National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been interested in the Stag Arms ARs made for lefties since I heard about them. Mine arrived today. I'll follow up with a range report after I get a chance to shoot 'er.

The controls are not different from a standard AR, except for the ambi safety. The bolt release and mag release are standard. That's fine for me -- years of muscle memory allow me to work those as well as any backwards-handed bloke. The bolt carrier group and the upper receiver, of course, are mirror images of a standard AR. The lower receiver is standard, as is the stock.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Good looking rifle for sure Mr Gunrnr. What kind of load are you going to use? I am going to be loading for 55gr SCJ bullet with 24grs of Accurate 2230 at 2.230 OAL. Just trying to see where I am at. Good luck. :---

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Baldy -- I usually keep it between 2950 - 3100 fps. Keeps 'em all in the same ballpark. I only use the AR for bunnies and baddies, anyway. Practice on the bunnies...ready for the baddies.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nice looking gun, I am also left handed but I shoot right handed. I always have, didn't learn to shoot right handed for any particular reason just felt right.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brandonsuperglide said:
Nice looking gun, I am also left handed but I shoot right handed. I always have, didn't learn to shoot right handed for any particular reason just felt right.
I've seen that many times as an instructor. I bat "right-handed" because it feels right. Many shooters who have a master eye opposite of their dominant side either shoot or should shoot with their non-dominant hand. The eye has much more to do with accuracy than the hand, if you think about it. It's far easier to train the muscles than the eye. I have also seen cases where a shooter who has been shooting left or right for umpteen years needs to change to the opposite side due to the master eye becoming either weak or diseased. This is just another sad fact of aging. I know that it's difficult to do, but many dedicated shooters would sooner switch than give up shooting.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to the family, Rick.

I'm curious to see if you can retrian youself after so much shooting the other way.

I guess you are too, huh?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was dry firing it today and I really don't see a problem, yet. The only thing missing should be the brass down my collar. As I said, the controls are the same except I will try to get accustomed to using the ambi safety, and if I don't it's no big deal.

Loading/unloading, chambering, selecting are no different from a standard AR. The charging handle is identical. The way I grip the rifle doesn't need to change since I never got close to the ejection port when it was on the right and still won't with it on the left. It just looks flippin' WEIRD, that's all!

·
Registered
811 Posts
gunrnr said:
brandonsuperglide said:
I've seen that many times as an instructor. I bat "right-handed" because it feels right. Many shooters who have a master eye opposite of their dominant side either shoot or should shoot with their non-dominant hand. The eye has much more to do with accuracy than the hand, if you think about it. It's far easier to train the muscles than the eye. I have also seen cases where a shooter who has been shooting left or right for umpteen years needs to change to the opposite side due to the master eye becoming either weak or diseased. This is just another sad fact of aging. I know that it's difficult to do, but many dedicated shooters would sooner switch than give up shooting.

Exactly, I am right eye dominant.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Right nice rifle there gunrnr. I wonder if the left handed version goes up in value faster than the right handed version or if its the opposite? :?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts