National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife loves to hike,i dont .we live real close to a section of the appalachin(sp?) trail.awesome place to hike but have been a number of rape,assaults, rooberies etc. so i dont like her going on her own or with my daughter by themselves.with all that walking she hates wearing a holster. i mentioned one of those fanny pack type holsters and she seemed willing to try it . does anyone have any experience with these? who makes the best brand? any help would be appreciated because if that wont work i'll have to hike.which is fine if i get to hunt/shoot something at the other end but they dont like that in natl/state parks.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Go down to the camra shop and get one that will fit your gun. Be sure it says Kodak or such and has a nice big emblem on it. Everybody that sees it will think it's a camera. I have one that I use once in awhile that a j-frame fits in just perfect. ;)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I have one made for carrying, it has several zippered pockets, the one for the gun had a velcro strap that holds the gun in.

The stock/grip can point to either side, a quick unzip and the gun is out and in your hand.

Yeh, it screams 'GUN' to you & me, but I doubt that the uninitiated have a clue. Hell, most folks don't notice when I open carry.

Here's a couple of links:

Fanny Pack Article
Another Fanny Pack Article

I looked for mine to see who the manufacturer is, but can't seem to find it.

Google Gun Fanny Pak and find one you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget the pepper spray. The daughters can spray pepper whilst mamma sprays lead. By golly! :--- :---

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
IMHO a fanny pack carry is no better than a purse carry. Having to use two hands to get your piece and draw ain't a good thing (that other hand can be used for other means). Try teaching her to carry on a more comfortable part of her body. Try a paddle felony or kidney.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Actually, you don't need to use two hands.

The one I have has two zipper tangs for each pouch.

Keep the tangs on the right hand side, you can unzip and remove the weapon with your right hand in one easy movement.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
whompuss said:
Don't forget the pepper spray. The daughters can spray pepper whilst mamma sprays lead. By golly! :--- :---
No doubt about it Mr Whompuss. I gave the the spray to my daughter yesterday and she was happy to get it. Said she almost bought one at the flea market last week. :D I don't have to worry about Mama as she is a redhead and if that gun comes out somebody is in trouble. ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Baldy said:
Go down to the camra shop and get one that will fit your gun. Be sure it says Kodak or such and has a nice big emblem on it. Everybody that sees it will think it's a camera. I have one that I use once in awhile that a j-frame fits in just perfect. ;)
I think Baldy has an excellent idea there. The black leather packs always look like a gun toting gizmo to me. The camera pack might work even better, with little pockets for a light, pepper spray, extra mag, etc.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Glock27Bill said:

Keep the tangs on the right hand side, you can unzip and remove the weapon with your right hand in one easy movement.
Ok cool. Still not a fan, but I guess it comes down to preference.

Never been a fan of OC spray. You can fight through it. Hurts like hell, but someone hopped up may not even notice it.

Stun guns are a bit better, but once again, not good for someone who is hopped up.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
C-D-P said:
Glock27Bill said:

Never been a fan of OC spray. You can fight through it. Hurts like hell, but someone hopped up may not even notice it.

Stun guns are a bit better, but once again, not good for someone who is hopped up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--s7MWz6m0&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=OC%20spray&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv

Plus, I understand that some states do not allow folks to use tasers or stun guns for self protection. Michigan comes to mind.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
sig232 said:
C-D-P said:
Glock27Bill said:

Stun guns are a bit better, but once again, not good for someone who is hopped up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--s7MWz6m0&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=OC%20spray&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv

Plus, I understand that some states do not allow folks to use tasers or stun guns for self protection. Michigan comes to mind.
Really? I hadn't heard that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i looked at buying the tasers that came on the market in nov.(just like the cops use) and are legal in va but they cost as much as a small handgun. for the $$ ther is no ? in my mind. has anyone used the guardian angel pepper spray thing from kimber?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont those fanny packs draw attention since a guy is weraing them? Here no guy wears one. So if I had one I would stick out like a sore thumb ans look like a fruit. LOL.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Punisher said:
Dont those fanny packs draw attention since a guy is weraing them? Here no guy wears one. So if I had one I would stick out like a sore thumb ans look like a fruit. LOL.
I have never worn one either...even before they were refered to as a 'male purse'. I'm just too cool I guess. LOL

Does she carry any kind of a pack when she hikes for water and what not? Check these pouches and packs out. Blackhawk has everything it seems like. I would recommend the first one. She could wear it on her thigh and it looks like a regular pouch...could put other stuff in there if needed.

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp? ... &priceend=

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp? ... &priceend=

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
SheNine said:
No man should EVER wear a fanny pack! 'Nuff said................. ;)
Agreed, but I have one that was designed for CCW and works great inside a vehicle. It protects the gun and is less obvious than some other modes of carry.

But I agree as far as "wearing" a fanny pack. I don't know which is more tacky, seeing guys who wear them in front, looking like some kind of industrial-strength jock strap or wearing them in back, which looks like some weird booty-bag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are times when they are the best option.

I've noticed a resurgence in people using, or at least in being more comfortable showing up to a pistol course with one (and using it throughout a 2 day 1200+ rnd course!).

I even brought back a few examples of a very low-profile and well made example (which still holds a full size pistol) from the Czech Republic. it is manufactured by the guys at Aegis Akademie. Unfortunately, they had a British trained translator design their promotional material for English speaking countries and they now have 5000 really well made brochures advertising their "Bum Bag" (Seriously.....).

Here is a close up (they have about 10 colors), as I noted above, it is no problem to keep a Glock 17 in this pack and deploy it efficiently. This photo is cropped because one of my instructors might quit if I posted the look he had on his face along with the picture of him wearing a red "bum bag".

HEre is a pic of my demonstrating the draw to a high compressed ready from another color (not the thigh rig, which is a whole 'nuther story):

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Thanks for the imput and great pictures Rob! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen people that wear them around here. I like the idea of the camera bag that has a name on it. Makes it appear a little less suspicious. But I have never really considered wearing a fanny pack. The only time I do is when I hunt to keep stuff in it I need. I prefer a high ride tight holster that keeps my gun as close to my body as I can. Its just a high-cant holster. Practice is good too so I don't get the front sight stuck on it when I pull it out. Good muscle memory technique. I like to practice a draw and dry fire, but I think its better to use live ammo so I can train the thumb and finger for trigger control and safety engagement and don't get in the habit of not putting the safety back on after a live fire draw. But, I also like to do no fire drills lining up the sights if I'm bored. I'll line it up on my mother's figurines and plates she has. I have fantasized about shooting them off the wall on more than one occasion lolol..... I wish they'd let me take my gun to work too, I have 10.5 hrs to do nothing but sit around. So that would be a good change of pace ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts