National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought and just fired a Taurus PT 145. Really liked it, but every shot was to the left, no matter the distance or no matter how hard I tried to shot straight. Obviously, if I compensated to the right then I would shoot straight, but that really isn't shooting straight!

Is is just me or could a gun be off by that much? It was probably 6-9 inches off to the right at 3, 5, & 7 yards.

I don't suck that bad with other guns!!!!!

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Check your basics, and make sure it is not you. Have a buddy that is fairly proficient with the pistol check and see if he has the same problem.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
6 inches at 3 yards is a lot! +1 on letting someone else try it. I have seen a Taurus lately that did not have the barrel centered in the slide. I imagine that would put rounds off to the side a bit. Lloking at the muzzel end is the barrel centered in the hole?

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
C-D-P posted a good help.

When I very first started shooting handguns all my shots were off and ended up at the same spot. Ends us I was anticipating the shot and when I stopped that my hits moved to the bullseye.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You say that you shoot ok with other guns. Are they semi auto pistols?

·
Former Tough Guy
117 Posts
Tried drifting the rear sight?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say that you shoot ok with other guns. Are they semi auto pistols?
Yes, everything I have is semi-auto and I am much more accurate with the others. However, this is a .45 and the first time I have shot this gun, so maybe that is part of the problem.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your basics, and make sure it is not you. Have a buddy that is fairly proficient with the pistol check and see if he has the same problem.

That is really helpful. Thanks so much.....

·
Former Tough Guy
117 Posts
Forgive me for being ignorant, but exactly what does that mean?

I think the shooting problem target is a good thing to go by.

However, if you were shooting other pistols that day, and were hitting your aim point, my suggestion is that your sights may be misaligned.

Drifting the sight means re-aligning it.....most pistols are factory regulated to the center and work just fine where they are, but some people, due to eye dominance issues or the way they grip a pistol, drift the sights (or adjust them) to the right or left.

If your sights on the new pistol are not centered, perhaps someone else adjusted them and you need to return them to center....if they are centered and you're hittiing left, moving the sight left (a very small amount at a time) should move your strike point to the right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts