Safety. If you live these rules all the time every time you are even near a firearm you will enjoy the shooting sports for years and years. If you ignore them you are a tragedy looking for a place to happen. If you are on the range beside me and not living these four rules I will not hesitate to ream you a new one for it before I leave the area where you are. Do not tolerate anyone who behaves stupidly with a fire arm.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
What Is A gun Cartridge?

A cartridge (also called a round of ammunition) is the completed product consisting of a metalcasing(usually brass), gunpowder, primer and bullet or shot for small firearms. Cartridges are sized and made to fit precisely into the firing chamber of a gun.

Cartr9mmLuger.png 9mm Cartridge

A bullet casing or case is the metal cylindrical container portion of a cartridge (round of ammunition) that contains a bullet, gunpowder and primer Bullet casings are usually made of brass and are sized and shaped in accordance with the caliber and weapon used.

Bullet casing and the primer is seated at the bottom (in the center where the lettering is)

With regard to firearms, a primer is a device used for containing an explosive shock sensitive compound that may be exploded by percussion or other means for the purpose of igniting a charge of gun powder.

Boxer-vs.-Berdan-primers-comparison-1.jpg
Fired_rimfire_and_centerfire_casings.jpg
Left: Rimfire Right: Centerfire

Have a good cigar and regard
ARMARIN

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
a magazine is something you read. A clip is what holds your tie in place.

Sorry feeling SA this morning.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Simple Ballistics

1) Grain:

It is important to remember that the word "grains" refers to weight when it is used to describe modern firearm ammunition. It is an extremely small unit of measurement, with 437.5 grains equaling one ounce. (Or 7,000 grains equals one pound, if you prefer.) This small unit of measurement is used because firearms are precision instruments, and the ammo they use must also be made to extremely close tolerances.

The markings on the boxes of ammo referred to the weight of the bullet alone. For each popular caliber, the ammo manufacturers offer a variety of different bullet weights, bullet shapes, and even what material the bullet is made of. This can be rather confusing at times.

Another source of confusion is the fact that different manufacturers might offer cartridges that use the same type of bullet, but each company usually likes to load different amounts of powder. This means that rounds with different brand names might have the same bullet info on the box, but you will find that they shoot different when you try them out.

Speaking in the broadest possible way, lighter bullets tend to be more accurate at short and medium range because they move faster coming out of the gun and have a flatter trajectory so it is easier to aim precisely. They tend to lose their speed relatively quickly, so they will also hit downrange targets with less force than heavier bullets.

Those heavier bullets are trickier to get precise shots at medium range, but air resistence will effect them less than their lighter brethren. They will retain more speed. over longer distances, and so will hit distant targets with greater force.

2)Muzzel velocity:

A gun's muzzle velocity is the speed at which the projectile leaves the muzzle of the gun. Muzzle velocities range from subsonic (below 330 m/s / ~1080 ft/s) for some pistols to more than 1,800 m/s (~5910 ft/s) for tank guns firing kinetic energy penetrator ammunition. The latter velocity is close to the limit achievable with chemical propellants. The velocity of a projectile is highest at the muzzle and drops off steadily because of air resistance.

In conventional guns, muzzle velocity is determined by the quality (burn speed, expansion) and quantity of the propellant, the mass of the projectile, and the length of the barrel. A slower burning propellant needs a longer barrel to burn completely, but can on the other hand use a heavier projectile. A faster burning propellant may accelerate a lighter projectile to higher speeds if the same amount of propellant is used. In a gun, the pressure resulting from the combustion process is a limiting factor on projectile velocity. A balance between propellant quality and quantity, projectile mass and barrel length must be found if both safety and optimal performance is to be achieved.

Longer barrels give the propellant force more time to work on propelling the bullet. For this reason longer barrels generally provide higher velocities, everything else being equal. As the bullet moves down the bore, however, the propellant's gas pressure behind it diminishes. Given a long enough barrel, there would eventually be a point at which friction between the bullet and the barrel, and air resistance, would equal the force of the gas pressure behind it, and from that point, the velocity of the bullet would decrease.

3): Ballistic Coefficent:

In ballistics the ballistic coefficient (BC) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. It is inversely proportional to the deceleration–a high number indicates a low deceleration. BC is a function of mass, diameter, and drag coefficient.

Have a good cigar and regards
ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Corrosive ammo

Corrosive ammo means that when you fire it in your weapon, the residue of the burnt podwer causes rusing of your barell, firing pin, and all other parts coming in contact with that. amo getting rusty itself in no way makes it corrosive.

If any of you end up with corrosive ammo, just ensure that after you are done shooting, spray your gun barrel and chamber area with mixture of water and ammonia ( windex or ammonia based glass and window cleaner is best) until you reach back home, then properly clean and lube it. Water and ammonia based mixture neutralizes the corrosive salts for 8-10 hours and delays its chemical reaction bringing salt to the surface.

ARMARIN

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Defensive shooting is not intuitive. It is something that has to be learned and practiced.

The most important element of defensive shooting is shooting while moving. This takes time and practice to learn to do. You have to walk in a way that keeps you upper body still. When moving toward or away from your target you want to walk heal toe or toe heal. When moving laterally to your target take side steps but do not allow your feet to get close to each other. Always keep balance. Do not cross your legs while moving laterally and stay square to the target.

This important tactic is very easy to practice using a laser pointer and a bucket in your garage or living room. Place the bucket in the center of the floor. Pick a point on the wall and holding your hands as if you were holding a gun point the laser pointer at that spot. Keep your knees bent and your weight on the balls of your feet. Take an aggressive stance leaning slightly forward. Now walk around the bucket while holding the laser spot on the target and keeping your self square to the target. Sounds easy?..... Wait till you try it. Don't get discouraged... It can be done.

Getting to cover is not always going to be an option. Moving targets are much harder to hit. Moving targets that are shooting back at you in a controlled and disciplined manner are very hard to hit.

In a defensive shooting situation you can expect to perform at a maximum of 10% of your best day ever at the range. Your body will be flooded with adrenalin this completely destroys your small motor controls. These are the muscles you use to aim your firearm. You survive a gun fight the same way you get to Carnegie Hall... Practice... Practice... Practice!!!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Muscle memory is not a memory stored in your muscles, of course, but memories stored in your brain that are much like a cache of frequently enacted tasks for your muscles. It's a form of procedural memory that can help you become very good at something through repetition, but in exactly the same way it can make you absolutely terrible at that same thing.
How Muscle Memory Works and How It Affects Your Success

So a person must find a correct technique then repeat it many times to get it imprinted.
Western Ohio Personal Safety/Firearm Training Group
Muscle Memory - Home Defense Gun

Reactions: ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Revolver Vs. Pistol

Reliability:

Hands down the innate simplicity of the revolver design makes it vastly superior to the pistol in the reliability department.
No worries about faulty magazines, followers, spring pressure. No FTE issues or feeding problems. Broken ejectors or worries about which ammo the pistol ‘likes’ FMJ or JHP or any specific brand.
With a wheel gun “you” decide what ammo type U like not the gun! You may load semi-wadcutters and she will not complain.
Even if there is a failure to fire the shooter does not have to take ‘time out’ in a gun fight and clear the dud round manually. With a revolver he simply continues shooting.

Simplicity

For a newbie to the fire arms world i almost always recommond a wheel gun over a pistol. its far more simpler to operate then a pistol

Choice:

The .357magnum can also fire the .38 spacial. My .32 S&W long can do .32 s&w short and in a pinch even .32 acp ( A pistol round) However I can just imagine stuffing my .32 revolver round in the .32 pistol! Boom if I ever were able to stuff it inside the gun!

Safety:

IMHO one of the most crucial differences between the wheel gun and the pistol is that the pistol cycles a fresh round “after” it has been fired. While the revolver completes its cycle “before” discharge.
How does it affect the safety of the weapon?

Well. The safest way to carry a firearm is condition 3 or chamber empty. Unfortunately if the stuff hits the fan. All you have to pull the trigger on a pistol suddenly all u get is a click.. U can go on clicking ad infinitum. Untill you charge the weapon manually u wont get anywhere.
However, with a wheel gun even when there is an empty chamber under the hammer when you squeeze the trigger the piece will fire. The rotary mechanism will ensure there is a fresh round whenever the trigger is pulled.

Quantity vs. size:

The size of a pistol round is limited to the size of the grip. It is possible to stuff a .357magnum round in a desert eagle, but you would have to be a giant to conceal it let alone fire it comfortably.. if u have normal sized hands that is. It is a huge, heavy chunk of metal.
A titanium 7 shot .357 magnum Taurus snubbie can easily be dropped in an ankle holster and the owner will barely feel it is there!
Besides, the chances are if you cant do something with 7 or 8 .357 magnum rounds, you probably wont get a chance to do with 17 9mm rounds either.

The two big advantages a pistol has over a revolver is ammo capacity and ease of reloading. Also, if you tend to be finicky over safeties, pistols actually offer a better variety of options to choose from (SAO, safety, safe trigger, decocker, firing pin block, etc). Pistols, in general, also tend to be thinner than revolvers, making them less conspicuous while CC-ing.

Ease of handling:

I have used both as my EDC. But I found the task of unloading the chamber every time I came back home and then re-stuffing the 17th round back in the magazine, odious at best. I stopped abusing my thumb nail and simply shifted to my revolver. I also don’t have to worry about spring fatigue anymore.

More tolerance for different gripping styles

i have yet to see a wheel gun fail to fire/extract due to limp wristing or injuring a thumb or fingers because the shooter allowed it to hover close to the slide.

(I made such an error once and am lucky my thumb is intact)

Security

It also does not leave 'calling' cards behind on the scene of an incident. I like my brass with me not strewn all over the road.

you get what u are promised

one more edge a revolver has over pistol, in revolvers you get exact barrel length you are promised with same length of rifling not like pistols where length of chamber (a feed ramp as well in CZ's case) is deducted from advertised barrel length

There was an incident when me and my friends were driving back from a very big gun deal and on the way back on the Mauripur road we saw a bunch of moter bikers following us. I immediately charged my 9mm pistol… Or tried to at any rate. I fumbled and the slide got stuck half way. It took me a good 10 minutes to clear the jam. Luckily for me my friends and our money bags the bikers were just a bunch of kids coming back from the beach. But I learnt my lesson that day. From that day I am carying a .38 Colt detective special revolver.

ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
What does "NIB" mean?

NIB = New in Box

The gun is brand new, comes packed & sealed.

ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
What does Rail mean?

Yes. Rails are attachment slots in a gun where flash lights, red dot lasers, and other accessories can be attached. Typically, in a pistol, the rails are just beneath the muzzle.

ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
can snap caps be used as first round

can snap caps be used as first round in the magazine as an added layer of safety? 9 mm para rounds and the top round a snap cap? (snap cap = dummy round for practice with moving fake primer)

Yeah they can, but what actual purpose would the snap cap serve? If you carry unchambered, then your gun will NEVER fire off a round unless & until you rack the slide atleast once and chamber a round, no matter how many times you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. If you carry chambered and want greater safety, then simply use the external safety, or keep the hammer down (in case of a DA/SA or SA gun).

Snap caps eject out?
No they don't Ejection ONLY happens when the slide goes into recoil. What happens is that the there's a little "hook" at the end of the extractor (which is attached to the slide) which snags on to the edge of the casing of the round when it's chambered. When the shot is fired, the slide goes into recoil, and as the slide moves rearward, it pulls the spent casing along with it until it reaches the ejection port and is thrown out.

Since a snap cap is a dummy round, hence it can't go off and the slide cannot go into recoil. Hence a snap cap is not ejected when you pull the trigger. You can, however, manually eject a chambered snap cap by manually racking the slide. Infact, doing so is an excellent way to see how the extractor actually works and how the next round is fed from the magazine and fed into the chamber.
ARMARIN

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Failure to Feed

Failure to Feed is a malfunction in a pistol where the fresh round from the magazine does not feed properly into the chamber. This usually happens because either the magazine isn't seated in the gun properly, and rarely when the gun is out of battery (i.e. the slide has not come all the way forward after going into recoil after a shot has been fired). To fix this malfunction, tap bottom of the magazine firmly to ensure that it's seated in the magazine well properly, and rack the slide to ensure that it goes back into battery.

This method is popularly known as the "Tap & Rack", and is also used to fix a Failure to Fire.

ARMARIN

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
+1

+1 Gun

When your looking at the specs of the gun and it says

Capacity: X+1 (X= any number)

This means:

You can keep 1 round in the chamber and X rounds in the magazine.

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eyes And Ears

When you are about to go into the range it is common for people to say "you need eyes and ears." This simply means you need eye protection and ear protection for the following reasons.

Eyes:
Eye protection it for, obviously, keeping your eyes safe. It keeps your eyes safe from debris and shell casings.

Ears:
Guns let off a loud enough sound to do hearing damage. So the ears don't mute the sound completely but do muffle the sound and make it tolerable to listen to for multiple hours.

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trigger Pull

Trigger Pull

Trigger pull is simply how many pounds of force you need to put on the trigger in order to discharge the weapon.

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,161 Posts
Obey the law – Learn your state laws regarding gun ownership, concealed carry, and the use of deadly force. The best source is an attorney familiar with firearms and self-defense laws in your state. If you can’t find an appropriate attorney look for a “Firearms FAQ” at the websites for your state Attorney General’s office, State Police, the agency that issued your concealed carry permit or Handgunlaw.us for answers to common questions. Be careful before taking advice from web forums. In general, you are less likely to get in trouble if you follow the more conservative advice as to what is legal in your area than if you listen to the more “permissive” advice as to where you can, and can’t, carry, etc. Again, the best source is an attorney familiar with the laws in your state.

Be responsible – You now have the ability to take a human life and you need to treat that responsibility seriously. A mistake can cost the life an innocent person, your own freedom, everything you’ve ever worked for, or possibly your own life. The use of deadly force is the last resort to save your own life or the life of an innocent person.

Be non-confrontational - By carrying a gun you give up your right to take offense at other people’s actions, as you cannot control where it might lead. This means you can’t offer to “take it outside” if someone picks a fight in a bar, that you have to grin and bear it if someone insults you or your family in public, and that you have to avoid any potential “road rage” encounters in traffic. Just making a rude gesture to someone who cut you off on the road can cause a confrontation. Understand that any physical confrontation can escalate until you wind up using that firearm. Your gun is only for defending your life, not defending your honor.
The law takes a very dim view of any "self defense" claim if you did anything to start, prolong, or escalate the confrontation. This is true even in areas with so-called "stand your ground" laws. If you started it, escalated it, or had a chance to (safely) disengage and leave, and didn't, don't expect those laws to shield you nearly as much as you think they will. The concept of “mutual combat” often applies.

Don’t drink and carry - Alcohol and firearms don’t mix. If you have your gun, don’t drink. If you want to drink, don’t carry. Alcohol impairs your judgment and bad decisions made while carrying a gun can have tragic consequences. If you have any alcohol in your blood, and you use your firearm in self-defense, the prosecutor will take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to press changes. And, if it gets that far, the jury in any criminal or civil case will also consider the fact you were drinking when deciding whether to convict you or award damages against you.

Get trained – Most state-mandated training classes to obtain a carry license are very basic. Don’t believe that just because you passed your state’s required class you are ready to carry a gun. Seek out additional practical defensive pistol training to ensure you can effectively use your firearm to defend yourself without putting others at risk.

Routine maintenance - Make sure your firearm is properly cleaned, oiled and in good working condition at all times. Being lazy or too busy to maintain your firearm may cause a failure when you need your firearm the most. If you have any problem with your firearm, have it checked by an experience gunsmith.

Stay alert
– The concept behind Jeff Cooper’s “Color Codes” and the NRA “Levels of Awareness” is that you always need to be alert for potential threats and be ready to escalate your defensive response. Be aware of your surroundings and look for potential sources of danger. The best way to win a fight is to avoid it in the first place. And, if you can’t avoid it, recognizing the danger before it happens gives you a better chance to fight back.

Never give up – Understand that if you need your firearm, you are fighting for your life. Keep fighting no matter what until you prevail. If you run out of ammo, reload. If your gun jams, fix it. If that won’t work, do something else. Do whatever you need to do to protect your life from the attacker. Remember, if you give up, he wins.

Factory ammunition - Only use factory ammunition designed for your firearm. "Hot loads" may exceed the tolerance levels of your firearm, resulting a catastrophic failure of the firearm, possible personal injury or death.

Reactions: Siplace
1 - 20 of 71 Posts