National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
You got a lot of hoops to jump through but it can be done. Any thing to do with government is a mess in my book. Good luck if you do it.:biggrin5:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
It all depends on your definition of "easy". It also depends on where you live.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
If you are home-based and do not have a regular retail operation, i.e., if you're just trying to get an FFL in order to buy wholesale for yourself and some friends, you will likely be rejected. The BATF has eliminated many thousands of those types of FFLs over the past several years.

You will be required to show whatever licenses that are required to conduct business in your area (business license, tax permit, etc.) and that, in turn, may require either a zoning change or an exemption. Getting that is completely dependent upon the laws and ordinances of your state, county, and/or city. There may even be restrictions imposed by neighborhood associations or the like.

You will also be required to provide a description of your safe, or whatever arrangement you have to store firearms, as well as your security system.

A good place to start would be ATF's website and their FAQs

Reactions: bat1159man

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I also thought about doing this, as have most folks who buy enough guns to get tired of the transfer fees.

I decided that I ddin't want to invite the BATF into my life.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I also thought about doing this, as have most folks who buy enough guns to get tired of the transfer fees.

I decided that I ddin't want to invite the BATF into my life.

Ditto that!

We did consider starting our own little operation at one stage, but all the red tape, and governmental interference just didn't seem worth it to me.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Ditto that!

We did consider starting our own little operation at one stage, but all the red tape, and governmental interference just didn't seem worth it to me.

And thats what they hope for, to make it difficult so only serious folks that have a storefront will be able to have the staff to deal with all the government regulation and paperwork.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I won't say that I've had a lot of interference. Fact is, the ATF has actually been pleasant to work with over the past 15 yrs., BUT (and it's a BIG BUT), that could change in a moment and meanwhile, they have a permanent invitation to come on over to Gunrnr's house for a visit. Not so for an ordinary gun owner. I can make a few bucks by doing transfers and selling some firearms, but my name and my license are on the line on every transaction. If I somehow err, my butt is at risk. That $20.00 paid for the transfer doesn't even put a down payment on an attorney's services, if I get in a bind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts