1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
It doesn’t take a village to raise a child. Yeah sorry but I DID BUILD MY BUSINESS!!!. I didn’t get into too much trouble in school, not because I was a good kid but I was definitely afraid of my parents. My father is a marine and a retired DI. You don’t step out of line. Worse than that, my mom was a stay at home mom who kept close tabs on us kids. If mom was upset or angry at you, she’d kick your ass across the room and then she’d tell dad. I did more a few work details that were hard labor. It made me a better person.

·
Super Moderator
13,059 Posts
It doesn’t take a village to raise a child. Yeah sorry but I DID BUILD MY BUSINESS!!!. I didn’t get into too much trouble in school, not because I was a good kid but I was definitely afraid of my parents. My father is a marine and a retired DI. You don’t step out of line. Worse than that, my mom was a stay at home mom who kept close tabs on us kids. If mom was upset or angry at you, she’d kick your ass across the room and then she’d tell dad. I did more a few work details that were hard labor. It made me a better person.
Ditto that. Except for the marine sergeant DI bit. My parents were pretty ruthless, well into the territory of abusiveness.

I think I may have turned out okay.

--Wag--

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,401 Posts
My father was President of the School Board and the Truant Officer.

AND, as the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

My first three school teachers had also taugut my dad in school.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One thing I like about our kids school, they still use a paddle. I showed our boys (8yo and 5yo) what a paddle looked like and I think it helps them try and act right. Although, it didn't scare me "as much" when I was in school, haha. But I wasn't a trouble maker. I'd only fight if I was getting bullied to the point where I had no other choice. I teach my kids that too. Tell the kid to stop first. If it keeps going on, tell the teacher. If it still continues, defend yourself.

·
Super Moderator
13,059 Posts
Speaking of paddles, my old man told me that if I got paddled at school, he'd whip my a$$ ten times harder when I got home. Needless to say, I never got paddled at school. Nevertheless, the old man found plenty of his own reasons to beat me and my siblings.

--Wag--

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was born in Shreveport when it was about as an all American town as one could find. Over many years, one race took over Shreveport and another race fled across the Red River to Bossier City. Caddo Parish is about as divided as it can get. The rest of the story is easy to finish.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
This story made me think back to when my oldest boys were 5 and 6. We couldn’t get them to stop fighting with each other. I finally got up off the couch one day, walked into their room, got a firm grip on both of them and made them kiss and make up. Long story short, it put an end to that crap in a hurry…

They also learned that day, Dad don’t play. They get into it now, I raise my voice once, it stops immediately.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
You made them kiss? Just make sure they don’t start playing dress up in your wife’s clothes and singing show tunes. Then again, the thought of having having to kiss each other again might just do the trick. Lol.

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Those parents should be carrying replicas of Buford Pusser's piece of wood.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Remember growing up in the USA.
There were schools in every neighborhood. For grade schoolers it was always just a few blocks away.
Moms would spend there free time there or make time for it.
They were full time moms. Touring the neighborhood school and it location was part of purchasing a home.
Then the federal government and unions started meddling.
Here we are 50 or 60yrs later.
I remember while i was raising kids. There was a decent school that could be seen from our back door.
Our children could not go there. They had to be bused across town.
I have come to realize stripping the children from there homes became on of there foundation blocks for what we see today.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too bad all parents can't put their kids in a home schooling program. That's what my daughter did and the kids are advancing much much faster. There is a waiting list to get in the program.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts