National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Lifted from another forum, far, far away.)
I finally bought a revolver, a taurus cia 650ss, and kinda hate it. I like compact guns and I own three. A millenium pro in .40, a para warthog, and the revolver. The revolver is basically the same size as the para and a little less than 1 inch shorter than the taurus. It weighs the same as the Para and 5 oz. more than the taurus. Basically size and weight wise it has no real advantage over the two.

The revolver is definately the looser in acuracy. We all shoot each others guns and nobody can shoot the revolver like they can the others. The revolver is also the looser in capacity with the para and mill. pro both more than doubeling the revolvers capacity.

The only good thing I can say about revolvers is A) They are gorgeous and B) The .357 throws one hell of a fire ball. I don't think I will ever get rid of it because I like having one revolver but he is sure to get lonely because I wont buy another revolver to keep him company.

SO, whatcha think? Your revolver days over, too?
:cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nope, I was at the gun store this morning and checked out a S/W Jerry Michulec model 45. It was Sweet. $795 sweet. I'm keeping my eyes on the used counter for a S/W 44 mag 6 incher, I saw one a while back and regret not buying it.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I can't WAIT to get my little mitts on a revolver of my own! Love hubby's Super Redhawk, and I'm warming up to the .460XVR, but I'm drooling for a .357....... More manageable for me, and I could also shoot .38's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had two revolvers so far and plan on getting more. All of the ones I've owned have been very good performers and I love them. If your shooting .357s out of your snubbie and hate it I would switch to using a lighter .38 special. the recoil in the snubs with .357s are horrendous to say the least. Not all loads are good for every gun so try different loads with the revolver and you'll probably be able to find that is a good performer for you to shoot and more accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My revolver days are over. I sold all my revolvers over the last two years. I have only autos now. But keep in mind my interest in handguns is purely defensive. I don't really shoot handguns for recreation anymore.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Revolvers are inherently more reliable than semis, albeit less popular because of cartridge capacity. They are also more versatile, with larger selection of bullet weights, muzzle velocities, bullet configurations, because you don't have the problem of fitting into a magazine and sliding up a feed ramp to get to the chamber and functioning with recoil springs, etc. IN GENERAL, revolvers can be easier to learn to shoot and will have an edge over semis in the accuracy department. That being said, I carry revolvers in really raw weather that may affect the operation of my semi-autos, or when I don't foresee a major threat - but when I can't avoid going into a situation where the risk is very high, or the firepower overshadows reliability, I'll carry one of my higher capacity semis. One that has reliability proven by use and has a low probability of failure, all demonstrated to my satisfaction, by ME shooting the piece. They are two different classes of firearm and as things have developed over the past couple decades, they can well fill different niches in the self-defense spectrum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although I've never encounter weather that would stop my Glock, can't say the same for my Seecamp backup.
In rough conditions I swap my 32H&R mag snubbie for my backup. More reliable and a hella lot more punch than a .32 semi.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
MY revolver days over? I think NOT! I still love them. As I said in another thread, it took me a while to even hit the broad side of a barn with a SA, and I do often carry an SA. But all-in-all, I still prefer the look, feel, sound, accuracy, and feedback I receive from my wheelguns. Each and every one of them. Er, except for that damn Taurus 415. That badboy is going back for a little warranty work and will retun on probationary status.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only have one -- a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44-magnum.

I have to be honest -- I rather love the beast. Out of the box, the only thing that needed to be changed was the grip -- the wood factory grips were brutal on the palm of my hand -- peeled the skin right off of it after only a few shots. I went ahead and put on a Hogue decelerator grip and it turned it into a smooth shooting machine.

I've also found that it is accurate as hell, more so than my semi-autos (which I can shoot well).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah - I lik'em too!

For Christmas my kids chipped in for a .38 Birdhead (repro) - quite a nice little
shooter!

I'm fond of old guns - if you already haven't figured it out!
:-B-:

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you hate it so much, I would be glad to take it off your hands for a nominal 50 dollar fee so I can properly "dispose" of it! :D

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I bid $51.01. For that fee, I will dispose of your unloved wheelgun so that you are relieved of the burden and the wheelie can humanely live out its life in a loving home.

·
Registered
201 Posts
gunrnr said:
I bid $51.01. For that fee, I will dispose of your unloved wheelgun so that you are relieved of the burden and the wheelie can humanely live out its life in a loving home.

Wait a minute, that means I am the low bidder so far! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
gandog56 said:
gunrnr said:

Wait a minute, that means I am the low bidder so far! ;)
Well yeah, you're trying to buy a gun, I'm offering to provide a safe and loving home to an unwanted waif in a licensed Wheelgun Retirement Facility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its literally because it wasnt a smith and wesson you bought :D . My 4 inch smith wesson 686 shoots better than any of my autos. I dont know why i guess because there isnt any slide movement. As long as the gun and sights are capable and the most important is the operator i think revolvers are more accurate because less mechanical movement and friction If you have a good one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Get rid of my revolvers??
Not on your life!!
In fact, here is my fave:

65-6 LS (Lady Smith)

K-Frame .357mag, three inch barrel, factory tuned.

Sadly, no longer made. :cry:

The problem with the K-frame magnums was that they tended to not handle the 125gr loads well. But, as long as you stick to the old 158gr bullets, you will do fine!!

In fact, Shenine, you might want to get hubby to find you one of these!!

No, you can't have mine!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts