National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a GOOD Western, right out of the past - the way they USED to make westerns ... although, sadly they just HAD to make 'ricochet  sparks' when lead hit iron (how silly)!

BUT the REST was GREAT - I especially enjoyed the co-main character, the rancher, carrying a Spencer Carbine - .50-56 (the M1865) - an awesome Civil War repeater (lever action) that could can hold 7 rounds in a butt tube. We have a repro one and it's deadly - and leaves a huge (50cal.)hole ... noticeablly much larger than .44's and .45's!

... at the end they actually mentioned, and briefly showed, Smith & Wesson Schofields! .... it just don't get no better than THAT for an old western history buff (me)!

Most folks don't know about how popular the Spencer Carbine was in the post Civil War period - it was used as a very popular saddle carbine in the taming of the west and some even say it far surpassed the Winchesters in getting meat/providing protection for the pioneers. Ammo for the .50-56 was discontinued at the end of 1919 ... a true mechanical war hero/wild west (still being used through the Indian War(s) )hero, of a carbine, faded into American history!
:-B-:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes that rife was featured in Clint's movie the Unforgiven too.
Quite popular back when.
I have not seen the new 3:10 yet but I have the original on DVD.
Just curious, what's that repo worth. Not that many of us, or any of us need another toy!

·
Registered
761 Posts
zipperzap said:
I have not seen the new 3:10 yet but I have the original on DVD.

I give it five thumbs up!
:D

Unless living in SoCal for so many years has mutated you, I seriously doubt you have 5 thumbs, Zip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gale says I'm ALL thumbs in the bedroom - that'd be TEN!

I always keep one hand in my pocket, in public - it's
embarrassing! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you're a reloader ... don't wait too long. I've had folks walk 50 years to ask to shoot it -
it's a great 'friend-maker!'
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts