National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My all time favorite has got to be Col. Jeff Cooper. To Ride, Shoot straight, and Speak the Truth is one good read. I've got most of his books and miss his column in the back of Guns and Ammo.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fellas, I got "Lone Surviver" by Marcus Luttrell yesterday. I have only read the first 2 chapters so far, but I can tell this will be a good one. Its a true story of a SEAL's expereince in Afghanistan. I wont say much more, other than I've heard him interviewed on Micheal Reagan's and Glenn Beck's radio shows. The man went through hell and survived. The book is on the best seller list.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! :-B-:

G

·
Anything by Jeff Cooper is worth reading. I actually sent my whole "Jeff Cooper library" to myself here in Afghanistan.

Far and away the best book on actual shooting technique I've ever read is Mike Plaxco's "Shooting from Within." I tried reading Brian Enos' book on the same subject matter, but couldn't get through all the Eastern-Zen mumbo-jumbo.

I used to read a lot of Mas Ayoob's stuff, and took his LFI-1 class. However, there are some inconsistencies in some of his "Ayoob Files" accounts of gunfights, especially FBI-Miami, so I am just a bit leery of him now.

John Farnam's books are pretty good, though I often disagree with him.

Gabe Suarez is interesting and knowledgeable. I'll probably take his Close Range Gunfighting class when I get back to America. His heavy emphasis on being a "Christian Warrior" is certainly an...unusual...angle, though.

Tom Givens probably wrote the best introduction to gun carrying that I've read, "Fighting Smarter."

Dave Spaulding's "Handgun Combatives" is outstanding.

Despite all the good press it got from his cronies in the gun rag world, I though Walt Rauch's "Real World Survival" was an absolutely awful waste of time and money.

I don't read military books.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts