National Gun Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,653 Posts
In regards to the op, there is very little that can be purposely done to significantly keep any soft point, hollow point, bullet from expanding. Certainly filling the cavity of a hollow point with anything will not slow expansion. Any kind of wax or plastic is much softer than lead and anything harder than lead in the cavity would only probably accelerate expansion. The speed that all that expansion stuff happens at is phenomenally fast. So, in that millisecond or two that it does is thing there is little you can do to alter that, except for loading it backwards.

My go to is a Glock 17 for the reasons given about giving it up to neglect if I ever have to use it. And, more importantly, the dang thing goes bang 17 times regardless of what kind of abuse it has suffered leading up to that point.

Alan

·
Live Free
3,372 Posts
For several years I made sure my carry had factory defense ammo in it. Gave up on that for a few reasons...

First, I don’t feel like paying factory prices when I can load equivalent ammo at less than half the price. This facilitates more practice with these loads, although I have target loads that are equivalent.
Second, all my defense loads use the same bullets that Hornady, Speer and Remington use for their defense loads. Typically I use Gold Dots, but XTP’s and Golden sabers are good too.
Third, all my defense loads are within load criteria regarding powder charge, and are not pushed to maximum, though they may be close.
Finally, when I test my loads against factory, velocities are within 50 fps being the same, and accuracy is always better. Better accuracy equates to less chance of collateral damage.

I hope to never have to shoot another soul, but if I must, I am going to use the best ammo I can...my own.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I'm not thoroughly convinced as Ayoob is in using standardized factory equipment for self defense. Considering what might be at stake even in a totally justified, witnessed, video taped and notarized shooting the expense and possible inconvenience is overshadowed by losing your freedom and in extreme cases possibly your life. Then there's always civil liability. Doesn't make sense to be penny wise and pound foolish.

My carry guns are factory standard. Any modifications will be done by a professional gunsmith. Carry ammo is commercially available standard, including defensive, rounds. Same reason I have carry insurance. I hope I never have to and certainly don't want to shoot anyone unless I have to.

We can have a conversation and can agree that any potential shooting is totally justified but it's not up to you or me. It's up to a jury of my peers in an adversarial proceeding. Last non-criminal proceedings I had in court didn't go my way. If I told the story it might make perfect sense to you and you might say how could any intelligent human being come to a different conclusion. Well it can happen and it happened to me and it happens to others all day every day.

The last lawyer I hired made $300 an hour. He wouldn't do anything until I gave him a non-refundable 10 hour retainer. The first thing he did was spend 20 min writing me a letter telling me the facts of the case as he understood them. Easy $100 spent for him to tell me what I already knew. How much ammo could that buy?

A retainer is only the starting point and the bare minimum it goes up from there. ne question that gets asked concerning spending money on self defense is what is your life worth? Well how much is your freedom worth?

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,263 Posts
I'm not thoroughly convinced as Ayoob is in using standardized factory equipment for self defense. Considering what might be at stake even in a totally justified, witnessed, video taped and notarized shooting the expense and possible inconvenience is overshadowed by losing your freedom and in extreme cases possibly your life. Then there's always civil liability. Doesn't make sense to be penny wise and pound foolish.

My carry guns are factory standard. Any modifications will be done by a professional gunsmith. Carry ammo is commercially available standard, including defensive, rounds. Same reason I have carry insurance. I hope I never have to and certainly don't want to shoot anyone unless I have to.

We can have a conversation and can agree that any potential shooting is totally justified but it's not up to you or me. It's up to a jury of my peers in an adversarial proceeding. Last non-criminal proceedings I had in court didn't go my way. If I told the story it might make perfect sense to you and you might say how could any intelligent human being come to a different conclusion. Well it can happen and it happened to me and it happens to others all day every day.

The last lawyer I hired made $300 an hour. He wouldn't do anything until I gave him a non-refundable 10 hour retainer. The first thing he did was spend 20 min writing me a letter telling me the facts of the case as he understood them. Easy $100 spent for him to tell me what I already knew. How much ammo could that buy?

A retainer is only the starting point and the bare minimum it goes up from there. ne question that gets asked concerning spending money on self defense is what is your life worth? Well how much is your freedom worth?
Well said

21 - 24 of 24 Posts