National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
I am no expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I do hunt.

What are you thinking of hunting? 30-06 is a powerful, do-all cartridge that is at its best with bullets from 150 grs - 200 grs but can be loaded to take any animal in North America. It is a good chambering, but potentially more than you need for just whitetails, for example, where the lower recoil 7mm-08 might be a better choice.

The 770 is not well-loved. I would encourage you to read a number of reviews, many of which do not have very much good to say about it. There are a number of well reviewed budget rifles available today that deliver excellent accuracy: Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, T/C Compass, and Savage Axis among them. All of these are available new at $400 or less and while they are indeed budget rifles, they are all very suitable hunting rifles with established records of accuracy.

I would pass on a 770 because there are so many good alternatives available.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
The 770 is Remington's entry level rifle. Heavy, bulky, rough and ugly. But it works and generally shoots as well as most people.
A Savage Axis II or a Mossberg Patriot will give you a better rifle for about the same money. The Savage is a better overall rifle though.
If you want one for varmint or target, the AxisII Predator is a more than adequate budget gun. I had one in 6.5 Creedmoor that would shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards of the shelf.
Mostly, it depends on what you are going to do with it.
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was watching some reviews, and a lot of people talked about some issues with it, plastic tang, stiff action, cheap stock, etc. I know it isn't a quality gun per se, but I was wondering if it was at least worth that cheap price just for killing a deer reliably.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
I cannot claim to be an expert either, but my view of the 770 is that it is a poor attempt at an entry level rifle. The Savage Axis II or Ruger American or TC Compass are all far better rifles for a comparable price. I would also note that Popeye is an expert voice; I would listen to him.

· Aim true !
14,170 Posts
I have a 770 in 30.06. It's just an entry level rifle. The action was stiff as a board for the longest time. Until i started reloading and shooting it often. I like it more now than i did before. I had mine for 10 years i think now. My remington pump is a much much better gun though. My neighbor has a 770 and he thinks it's the greatest thing in the world lol.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
This rifle is barely acceptable, at 230$, IF the bore is spotless, (they don't show, or mention it) AND you can screw the scope rings directly to the top of the receiver, without that Weaver scope mount hardware.

I have to agree, I would look elsewhere, there's a lot of better deals, WITH scopes and decent mounts for the same money you'd get into, with this rifle.

· Registered
28 Posts
Savage Axis II in Realtree Timber Camo in various calibers with a scope base are on sale right now at CDNN Sports - $299.99 with a mail in $75 rebate = $224.99 w/ free shipping. Add a scope and you'd have a competent deer rifle that gets generally good reviews.

MOSSBERG PATRIOT 6.5 CREEDMOOR $219.72 w/free shipping from Kentucky Gun Co.

Savage Arms 57238 Axis .308 22" Matte Blued / BLACK Synthetic Ergo Stock - $239.99 - $75 mail in rebate = $164.99

Savage Arms 57259 Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor 22" 3-9x40 MATTE/BLK Synthetic Ergo STK $269.99 w/free shipping - $75 mail in rebate = $194.99 <---not bad for a gun and scope. It's the older model Axis without the accu-trigger, but I have one and it's a good budget gun.

Go to gun.deals and look at the rifle category. Page down and you will find lots of good hunting rifles at good prices. And look in their black Friday sales fliers, too.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
I don’t know if Savage is still selling Axis rifles, but avoid them; the trigger is terrible. The Axis II has their accu-trigger; works good! Just beware and do not pick up an Axis, make sure it is Axis II.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the best selling discount rifles in my area are easily the Savage and the Ruger...they stock those in multiple calibers and they sell.........
mossbergs show up occasionally especially a wood stock version which seems to be the draw......

the T/C is rarely seen on shelves

only the chains like academy sports carries the lesser grade remington.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.