National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to take up firearms again but my previous experience was many, many moons ago. Because of this, and because my previous exerience was mainly with rifles and very minimally with handguns (which I hope to add to my repertoire), I decided to take a training course or two before I hit the range. However, the last time I shot anything, I did not require glasses in order to see anything & everything in front of me. I was advised that I need eye protection for the training course I enrolled in.

Are 'regular' eye glasses adequate protection? Do they make safety glasses large enough to cover glasses? Or, do I need to suck it up and stick my finger in my eye to wear these frakkin' contacts? They don't perfectly correct my vision but at least I can see. What do most people do?

Now on to the next perhaps somewhat odd question. I was also advised that I need ear protection. When I bothered, I previously wore specially molded/designed ear plugs but I seem to see that everyone else is wearing headphones. Are headphones required on most ranges? Ear plugs fine?

Thoughts/suggestions? I'd appreciate 'em!

I should have asked the guy with the training program but didn't think to do so until he was no longer around, and now he's in Canada for the next couple of days. :\

·
Registered
568 Posts
Im pretty sure eye glasses will work, i used sunglasses at a range. But i dont really know on that one.

And i used earplugs and i was shooting large cal rifles, and they worked fine. Though, when the dude who had to be firing at least a .308 or bigger on the 300m range opened up witht that sniper rifle... it was LOUD even with em. i think the headphones are probably the type that will silence gunshots, but not voices

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Cy is right about the headphones...they just muffle the gun retort, but you can still hear the range instructor or talk to another person on the line. I never used ear protection until I was in law enforcement and it was required on the range.

I always wore my sunglasses on the range (Oakley...always) but at night I didn't wear any.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
So I'm going to give you what most instructors will tell you and what many ranges and clubs will require. While prescription lenses are rated as shatter resistant, they are not safety glasses. There are several brands of safety glasses that will fit over your Rx glasses. Some are more comfortable than others, so I would go someplace where I could try them on first as opposed to just ordering them online.

If you are shooting any kind of semi auto there is always the chance of an empty shell casing flying back and tagging you in the eye. Actually, it's just a matter of time. If you are firing any other type of firearm there is still a chance of debris hitting you in the eye, either from something flying from your firearm or something on the range flying back as a ricochet. Happens all the time.

For hearing protection, personally when I shoot anything larger than .22 RF, I often wear both. That's because I'm pretty proud of the fact that after >40 yrs of shooting I still have 20/20 hearing -- despite four yrs as a military firearms instructor, >five yrs as a police and corrections dept instructor, and I really don't know how many yrs of civilian training. But the fact is that either plugs or muffs are usually adequate. Need to know what your instructor and/or facility requires -- it varies.

Hope this helps. Glad you joined us. Even gladder you're shooting again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting to know about the headphones/earmuffs--wasn't aware of the selective sound blocking. And, good information about the eye protection--I wondered whether there was a potential "shatter factor" but never bothered with anything previously anyway so not real informed on the matter. Now I am. :D

Thanks, everyone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy all: I'm a new guy to this site. As I've suffered a bit of hearing loss from industrial jobs in the past, I go whole hog when things get noisy(guns, mowers, chainsaws, etc.) One trick I've learned is to spend an extra moment really squeezing down the ear plugs, then pull your ear down and back, and quickly slide nearly the whole length of the plug into your ear canal. Yes, it feels weird the first time you do it, but it is LOTS more effective than 'half-way' in. With muffs added, I can handle tons of noise without a problem.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have special glasses made out of safty glass just for shooting. They weight more than regular glasses but their worth it. I wear plugs and muffs that has a volume control on them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have had no problems wearing only prescription lenses, but would not necessarily recommend anyone else to follow in my footsteps. Do what you feel is the safest for the situation. In my case, I shoot in an indoor range with minimal other people at any given time. I also just do lane shooting as opposed to any sort of tactical course, so this limits the awkward angles for casings to fly. I do often push my glasses up high on my face to block as much surface area as possible, which I probably should take as a sign that I need to be wearing actual safety glasses. :(

As for ear protection I use 25-26db mailable plugs. I find they fit best by lifting the ear upwards and back when placing them (plugs). I don't like the muffs as much for two small reasons. One: wearing glasses and muffs are very uncomfortable to me. The muffs push the arms of the glasses into the side of my head. Two: I do have earrings that interfere with the design of the muffs, and also cause some discomfort. Neither reason is too severe for me to use muffs if needed, but with plugs as an option it seems to be a no-brainer. The less distractions the better.

Good luck!
-be sure to ask at your local range what they recommend/require just to be on the safe side.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts

There ya go.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Awesome! After I get my new prescription, I will have to look these guys up.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
There are numerous companies that make inserts for ballistic glasses and what not. Shop around, you may find something else you like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts