National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I recently purchased a .40 cal pistol in the hopes of using it for home defense AND target practice. However friends have suggested that a pistol is actually not a good home defense weapon but instead a shotgun since it has a wider spray (if using buck shot).

Has anyone actually shot an intruder entering their home or in an actual gun fight and hit the intruder using a pistol? Please no 2nd hand info, I am looking for actually 1st person accounts only.

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
You will not find to many people eager to talk about shooting someone on here, but your question is a valid one there are alot of people with good experience that will be able to provide you with some great information.

The gun you have chosen will be a good one if you practice with it, I am not saying run around your house playing rambo but you need to asess your house layout and look at it from a tactical standpoint, you need to get some type of system worked out to where you know how to get through your house and clear it if nesseary but the one thing to remeber is that no mater how good your system is it usualy goes stright in the trash as soon as something happenes.

Also shotgun vs pistol for home protection is very simple both are good, but if you have kids, room mates, or spouses in your house a shotgun is better the round still can go through a wall but not as quickly as the round from your pistol.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

P.S. rember you need to get lots of range time in with your gun dont just buy it and stick it in the night stand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Alex_H. I suppose I don't need the gory details more specifically "have there been actual cases where you shot the intruder with your pistol but wished you had a shotgun?"

Also I am going to the range as often as I'm able to practice in a calm and controlled environment. Arguments that if you can't handle your firearm in a controlled environment you will more than likely miss, shoot accidentally, etc. in a high-stress emergency situation.

Another argument was that the intruder who may come in AND has a firearm may have far more experience shooting that firearm than me. That the intruder may have more "gunfight experience."

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
It takes a lot of experience at shooting to hit anything. Unless you are skilled with your firearm you are just shooting in the wind. In a high stress encounter you will turn to putty. Bad guys have guns and bullets fly both ways. It takes mental and physical training to survive in a gun fight. There are many schools out there, join one. Good luck.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
Keep in mind even with an 18" barrel shot does not spread more then the size of a base ball when shooting at even the longest distance in a normal house. There is no such thing as just point in the direction and shoot, you have to aim or you will miss.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Keep in mind even with an 18" barrel shot does not spread more then the size of a base ball when shooting at even the longest distance in a normal house. There is no such thing as just point in the direction and shoot, you have to aim or you will miss.
I have read a few articles that express the opinion that "00" may not be the best shotgun ammo to use in a house defensive situation due to pattern spread, or lack of it, and penetration issues. Maybe No 4, 6 or even 7.5 shot might protect your neighbors more.

There are many articles in Combat Handguns and American Rifleman that give actual police accounts of individuals using a gun for self defense and the outcome of doing so. Great reading and good training for all gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Hi everyone -

I recently purchased a .40 cal pistol in the hopes of using it for home defense AND target practice. However friends have suggested that a pistol is actually not a good home defense weapon but instead a shotgun since it has a wider spray (if using buck shot).

Has anyone actually shot an intruder entering their home or in an actual gun fight and hit the intruder using a pistol? Please no 2nd hand info, I am looking for actually 1st person accounts only.

Thanks
I have lots of guns and hope that I never have to use one of them for home defense.

If you bought a .40 (?) cal pistol, by all means practice shooting targets with it as much as you can.

To quote Col. Jeff Cooper quoting someone else, "Engagements involving shotguns are usually of relative short duration". There's a lot in that statement.

Never shot anyone. Hope I never have to.

Birdshot is a stopper for close work (hearsay).

Spend the money, go to a firearms instruction class on home defense and get some of your misconceptions cleared up by someone who knows what they are talking about (not that you aren't getting good advice here). That way you can pay someone to teach you. You'll learn more that way.

Alan

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I have read a few articles that express the opinion that "00" may not be the best shotgun ammo to use in a house defensive situation due to pattern spread, or lack of it, and penetration issues. Maybe No 4, 6 or even 7.5 shot might protect your neighbors more.

There are many articles in Combat Handguns and American Rifleman that give actual police accounts of individuals using a gun for self defense and the outcome of doing so. Great reading and good training for all gun owners.
#4 buck, from what I have read is the minimum load for a shotgun round used either tactically or defensivly. Anything lighter tends to lack the energy to penetrate to vital organs at normal distances found inside the home. Though, if your home is over very light construction you may opt for a lighter load, and just shoot em twice.

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the good advice Alan! I hope I never have to shoot an intruder either but if I do I hope not to miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts