National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Ralph
173 Posts
Hello Alan
I am a NY State hunter safety instructor for almost 20 years.
Your advice is right on target.
However I would like to add to your "crossing a fence part" -
As you stated unload your firearm, lay the firearm down - AND - place your hat or glove, something under the muzzle of the firearm to prevent any foreign matter from getting in your barrel.
When I hunt I always put a small piece of scotch tape over the muzzle. It does not effect the bullet in any way as far as I could tell. I have experimented this on my bench with shot gun slugs, and at least 20 different rifle calibers and could not see any change in my groups.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO CHIME IN WITH ONE MORE PIECE OF ADVICE TO ALL NEW GUN OWNERS AND ANYONE WHO OWNS A FIREARM, EVEN IF YOU DON'T HUNT, TAKE THE HUNTERS SAFETY CLASS YOUR STATE OFFERS. THE WORST THING THAT WILL HAPPEN IS THAT YOU WILL LEARN SOMETHING.

As I stated I have been teaching the hunters safety course for almost 20 years, when I get students under 16, I have them accompanied with a parent or adult over 21. I ask them to also take the course, they are there an so why not.
Almost every time at least one of them tell me that they learned something, and often I also learn something from the other experienced hunters that take the course.

Good job Alan, You may have saved a life with your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. They are the guns that accidently go off and kill people every year. Treat them like they are loaded even if the bolt is on the table. Seem like overkill... no such thing in gun safety....... thanks for all on logical intelligent thoughts on this subject. I would hunt with you guys anytime.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I know of a Guy, older guy at the time back in the late 90's that had been around firearms his whole life. this guy wasn't stupid either, he was out deer hunting with his buddies and as everybody returned to the truck for a break he put his rifle inside the bed of the truck leaned up against the side with his muzzle pointed straight up in the air, when he grabbed the tailgate to hoist himself up to sit on the tailgate the truck moved up and down an the gun fell forward and discharge hitting a main artery in his leg, he died in back of the pick-up. it was a sad day and goes to show what can happen. don't recall what kind of rife it was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have little news from SA that has relevance to this topic, as firearm safe should count for air guns as well.

This Christmas past a father got his son an air rifle as a Christmas gift. They shot a few rounds with it and removed the magazine, but never checked the chamber.
The younger sister (10 years old) later picked up the air rifle and pressed the trigger, the round entered her mothers chest and hit the main artery of the heart. The mother died on her way to hospital.

This has shocked me as I realized how easily an accident can happen and that all the rules at shooting competitions and ranges are there for a reason and not just to make your life difficult.

Hope you guy the best for 2014 and stay safe.

·
Dr. of Loadology
15,424 Posts
Is there any documentation regarding this incident? I will share this if it can be confirmed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi gunrnr, here is a link to the article.

10-year-old accidentally kills mom with air rifle | News24

The more in depth detail I gave came from direct family members that is on another forum I belong to, but that is in Afrikaans and would be a bit difficult to understand... unless you know some dutch :)

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,011 Posts
* In crowded areas, like gun shows, there is absolutely no reason what so ever to aim a firearm at anything other than the floor. If you do, you will at some point cause or allow the muzzle to cover something that doesn't need to have a hole in it. Obviously fit and feel are important. A gun show is not the place to figure this out.
The only thing I don't do is this. In crowded areas, like gun shows or LGS, I aim at or near the ceiling. For two reasons ..... First, I'm 6'3" so if I aim at the floor and it's crowded I could accidentally sweep someone's lower leg area, especially if they step into the line of fire. Second, most gun shows or LGS have concrete floors, if everything else fails and a round is discharged into the floor, it will most likely ricochet back up and injure or kill a bystander.

Thanks to Alan for posting this. Safety can never be over emphasized. thumbup.gif

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Great post...I had a ruger 44 mag carbine that I really liked. I got rid of it because it was hard to tell if there were any bullets in the tube. I knew it was unloaded but.....

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,185 Posts
This is what we get hammered with in out Canadian firearm safety classes. This has to be burnt in your mind and has to become muscle memory every time you touch a firearm or you will fail. Sadly some of us tend to forget about it.

PROVE it safe:

Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges if any.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path
Examine the bore for obstructions

Edit:
Of course it doesn't apply for any kind of carry or home defence but it always apply when handling or cleaning a firearm

·
Registered
280 Posts
Firearm safety...The safest gun I own is a Browning BT-99. If the action is closed it is OFF safe and ready to fire. If the action is open it is ON safe and not ready to fire.

The other day I posted about a shooting accident that closed a Trap range ( along with drinking at the range ). The accident was caused by a " clouded " mind and using the same shooting jacket for 12s and 20s. Winchester 101 12ga. loaded with a 20ga. followed by a 12ga. The shooter had a few drinks while playing cards in the club house. He was on the Trap line and reached into his shell pocket and loaded the 20ga. shell. When it came time for him to shoot he looked down and saw no shell in the gun. He then loaded a 12ga. The gun blew up and broke his arm also wounding the people on each side of him. All required surgery...

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
...The shooter had a few drinks ...
2015. People still think it's okay to "have a few drinks" and drive, shoot, boat, whatever… There are a few activities that one can engage in after having a few drinks in which the principles and those around them are not in some degree of danger. Personally, and not just because I do not drink at all, I cannot imagine any establishment allowing access to firearms after alcohol. That's just stupid.

Alan

·
Registered
348 Posts
2015. People still think it's okay to "have a few drinks" and drive, shoot, boat, whatever… There are a few activities that one can engage in after having a few drinks in which the principles and those around them are not in some degree of danger. Personally, and not just because I do not drink at all, I cannot imagine any establishment allowing access to firearms after alcohol. That's just stupid.

Alan
I totally agree with you; I won't even go to a restaurant and order food cooked with wine because I conceal carry...

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Firearms and alcohol, like automobiles and alcohol, do not mix well.

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Alcohol has its uses and it is very good for those uses. Once I decided to get out of the boat and wade into a pond where I thought I could see redfish tailing. I found no redfish but got off into an oyster bed with my bare feet. For those unfamiliar, it's like walking on ragged glass. I did get back to the boat and when I got back to the ramp I poured isopropyl alcohol on the bottom of my feet and scrubbed them with an old toothbrush. I have pulled my own tooth once and I have done that once. I'll opt for the tooth if given the choice again. That hurt as much as anything I have ever experienced. My feet didn't get infected either.

So, alcohol has its uses.

Alan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Harvey's Trap Club near Carson City, NV was a beautiful shooting club...very high end. They had a very large bar that over looked the Trap / Skeet ranges. Super good food in the restaurant as well. Any member that went into the bar was finished shooting for the day. Your shotgun was held in the club house armory by the Range Master's assistants. If you had more than a few drinks the cub limo would take you home.

I am always appalled by the people that think they know their drinking limit. The man that blew up that beautiful Winchester 101 and wounded two of his friends still feels bad about his error.

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A person can be a functioning alcoholic and be perfectly normal in every way after one drink. An accident with any alcohol in your system at all is not an accident.

Alan

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,185 Posts
Harvey's Trap Club near Carson City, NV was a beautiful shooting club...very high end. They had a very large bar that over looked the Trap / Skeet ranges. Super good food in the restaurant as well. Any member that went into the bar was finished shooting for the day. Your shotgun was held in the club house armory by the Range Master's assistants. If you had more than a few drinks the cub limo would take you home.

I am always appalled by the people that think they know their drinking limit. The man that blew up that beautiful Winchester 101 and wounded two of his friends still feels bad about his error.
This is the one i go to the rifle and handgun range is on top of the picture another indoor handgun range is at the bottom (not shown) not a drop of alcohol is served there and if you're caught with some you're out... permanently

21 - 40 of 42 Posts