National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into reloading but I don't know a whole lot about it. Can someone give me a lamen's terms tutorial?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Buy the book called Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Cost about $15.00 and it has a lot of good info in it. It can get you started. Speers reloading manual and Lyman are two more to get. These will help you figure out what you want and how to do it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Go to Utube and type in reloading. There are some websites that will help you out, or you can talk to gunrnr, I know he does a lot of reloading.
Some of the companies that make reloading equip are; Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Lyman and there are others, should give you a start.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I think I have a copy of the NRA guide to reloading in a box somewhere. I will take a look see and if there is one out the the shed, I'll send it to you. Give me a little time and I'll PM you if I find one.

One word of caution. Reloading can be addictive.

·
Registered
224 Posts
yup, I have probably 20000rds of factory ammo, all I shoot is reloads now except 9mm and 22lr
Is there a reason why you don't reload 9mm? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I am looking to get in to reloading as well and was planning on reloading 9mm and .45 ACP. Is there a reason why 9mm shouldn't be reloaded?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't reload 9mm? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I am looking to get in to reloading as well and was planning on reloading 9mm and .45 ACP. Is there a reason why 9mm shouldn't be reloaded?
Any of the common hand gun rounds are fairly easy to load. Alot of guys don't like it because the bullet is so small or that's what I have heard. Plus the 9mm doesn't cost that much to buy. I reload them in lots of 1,000rds at a time. They are no worst than anything else. :biggrin5:

·
Registered
241 Posts
its just not worth it too me. I can get reloads at the gun show for hardly more then it would cost me to reload them

·
Registered
201 Posts
A lot of the ammo is at gun shows is somebody else's reloads. I would rather trust me than some unknown reloader.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If I am going to shoot reloads they will be my own. I never shoot other peoples reloads. I sure wouldn't buy at a gun show. I have guns here that have never fired a round of factory ammo.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
A lot of the ammo is at gun shows is somebody else's reloads. I would rather trust me than some unknown reloader.

Gunshow reloads????? :yikes1::yikes1::yikes1::yikes1:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I guess you guys haven't heard of midwall(I think). They maufacture New and reloaded(I assume from once fired brass) ammo. You can find it on the net. I buy at the show to save on shipping. I sure wouldn't buy reloads from some dude at the show loading them at home.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
From what I read on this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42267&page=3
their quality is all over the place.

Especially interesting was this one:

I have had one problem with Miwall "new" loaded ammo... about 5 years ago I bought one of those gun show special ammo cans full of 44 mag.

Well 50 rounds into the lot my 629 was locked up with massive lead fowling, when the range looked at the brass there were burns on one side of the wall. So I gave the rest of the ammo to my friend that reloads so he could pull them for the brass, the powder charges were all over the scale. I had to have my 629 professionally cleaned and my buddy got some free brass - never again with Miwall branded ammo. I will buy from them but only known brands, heck I would take golden tiger over that stuff... BTW, AIM just got in 7.62x39

Anyone here have any experience with these guys?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I checked five 9mm reloads they were right on 4.5gr of powder.(measured on balance scale)
4 out of five bullets were within 1/10gr the last was off about 1/2gr of 124grs

seems pretty good for mass production.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Your pistol, your money, and you will be the one to pay the price if that one double charge gets through. All I'll say say is good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts