National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my digital Foid Ecard so they can process my background check so I can pickup all the range toys they've been holding for me. I have the MAC ACII 1911, the Kimber Raptor 1911, the Kimber Rapide Black Ice 1911, the Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 and the Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited all being picked up at the same time. Going to be a fun week next week. I seriously doubt the Dan Wesson will make it by Friday afternoon. Maybe by Tuesday if lucky.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After missing this gun in two auctions, I finally won one. $1200_ taxes and fee brought it to $1315. Still cheaper than anything I've seen retail. Id like to have the Pointman 45 but this is what's available. I am sure I will be pleased. Paid for, now we wait...

View attachment 139201
I have that exact model in 10mm. Impressive piece

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked it up this afternoon.
Air gun Wood Everyday carry Trigger Gun barrel

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Everyday carry

First impression was that it is nice and hefty. Very solid. It actually reminds me of my Springfield Loaded the way it felt taking it apart, except the external finish was a little better. Gave it a good clean and oil. Lot of very fine grit on everything, very fine. You could feel it with your fingers in the oil that was on it but not see it. A lot of chatter marks all over the barrel. Significantly more than any other 1911 I have. Could be from the fine grit that was all over it. It’s scratched to hell. Was not expecting that brand new. Don’t think the barrel bushing was fit very tightly. Much like my Raptor 45, maybe a little better.

After re applying oil, the slide felt like it was binding up working the slide back and forth, then all of a sudden, it was smooth as butter. Even the disconnector engagement was smooth. I watched a video a couple days ago where a guy cleaned his, fired one shot, then the slide froze up. The way it felt before the oil loosen it up, I could see that happening. Going to need some TLC during break in, that’s for sure.

Polished grip safety and controls are a nice touch. Needs a high viz sight on front. Can’t wait for first shots on the range.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran the first rounds through it, wasn’t planned but it’s what I had handy. I lost count of how many manual chambering attempts it took before this gun would strip and chamber the first round out of a mag. The feed ramp in it is pretty rough. Under the pressure of a full mag (really any more than 6rds, sometimes less) it’s too rough for the slide to have enough umph to send a round home.
Bicycle part Material property Machine Rim Metal

After 2 or 3 attempts to drop the slide the bullet would setback and I’d have to strip it from the mag and try again. About the 10th mag, it finally stripped and chambered the first round from the mag.

That said, the slide action is still smooth as butter. That isn’t the issue. I’m sure after repeated use the ramp will eventually get beaten smooth by the rounds. Once it starts to chamber the rounds it runs fine.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Is it just me, or have you had a run of bad luck with 1911s? Yikes… slides binding, rounds not chambering, etc

on my Dan Wessons (I only have one left) if I recall I followed very clear DW recommendations about cleaning, lubing, at certain intervals during break-in

I don’t recall ever having difficulties like you are having

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it just me, or have you had a run of bad luck with 1911s? Yikes… slides binding, rounds not chambering, etc

on my Dan Wessons (I only have one left) if I recall I followed very clear DW recommendations about cleaning, lubing, at certain intervals during break-in

I don’t recall ever having difficulties like you are having
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. I’d assume this would fall into the break in category.

Although, that was an unusually high number of attempts before it started chambering the first rounds. I used 3 different mags, 2 from Dan Wesson and one from the Colt.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the Dan Wesson break in process from the manual.

Break-in
1 . Your Dan Wesson Handgun is built to tight tolerances . Lubrication and cleaning is key in the break-in process .
2 . Only use generous amounts of the recommend lubricants on the rails of your Dan Wesson .
3 . We recommend that you felid strip, clean and re-oil every 50 rounds during break in .
4 . We recommend a break-in period of 300-500 rounds before the gun is competition/combat ready .
5 . Only use quality factory ball ammunition for the break-in process .
6 . Generally what you will see during this break- in process is failure to go into battery and or sluggish slide operation . This is normal for tight- ly fitted 1911’s and will begin to work itself out during the break-in process .
7 . If for some reason the handgun continues to have issues after this break-in process please contact Dan Wesson .
8 . Once your Dan Wesson pistol is properly broken in only then is it recommended to use hol- low points .
9 . We do not recommend the use of +P ammu- nition to speed up the break-in process . This will usually cause more problems .

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
This is the Dan Wesson break in process from the manual.

Break-in
1 . Your Dan Wesson Handgun is built to tight tolerances . Lubrication and cleaning is key in the break-in process .
2 . Only use generous amounts of the recommend lubricants on the rails of your Dan Wesson .
3 . We recommend that you felid strip, clean and re-oil every 50 rounds during break in .
4 . We recommend a break-in period of 300-500 rounds before the gun is competition/combat ready .
5 . Only use quality factory ball ammunition for the break-in process .
6 . Generally what you will see during this break- in process is failure to go into battery and or sluggish slide operation . This is normal for tight- ly fitted 1911’s and will begin to work itself out during the break-in process .
7 . If for some reason the handgun continues to have issues after this break-in process please contact Dan Wesson .
8 . Once your Dan Wesson pistol is properly broken in only then is it recommended to use hol- low points .
9 . We do not recommend the use of +P ammu- nition to speed up the break-in process . This will usually cause more problems .
Yep.. that’s the regimen I followed

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really don’t think the slide needs much breaking in. Like I said, it’s really smooth already. I always clean oil and work the slide manually before I go out to shoot. At least I know what I’m dealing with.

That Springfield you referenced never even made it out to shoot. It seized up just manually doing the function test at the kitchen table. It runs perfectly fine now.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a new set of shoes for the DW. I have been mauling this over for some time. $150 is a lot for a set of grips. They are supposed to call to establish the make/model/magwell/no magwell config before they make them. I am thinking I may replace the MSH with a magwell version on the DW to help protect the bottom of the grip (being actual gator).

The "Battle Axe" Alligator Gun Grip
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
I bought a new set of shoes for the DW. I have been mauling this over for some time. $150 is a lot for a set of grips. They are supposed to call to establish the make/model/magwell/no magwell config before they make them. I am thinking I may replace the MSH with a magwell version on the DW to help protect the bottom of the grip (being actual gator).

The "Battle Axe" Alligator Gun Grip
View attachment 140923
They ought to look great on that stainless 1911!

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 20 of 21 Posts