National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually run Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm handgun. Hornady fills the cavity in their JHP tips with something red.

Recently I managed to purchase some other brand JHP. I noticed these have an open cavity at the tip. I've read of rounds like this filling up with clothing and such and failing to open up.

Is this a valid concern? If so, is there something I can use to fill the cavity that won't affect the round's performance?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Personally I don't believe it is a concern. Typically the cavities are so large they can't help but expand. I would on the other hand be mindful of modifying any factory rounds in my carry weapon since, God forbid, I ever have to use it and then defend myself in court about they type of ammo I modified for my defense weapon. I only use factory ammo in my carry weapons.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
It seems like a caliber above 9mm should be okay, for the most part.

Smaller calibers, may be problematic. In cold weather when people wear heavier clothing, it may make sense to use ball ammo in a 380 or smaller. In the summer, perhaps not a problem.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
I wouldn’t even use my own reloads in a defensive situation. The prosecution would paint me to be a killer with ammo made to be more lethal than ordinary ammo. It’s bad enough that in a situation like that, the perpetrator has not only more rights but the sympathy of the general public and therefore the jury. Don’t give them any thing more to use against you.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,158 Posts
I agree. I'm one that believes that any firearm that you carry that may be used in a defensive situation should be as it left the factory. Zero modifications. same goes for ammo.
I have modified firearms. One of the joys of owning guns is modifying them. They are range guns and not guns I have access to or would reach for in SD situations.
This lawyer touches on it a bit here:

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Trying to fill a cavity would likely throw the bullets harmonics off. Remember, it’s spinning when it leaves the barrel. Too heavy of a fill might even cause some expansion in the barrel. I’d leave it alone. Those plastic inserts in Hornady bullets are designed to crush to improve the expansion performance and assist with chambering. I’m sure they spent a great deal of time getting it right.

Most of the above comments are on the money with respect to prosecutors. They have 1 job, find something to put you in jail for. They don’t care if you were in the right or not.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
I have heard these things for several years now. I believe there is another video out there refuting this asking someone to point to just one case of someone being scrutinized over the type of ammo or using reloads in a self defense shooting. I don't think anyone was able to do it. Couldn't the same be said about using factory ammo with the words critical defense, defender or elite in the name? The jury could be made to think you were looking to kill someone using such high powered ammo versus someone who was just using their normal lower powered range reloads. Anything you reload can be verified if needed. The guy also mentioned guns with colors other than black saying you should only use factory colors. Maybe he's unaware that most of these guns are factory colors? I certainly get having something like kill them all or something along those lines would probably be a bad thing. Most of the time in my carry gun i have just plain cast bullets. Lead has worked for a couple of centuries and still does if you do your part. I have some corbon ammo but I'm down to one box and i refuse to pay the prices they charge for defense ammo(especially now) if you can even get it. Didn't someone say they paid like $50 recently for some? For $50 i can load 800 9mm rounds...might be a little more now if primers stay higher priced.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
@Square target It only matters if a prosecutor can convince a judge or jury of your intent. My brother sent me a picture of a handguard that could be bought that says, “F*** Biden”. Now, imagine, standing before a judge or jury and explaining how your political outrage played no part in your decision to shoot and kill the “peaceful protestor” that broke into your house in the middle of the night.

It doesn’t really matter if it makes perfect sense to you, it only matters if it can be spun to make you look like you did something wrong. If they can convince the judge/jury you intended to do harm or use excessive force prior to whatever happened, you’ll go to jail.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
@Square target It only matters if a prosecutor can convince a judge or jury of your intent. My brother sent me a picture of a handguard that could be bought that says, “F*** Biden”. Now, imagine, standing before a judge or jury and explaining how your political outrage played no part in your decision to shoot and kill the “peaceful protestor” that broke into your house in the middle of the night.

It doesn’t really matter if it makes perfect sense to you, it only matters if it can be spun to make you look like you did something wrong. If they can convince the judge/jury you intended to do harm or use excessive force prior to whatever happened, you’ll go to jail.
Exactly my point on using ammo labeled critical defense, defender etc. Anything you do or use can be spun in a negative way. Would it look better to the jury if you were using ammo that was labeled like that with 1135fps and 335 ft lbs of energy versus something that is going 800fps and has 240 ft lbs of energy. Would using faster hotter ammo show intent? Just posting on here would probably come out and be used in a negative way no matter what or how you say things.....

