National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I go back to school in about a week, so I would really like some suggestions before I go back, it is something we can actually do together. My dad is looking to buy a new pistol and I thought I owed it to him to do some good research before he goes and buys the first thing recommended or that looks good.

Well, there are a couple calibers he is looking at, primarily either 9mm or a 40, but if there is a particular 45 that is exceptional, then he would consider it. And lastly, he would like it to be preferably in a stainless, silver finish. Basically, can you guys just give me some recommendations, maybe make a top 3 list for each and give me an idea of which are best and why I should go with one over another as far as each gun or the caliber itself?

By the way, if it was me buying anything, I would either want a 50 desert eagle or a 44 Taurus raging bull. However, I don't plan on having such expendable income any time soon, but anyhow, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
A handgun needs to fit the individual my pick may not be his. Have him shop around find a few he likes go to a range try them out then make a decision. My only advice would be to stick with a reputable manufacturer. Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The .44 or Eagle are cool looking but not so practical for a first pistol.

I carry, weather permitting, a Kimber Ultra II in stainless. It's a compact .45 in 1911 style, it's fun to shoot, accurate and can be had for $700 range.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If he is new or hasn't shot for a long time I would recommend a 9mm in a Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W MP. Go to a shop and finger print all of them and pick the one that feels right. They all sell for about $550 and are quality pistols. Anyone of them is good to carry and for the home or range. Good luck. :thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As far as I know he is using it for self defense/shooting for fun. He says he wants one that he can conceal although there is no way he actually will I know it comes down to preference, but I know some guns have superior reputations. For example, for the 9mm, I have been hearing good things about the browning hi power, the Baretta 92fs and the Taurus PT92. I don't remember what all he owns, though I do know he has a .357. I suppose he would consider one that is not all stainless, but I think he really wants one that is at least mostly silver. The price range is around 400-800 I suppose. Somewhere around 500-650 is most likely, but in that general range.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I will be the old fart here and say if he hasn't been around handguns for a while, go with a revolver. Less gizmmos and things to remember. I say pick up a nice S&W or Ruger that fits your/his hand. That way you can practice with cheap 38 specials until you get the hang of things. Then change to 357nags for practice and social work.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Thats a tough question to answer. You did not specify a price range or a requirement for a single action or double action.

If price was not an option I would look at the Sig line of pistols they are mostly double action and can be had in all calibers in a Stainless finish if he so desires. If a single action 45 is an option I would lean towards the Kimber line or Springfield. You will be close to 1K for the Sig, Springfield and Kimber brands.

Now if price is a big challenge I might steer him to the Springfield XD-M version in 40 Caliber or a 45 regular XD. Pricing is about $600 for each of these. A glock may be a good choice also but they don't offer a Stainless finish.

The best thing to do is follow the advice of the other members and go to a gun shop that handles all the brands and find the best fit and feel for the hand. Then visit a range that rents firearms and try out the ones that you have an interest in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there are a couple calibers he is looking at, primarily either 9mm or a 40, but if there is a particular 45 that is exceptional, then he would consider it.
I'm going a slightly different way here. I'd personally strongly recommend a .22 lr like a Browng Hunter as a first gun, for a number of reasons.
1. They are cost effective to buy, 2. Ammo is cheap and abundant, 3, They are fun to shoot and 4. You can shoot one for hours at a time. You can really learn a lot about shooting with one. You and your DAD can spend a good amount of time shooting one and have a good time with it. You DO NOT have to a magnum or big bore to have fun. Trust me, I know!

I own a .44 MAG, .357MAG, 9MM .22, .40 SW etc and love em all. I also put more rounds through the .22 than all others combined. I practice a lot and the .22 is a really good platform for that. I usually have 15-20K rounds of .22 and 10K rounds of everything else at any given time.

Cost is a critical concern in the shooting sport. How much are you prepared to spend? .22's cost $13 for 550 rounds. 9MM at WalMart is about $21 for 100 rounds. You can bust 100 rounds real fast!
Unless you reload, you can burn up a lot of money in a hurry with store bought ammo. You can't reload anything as cheap as you can shoot .22's

I would very strongly recommend you avoid off beat calibers like .460, .500 .50 AE, .357 sig etc. Ammo is very expensive when you can find it.

For reference, 9mm is about $.20/rd, .40 is about $.50/rd, .45 is above .50's etc. It's not cheap and you will be surprised at how fast you can pop 100 rds. Heck, you'll be surprised at how fast you can pop 500 rounds!

Last week I shot up 500+ rounds on the pistol range in a little over an hour. No kidding. Since I load my own, it cost about $50. Store bought would have been over $100 easy. I shot 200x.357, 100+x.22LR and 200x9MM.

Whatever you do, get a good gun. You get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of Glocks myself but thats personal choice. They are good guns and I suspect a good choice for a first handgun. I love Smith and Wesson revolvers and you will not go wrong with one.

Hope that helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, first of all, I said price is around 400-800, but probly in the middle somewhere. And secondly it is for him so it is not his first, so that is not an issue, so I definitely think he wants to stick to either a 9 a 40 or a 45 as ammo is a factor. So far I have done some research, I seem to know more about 9s though. I am kind of looking at the CZ 75 Stainless and the Taurus PT92 although I don't know about availability. I also have a better grasp for some of the better manufacturers such as sig. Again, he also wants the silver, stainless look, so that should narrow it down quite a bit. I would love more suggestions with the cal and silver limitations, just look at some of your favorite/best guns that happen to be both and help me out some more. Thanks again everyone. Maybe someday I will be coming back asking for recommendations for myself. So far I like the Taurus 1911 although it is expensive and as I said I am a college student with little to protect heh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts