National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new .40 recipe. I've been using 231 under 180 gr. bullets. Also tried bullseye. Both work, but I feel like theres gotta be something better. Today I had some with fmj and lead, the lead shot better, I think I'm gonna buy more lead, but need to be pointed toward another powder. I am gonna try AA#5 and #7. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a large bullet order in today, 180 grainers (lead and Plated), got some 165, 150, and 135's too. I've never tried the lightweight bullets in 40. I've got to share these between two .40's and a 10mm. I have a good selection of handgun powders on the shelf too.

Hoping someone can steer me toward which bullets work better with faster/slower powders.

One of my .40's has been modified to take long loaded cartridges, and I think it shoots better that way now, conversely, loading the light (shorter) bullets out isnt an option. So, I really need to work on two separate .40 loads with out eating up my supply experimenting.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's what I am loading for a Baby Eagle semi compact steel, Beretta, and a Witness.

7.2 grs AA5- 135 gr Rainier HP COL 1.115
8.5 grs AA5- 165 gr Remington Golden Sabre COL 1.120 This load is HOT and work up to it. It is the same load data for the Speer 165 and is max in their book. The GS bullet has less bearing surface so pressures should be lower than the Speer manual would reflect but approach with caution if loading this.

The 135 Rainier load will put all of the bullets in the same hole out of the BE if you can at 25 yds. Incredible accuracy for this load/gun. The other pistols shoot it pretty good as well. The GS load comes out of all the listed pistols at or under an inch at 25 yds from bags. COL is critical for these loads for these pistols. FWIW, I have about 30 lbs of 231 and I have yet to find a load for any pistol cartridge with acceptable accuracy results. It's suppose to be THE powder for a 45acp and mine just won't shoot it and I have several 45s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.