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,279 Posts
Exactly my point on using ammo labeled critical defense, defender etc. Anything you do or use can be spun in a negative way. Would it look better to the jury if you were using ammo that was labeled like that with 1135fps and 335 ft lbs of energy versus something that is going 800fps and has 240 ft lbs of energy. Would using faster hotter ammo show intent? Just posting on here would probably come out and be used in a negative way no matter what or how you say things.....
Not exactly. When you buy ammo off the shelf you somewhat have a security blanket under the fact it’s an “industry standard”. It would be difficult if not impossible to convince a judge or jury that you went out of your way by selecting a factory, off the shelf ammo labeled for “Self Defense”

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
And if you used a AR-15 in a home defense shooting that happened to use a factory made spikes tactical lower with skulls, snowflake, spartan or other type of design on the gun. Anything can and will be scrutinized whether it's factory or otherwise. Like i said too, anything said on here(or any other forum or FB) will probably show up in front of a jury. Think of any funny meme you may have posted or replied to be being scrutinized.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My guess is that if you kill someone in self defense, the scenario best be aligned with the laws in your State, unmistakably. If not, then your ammo, lack of trigger job, etc., isn’t going to get out of trouble. That being said, it may serve people who like to both carry and shoot at the range, to have both a “range” gun and a stock “carry/hd” gun. Obviously, practice a lot with the latter.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
i only carry factory ammo from a reputable main stream producer....that was drilled into me for years when i was an leo.......don't tinker with the factory ammo beyond design specs.....if you want different performance then chose different ammo. I am not a scientist, very poor at math, and do not have all the testing resources nor the time and money to prove up a home brew/design over an established factory design ammo.

is the red tip plunger handgun ammo design superior to a non-tip HP design?....depends on whose propaganda you are reading and what bullets you are comparing.

the hornady critical defense/critical duty is decent ammo......as is the Speer Gold Dot.....as is remington HTP, winchester bonded jhp........

given time, something new, different, or re-invented and repackaged will come forth.

i think the latest is Winchester Hex-Vent bullets.....the red tip plunger replaced with a screen..... USA Ready Defense | Winchester Ammunition

i am jaded......while the new bullet designs may be decent and perform as advertised....they are like fishing lures.....the number one priority is to be purchased....the 2nd priority is to catch fish....

Reactions: Popeye and Philmo11

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The case of Harold Fish, in which the prosecutor raised the issue of Fish's having used a 10mm with JHP bullets and in which at least one juror was reportedly swayed by that argument (" The whole hollow point thing bothered me. That bullet is designed to do as much damage as absolutely possible. It’s designed to kill") comes to mind.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
I used to be a fan of not using reloads. Now, not so much. I read, heard and disseminated all of the arguments in favor of using only factory ammo. Now, I'm not convinced any more. I was only every able to find ONE case where Massad Ayoob testified in a trial where the ammo was an issue. The defense could not give the exact composition of the round fired and so, the idea that the death was a suicide and not a murder was in question. I don't recall the outcome of the case but one thing is certain, a lot of money went into that defense.

Nowadays, I'm thinking, use what's in your gun. If you happen to grab a custom pistol with tuned loads in it and defend yourself, so be it. You'll still be alive, hopefully, regardless of the status of the perp. That is, if you succeeded in stopping a threat to your life.

One thing that I've also suggested is that you use the least expensive firearm you can find because after a shooting, your firearm is going to be kept in an evidence locker for five years, uncleaned, dirty and rusting away. The idea was, your custom $3,500 1911 won't be yours for at least that long and when you do finally get it back (if ever), you'll be looking at a useless piece of junk.

Maybe. And if so, you're still alive. Hopefully.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure of that, either. Keep a gun at hand that you know how to use and if that's NOT the least expensive one you have, at least your family may be less likely to have to sell it to bury you.

--Wag--

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
I used to be a fan of not using reloads. Now, not so much. I read, heard and disseminated all of the arguments in favor of using only factory ammo. Now, I'm not convinced any more. I was only every able to find ONE case where Massad Ayoob testified in a trial where the ammo was an issue. The defense could not give the exact composition of the round fired and so, the idea that the death was a suicide and not a murder was in question. I don't recall the outcome of the case but one thing is certain, a lot of money went into that defense.

Nowadays, I'm thinking, use what's in your gun. If you happen to grab a custom pistol with tuned loads in it and defend yourself, so be it. You'll still be alive, hopefully, regardless of the status of the perp. That is, if you succeeded in stopping a threat to your life.

One thing that I've also suggested is that you use the least expensive firearm you can find because after a shooting, your firearm is going to be kept in an evidence locker for five years, uncleaned, dirty and rusting away. The idea was, your custom $3,500 1911 won't be yours for at least that long and when you do finally get it back (if ever), you'll be looking at a useless piece of junk.

Maybe. And if so, you're still alive. Hopefully.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure of that, either. Keep a gun at hand that you know how to use and if that's NOT the least expensive one you have, at least your family may be less likely to have to sell it to bury you.

--Wag--
Oh my! You're advocating everyone use a glock now! 😂

Reactions: deputy

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
LOL! Just don't use a wrist rocket, they are outlawed in some places.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts