National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
My favorite so far? That would have to be the stuff I bought from gunrnr. Gave me the most clean, accurate shooting I've had yet. Though the accuracy might have just been the tips he gave me. :) But, when cleaning the barrel, the third swab came out spotless. I ran a 4th and 5th just to be sure. Both those came out spotless. So, as far as I'm concerned, gunrnr does it best. American Eagle would have to be my favorite store bought brand. PMC is really dirty and not so accurate, and Independence jams way too often.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The kind I make at home.

As far as storebought, I like Federal Hydra-shok and Cor-bon. I use factory ammo in my carry guns, but only because of the internet legal rumor thing.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
For defense ammo... Federal Hydra-Shoks, but I've heard they're stopping production on them. Though I will continue to use Federal.

For range use... Winchester Whites, and Magtech.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Depends - for the 1911, Winchester White Box; for the .22 rifle, Federal; for the .30-06, Remington Core Lokt; for dove hunting, Remington Sure Shot Heavy Dove Load; for duck hunting, Winchester Expert High Velocity Steel Shot.

G

·
For the range I use Win White box or Magtech, for all cals.

Def ammo, I use:

.40 S&W - Win Ranger HP
380 Auto - Hornady Custom XTP -or- Pow'r'ball
9mm - Hornady TAP

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
WHAT?!?!? :yikes1: How disappointing! With what are they planning on replacing them? Something good, hopefully..............
From what I've heard... that little stud poking up from the center is being removed from the valley. The benefits of having it do not justify the extra production costs, at least that's the info I have.

I'm bummed as well... I have always loved them!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I carry Federal LE HST JHPs, in both my .45 and my 9mm. 230 gr +P for the .45, and 147 gr +P for the 9mm.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the Hornady TAP and LeverRevolution and other ammo products they produce.

I have been a fan of Cor-Bon for defense for years, Federal hydra-shoks are nice. The old Nyclads were pretty good too.

The winchester silvertips are very reliable and do a good job also. There is a lot of good ammo available for defensive use and it comes with a high price tag.

For practice I use my own reloads for my popular calibers, and have several powders that I prefer.

G

·
NOT Wolf!
I load pretty much everything I shoot. I buy 5.56 projectiles and surplus powder in quantity and it works out really well for me. When I find a good lot, I buy like 40# or so of propellant. I usually buy primers by the case and only top brands. My 'plinking' ammo when I do my job is sub 2moa any day of the week, which is pretty good for a so called 'rack grade' rifle and 52 year old eyes. BTW I hold the gun, no bench rest, ever.

I buy .22LR bulk packs to save money as I burn up quite a bit of that.

G

·
I like all the major brands, my favorite being Hornady. I like their TAP loads as well as the lever evolution in .450 Marlin. At work, I'm issued Federal Tactical 180 grain .40S&W. Does anyone know if that's the HST? I haven't seen the HST around much, of course I haven't been looking too hard. I've heard they're less expensive than most personal defense ammo.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Hydra-Shocks for self-defence, and really anything else for practise. I've got boxes of every brand out there. No problems with any of them except fo Wolf in certain calibers.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
From what I've heard... that little stud poking up from the center is being removed from the valley. The benefits of having it do not justify the extra production costs, at least that's the info I have.

I'm bummed as well... I have always loved them!

Federal Hydra-Shoks :thumbsup: And i hope they dont stop making them.

Went shooting this afternoon, and I asked the guy that runs the gun shop about the Federal Hydra Shok story...... He said he hasn't heard anything about them being discontinued.

Where did you hear that Big Daddy?!?!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts